I Told You So

The quality of our fast food places around here is terrible. Sometimes you get a McDonald's fish sandwich and there is barely any sauce on it. Or you get a Big Mac and not only did they forget the pickles, it looks like a drunk at a bar assembled the burger. A machine would make food just like it looks in the commercials.
At least it would be consistent from sandwich to sandwich. You wouldn't have to hope they didn't forget the pickles, and you wouldn't have to hope the fry cook wasn't hung over and called out sick so they put the floor sweeper on burger duty.

I`m guessing that he thinks $7.25 an hour is too much money for unskilled labor.
If the labor market is not flooded with illegals, there's no way anyone gets paid $7.25 an hour. Both my teenaged kids started at $10.00 or above. Nobody can pay $7.25 right now because the illegal supply chain was disrupted for so long. But soon.....have no fear.....it will be back down in short order.

Well as everyone goes back into quarantine....a new hobby of motor controls, hydraulics and electronics in robotics can be had....instead of jigsaw puzzle, sewing and knitting and bread making.

Food stylist actually makes the food in the pictures. It's an industry all in itself.

The food you get will never look like it's picture. Nor would you want it to...food stylist food isn't edible.

Understood, but when we had a better group of people taking these jobs, those sandwiches at least got close to the ads. When we were kids a friend of mine worked at Burger King. He stopped by after work and brought some food with him. He bragged how he can make the perfect Whopper, and damn it, he certainly did.

We are promoting the idea of replacing people with robots. There will be no choice whether to work or not.

I'm not promoting anything. I'm just pointing out what happens as labor costs increase. If you have a lot of grass to cut, it may be worth your money to hire a lawn care service at $50.00 a cut. As time goes on and the service keeps increasing the rate until it's double of that, you say screw it. For the amount of money I blow on lawn care in one season, I can buy a nice new lawn tractor and do the damn thing myself.

Business works the same way. When labor costs increase to the point it's cheaper to replace people with machines, that's what companies will do. As I mentioned earlier, we don't have the cost of living other places do, so people can work for less money, and we don't have any totally automated restaurants here yet. Human labor is cheaper.

I'm not promoting anything. I'm just pointing out what happens as labor costs increase. If you have a lot of grass to cut, it may be worth your money to hire a lawn care service at $50.00 a cut. As time goes on and the service keeps increasing the rate until it's double of that, you say screw it. For the amount of money I blow on lawn care in one season, I can buy a nice new lawn tractor and do the damn thing myself.

Business works the same way. When labor costs increase to the point it's cheaper to replace people with machines, that's what companies will do. As I mentioned earlier, we don't have the cost of living other places do, so people can work for less money, and we don't have any totally automated restaurants here yet. Human labor is cheaper.

I never argued that. I said I am jealous of the time when robots take over and people won't have to work.

Pay people a fair wage or a minimum wage you cheap scumbag.
What happens to the summer jobs meant for teenagers living at home rent free, with their clothes, food and shelter paid for by parents when you raise the minimum wage too high for businesses to remain profitable? The jobs disappear.

Not everyone is worthy of an income high enough to sustain a household, especially high school students still living out of their parents' wallets.

It helps to go to college...but completely unnecessary. Tradesman are the future backbone of the economy. Everything needs maintenance and repairs.

That all depends. In the 80's I used to fix medical equipment for home and institution use. I enjoyed the job. Eventually technology got to the point those things didn't break any longer, and the producers sold products with a 3 year warranty. As far as the company was concerned, after 3 years, the product was worth 0 dollars. Eventually they had no need for me any longer and I was out of a job.

What happens to the summer jobs meant for teenagers living at home rent free, with their clothes, food and shelter paid for by parents when you raise the minimum wage too high for businesses to remain profitable? The jobs disappear.

Not everyone is worthy of an income high enough to sustain a household, especially high school students still living out of their parents' wallets.

That's what happens when heads of households have to take those kinds of jobs because we replaced the jobs they used to get with robots or sent the jobs overseas.

I never argued that. I said I am jealous of the time when robots take over and people won't have to work.

People will always have to work. Even with automation, people have to build, maintain and repair the stuff. The problem is when we wipe out nearly all non-skilled and blue collar jobs. Not everybody is geared for higher education. If you don't have the ability to learn these things, and there are few blue-collar jobs in which to make a living, what are these people going to do? I'll be off this planet by then thank goodness, but I see a real problem in our future.

Whose wallets should high school students be living off and how do you know what jobs were "meant for teenagers". This isn`t 1970.

People will always have to work. Even with automation, people have to build, maintain and repair the stuff. The problem is when we wipe out nearly all non-skilled and blue collar jobs. Not everybody is geared for higher education. If you don't have the ability to learn these things, and there are few blue-collar jobs in which to make a living, what are these people going to do? I'll be off this planet by then thank goodness, but I see a real problem in our future.

And those people will still have to eat and pay bills and buy the things produced so they will get a wage to not work.

And those people will still have to eat and pay bills and buy the things produced so they will get a wage to not work.

No they won't because nobody pays another person not to work except for government, and our government today is 28 trillion in debt and growing. If the Democrats have their way, it will be over 30 trillion very soon.

No they won't because nobody pays another person not to work except for government, and our government today is 28 trillion in debt and growing. If the Democrats have their way, it will be over 30 trillion very soon.

It went up $8 trillion under Trump. If they don't get paid they steal what you have. Whatever.

If not for the latest tax cuts and our $2 trillion dollar search for WMDs that weren`t there the debt would be less. The Republicans had their way and put a totally unnecessary $4 trillion on the credit card. We also filled 4,400 body bags with American soldiers but only the money is important, right?

If not for the latest tax cuts and our $2 trillion dollar search for WMDs that weren`t there the debt would be less. The Republicans had their way and put a totally unnecessary $4 trillion on the credit card. We also filled 4,400 body bags with American soldiers but only the money is important, right?

We did that under Obama also.

You miss my point.

if their job is automated, they earn $0
Indeed, some will lose their jobs. Others are preparing for a better way to utilize AI and still maintain jobs:
“For business leaders navigating the AI workforce transition, the key to unlocking the productivity potential while delivering on business objectives lies in three key strategies: rebalancing resources, investing in workforce reskilling and, on a larger scale, advancing new models of education and lifelong learning.”

Many corps are retraining their workforce for augmentation with AI, instead of waiting until it’s too late to do so. Those corp heads not getting on board are risking their businesses having a significant reduction of human workers in their futures. There will be small businesses who will still function effectively without much of an external change, but even these small business owners will still very much consider using newer options that will soon be available for the public and will continue to be made available.

Forum List

Back