I really miss good seafood that you don't need to re-mortgage the house to buy.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
When you live in far inland states, decent seafood is absolutely outrageously expensive.
We wanted some fresh Salmon... but for Christ sake - $27/lb. for the real thing?
So I bought some Atlantic farm raised, which I knew was not going to be as good as wild caught. Still $16/lb.
Disappointing. Farm raised Salmon has less taste and a grainier texture I can pan fry the best fish you will ever get. Perfectly cooked.
But it is still dry. Because of the texture and meat differences - it is next to impossible to get the interior of farm Salmon non raw without overcooking the outside unless you fry in very low fire. Which you don't want because you can't get a sear. Wild Salmon cooked exactly the same way delivers a far superior product. Not even close to drying out.
Same with Rainbow trout or Arctic Char.

Alright I am done complaining.

I can barely bring myself to eat any of that farm raised frozen seafood. I live right on the Gulf coast and always get the good stuff. I had fresh jumbo shrimp last night and it was delicious. The difference in taste is night and day.

When you live in far inland states, decent seafood is absolutely outrageously expensive.
We wanted some fresh Salmon... but for Christ sake - $27/lb. for the real thing?
So I bought some Atlantic farm raised, which I knew was not going to be as good as wild caught. Still $16/lb.
Disappointing. Farm raised Salmon has less taste and a grainier texture I can pan fry the best fish you will ever get. Perfectly cooked.
But it is still dry. Because of the texture and meat differences - it is next to impossible to get the interior of farm Salmon non raw without overcooking the outside unless you fry in very low fire. Which you don't want because you can't get a sear. Wild Salmon cooked exactly the same way delivers a far superior product. Not even close to drying out.
Same with Rainbow trout or Arctic Char.

Alright I am done complaining.
So let me see if I can get your whining here.

You are upset because wild caught salmon is expensive, mostly because we'd reduced the population of wild salmon through overfishing.

Your side has destroyed their habitat through logging, overfishing, pollution and climate change, and now you are hear whining like a little bitch because it's too expensive and the alternative doesn't taste right to you.

I can barely bring myself to eat any of that farm raised frozen seafood. I live right on the Gulf coast and always get the good stuff. I had fresh jumbo shrimp last night and it was delicious. The difference in taste is night and day.
I like the sea bass.

Like everything else in the world, modern corporatism has ruined seafood.
Tilapia has taken over supermarkets everywhere. Why? Because it is literally the only fish that can survive the filthy, polluted waters in Asia/South Asia. They are pumped to the max with anti-biotics also.
I hate corporatism. Hate.

IMO - Arctic Char is the best fish on the planet.
Sweeter and less fishy than Salmon, and I love Salmon.
Rainbow Trout is also outstanding.
Catfish can be, but unfortunately so many rivers in the U.S. are so polluted that eating river catfish is not a good idea.

Enjoy your worms.
No worms In the tuna. I get sushi grade yellow-fin Tuna around here for a fairly reasonable price. Cook it on a hot grill 3 minutes on either side and it's like the steaks they have in heaven. If you haven't tried it you are missing out on one of the finest things in life.

No worms In the tuna. I get sushi grade yellow-fin Tuna around here for a fairly reasonable price. Cook it on a hot grill 3 minutes on either side and it's like the steaks they have in heaven. If you haven't tried it you are missing out on one of the finest things in life.
I don't eat rare anything. Burnt on both sides and in the middle is fine by me. ;)

Forum List

Back