ID Old Hippy Tune

Pavel Svinchnik

Jan 28, 2018
I can’t remember the name of a rock song from the psychedelic era of the late 60’s. You hear it in elevators and stores as background music these days and it’s going round and round in my head.

The song is sort of soft and gentle in tone, similar to “California Dreaming”; I believe it was sung by a mixed group, male/female.

I don’t remember the words but the chorus starts a sentence then cuts off in the middle, repeats the cutoff version, then does the whole thing, something like the rhythm of the following:

I know my A
I know my A
I know my A B C’s

The notes for the lines above are, as near as I can remember them,

D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B-C-D

I've asked my aging hippy friends, but nobody can identify the tune. Maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing, but if it sounds like anything you remember, please let me know.

It sounds like it could be Lazy Day by Spanky and our Gang. There is a part of the chorus that goes Lazy Day, Lazy Day, Lazy Day for you and me which fits your pattern.

I can’t remember the name of a rock song from the psychedelic era of the late 60’s. You hear it in elevators and stores as background music these days and it’s going round and round in my head.

The song is sort of soft and gentle in tone, similar to “California Dreaming”; I believe it was sung by a mixed group, male/female.

I don’t remember the words but the chorus starts a sentence then cuts off in the middle, repeats the cutoff version, then does the whole thing, something like the rhythm of the following:

I know my A
I know my A
I know my A B C’s

D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B-C-D

I've asked my aging hippy friends, but nobody can identify the tune. Maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing, but if it sounds like anything you remember, please let me know.

Trying to think of something with a stop-time like that.... how 'bout:

D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B-C-D

Would the song be in D then?

This chorus section seems to be in D, although the C is natural, not sharped. Not sure about the rest of the song, I can't remember anything but this strange chorus with the broken and repeated section.

I find that if I let the song keep playing in my head sooner or later some lyrics show up. Or another melodic hook.

This is an interesting mystery. Is anything close at all so far? Is it in 4/4? Fast tempo? Slow?

It sounds like it could be Lazy Day by Spanky and our Gang. There is a part of the chorus that goes Lazy Day, Lazy Day, Lazy Day for you and me which fits your pattern.

That pattern is 3-3-7 syllables; the one I remember is 4-4-6

D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B
D-D-C-B-C-D

Would the song be in D then?

This chorus section seems to be in D, although the C is natural, not sharped. Not sure about the rest of the song, I can't remember anything but this strange chorus with the broken and repeated section.

I find that if I let the song keep playing in my head sooner or later some lyrics show up. Or another melodic hook.

This is an interesting mystery. Is anything close at all so far? Is it in 4/4? Fast tempo? Slow?

I've played all the postings (thanks to everyone who responded) but nothing is quite right. I would put it at 4/4. Medium tempo.

Jackson 5's "ABC"? I'm not going to look it up for the year, but I believe it was 70s.

That pattern is 3-3-7 syllables; the one I remember is 4-4-6
Is there any syncopation in the chorus pattern or all the notes essentially quarter notes?

Forum List

Back