Idaho jury hits Bundy, defendants with tens of millions in damages in St. Luke’s lawsuit

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Ammon Bundy, a unique and interesting individual subject to multiple run ins with the Federal government, including takeover of government property, lost a lawsuit against St. Luke's hospital. The jury just came back with a substantial damages award. Bundy had attempted to intimidate hospital staff after his grandson was rescued by authorities.

Idaho jury hits Bundy, defendants with tens of millions in damages in St. Luke’s lawsuit​

• Ammon Bundy
Sally Krutzig
Mon, July 24, 2023 at 8:06 PM CDT·4 min read

In this article:

• Ammon Bundy
    American activist

Fourteen months after St. Luke’s filed a defamation lawsuit against Ammon Bundy and another far-right activist — neither of whom ever came to court — the case has reached a conclusion.
The 12 jurors deciding damages in the civil action filed back into the courtroom early Monday evening to announce what Bundy, close associate Diego Rodriguez and their various entities would be ordered to pay the health system and other plaintiffs.
The verdict: a total of $26.5 million in compensatory damages and $26 million in punitive damages.
The $500,000 extra in the compensatory category came as a result of the jury’s finding that violations of the Idaho Charitable Solicitation Act by Rodriguez and his Freedom Man Press business had harmed the plaintiffs.

Compensatory damages are intended to repay plaintiffs for losses experienced because of defendants’ actions and punitive damages are meant to punish defendants for their actions.
“Taking legal action is not something we take lightly. But standing up to the threats, bullying, intimidation, disruption and self-serving actions of the defendants was necessary,” St. Luke’s CEO Chris Roth said in a news release Thursday night. “Inaction would have signaled that their menacing behavior was acceptable. Clearly, it is not, and the jury’s decision validates that fact.”
St. Luke’s attorney Erik Stidham told the jury on Friday that he thought $37 million would be the fairest number for compensatory damages and $16 million should be the minimum amount considered. He did not suggest an amount for punitive damages.
“My hope is that you will look at this and you will deter (Bundy) in a way that he hasn’t been deterred yet,” Stidham said in his closing statements.
Boise police arrest Ammon Bundy on a trespassing charge on March 12, 2022, at St. Luke’s hospital in Boise.

Boise police arrest Ammon Bundy on a trespassing charge on March 12, 2022, at St. Luke’s hospital in Boise.
Bundy and Rodriguez led protests at the St. Luke’s hospitals in Meridian and downtown Boise in March 2022 over a child welfare case involving Rodriguez’s 10-month-old grandchild. The lawsuit named as defendants both men, Bundy’s People’s Rights Network, Bundy’s campaign for governor, and Rodriguez’s Freedom Man website and political action committee.
The suit said the defendants then posted multiple lies online about the hospital system, its employees and the reasons the baby was taken into custody. Over the past two weeks, St. Luke’s laid out in court via witness testimony and displays the volume of material that had been circulated by the defendants.
In the end, all were hit hard monetarily:
  • Ammon Bundy: $6.2 million compensatory, $6.15 million punitive
  • People’s Rights Network: $5.2M compensatory, $5.2M punitive
  • Ammon Bundy for Governor: $1.55M compensatory, $1.65M punitive
  • Diego Rodriguez: $7M compensatory, $6.5M punitive
  • Freedom Man Press/Freedom Man PAC combined: $6.55M compensatory, $6.5M punitive

Ammon Bundy, a unique and interesting individual subject to multiple run ins with the Federal government, including takeover of government property, lost a lawsuit against St. Luke's hospital. The jury just came back with a substantial damages award. Bundy had attempted to intimidate hospital staff after his grandson was rescued by authorities.

I wonder what good a $52 Million Plus judgement has on a man not know to have more than $5 Million net worth? Any?

This is what happens when the real world intrudes on the fantasy right wing world.
Showing up in court is the least you would expect.
If he cant pay then lock him up.

Its good because: 1) he was hiding assets; 2) any court reduction will still hammer him.

Why you guys and girls hate freedom?
What does his libel and threats against a hospital and its employees because they FOLLOWED THE LAW AND REPORTED CHILD NEGLECT have to do with freedom? I thought you were gung ho protect the kids now? I guess not.

What does his libel and threats against a hospital and its employees because they FOLLOWED THE LAW AND REPORTED CHILD NEGLECT have to do with freedom? I thought you were gung ho protect the kids now? I guess not.

The Bundy's have been harassed by the government for decades and the medical system is just a part of that government. It's really easy to get some medical "professional" to claim that a child is being abused, after which the government invariably exerts it force against you.

That same system would sure have no problem in murdering an unborn child of providing assisted suicide.

The Bundy's have been harassed by the government for decades and the medical system is just a part of that government. It's really easy to get some medical "professional" to claim that a child is being abused, after which the government invariably exerts it force against you.
Thats nuts. Its a private, nonprofit hospital, founded by the Episcopal church in 1902. You are a serious, serious loon.
That same system would sure have no problem in murdering an unborn child of providing assisted suicide.
You know this how?
They are mandated reporters. They have to report suspected abuse. You are again a seerious, serious loon.

What freedom? The freedom to starve an infant? I read the kid was severely malnourished.

That was only the opinion of a medical "professional" and obviously you truth them far more than I do.

How many jabs of the clot shot does that make now? 10?

That was only the opinion of a medical "professional" and obviously you truth them far more than I do.

How many jabs of the clot shot does that make now? 10?
So if it's not the freedom to starve a child what freedom were you referring to?

The "professional" was a medical doctor. What kind of "professional" are you?

Thats nuts. Its a private, nonprofit hospital, founded by the Episcopal church in 1902. You are a serious, serious loon.

You know this how?
They are mandated reporters. They have to report suspected abuse. You are again a seerious, serious loon.

The protest was organized after Garden City Police, Meridian Police and Boise Police stopped a family at a Garden City gas station late Friday night and took into custody a 10-month-old baby who authorities believed to be in danger of imminent harm, according to a news release from the Meridian Police Department.

The keyword there is "believed."

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article259345744.html

The protest was organized after Garden City Police, Meridian Police and Boise Police stopped a family at a Garden City gas station late Friday night and took into custody a 10-month-old baby who authorities believed to be in danger of imminent harm, according to a news release from the Meridian Police Department.

Whats the freedom again? are you saying our police patriots who have been charged with reporting abused children and child suspected of being trafficked are bad? What kind of commie leftist are you?

You are describing probable cause, idiot

Tens of millions in fines for "attempting to intimidate" hospital staff? You gotta be kidding, it happens all the time in big city hospitals.

Whats the freedom again? are you saying our police patriots who have been charged with reporting abused children and child suspected of being trafficked are bad? What kind of commie leftist are you?

Turn off the fake outrage already, you're cracking me up. You care as little about that baby as you do those Black children being shot down on inner-city playgrounds. The only reason this story has any relevance to you is because you think Bundy is some kind of "right-wing hero."

It's a "nothing" story and a waste of USMB bandwith.

Turn off the fake outrage already, you're cracking me up. You care as little about that baby as you do those Black children being shot down on inner-city playgrounds. The only reason this story has any relevance to you is because you think Bundy is some kind of "right-wing hero."

It's a "nothing" story and a waste of USMB bandwith.
^^ got grabbed by Zincwarrior

Forum List

Back