I predict Picard will be total garbage

You guys can't seem to find shows that pander to your morality and ethics, because the characters that share them are always the bad guys that everyone enjoys watching get pasted.
Actually, we find that in fiction, those with your morality and ethics tend to be much like the Eloi. Food for others.

You think Kirk kissing Uhura wasn't making a point?
Not really. Everyone knew Kirk was randy as hell.

Ah, no, Wayne. The entire point of Uhura, Sulu, Scott, Chekov and especially Spock was to break the entire doctrine of fear of all white all the time and drive home the message that all people of every race (or planet) are equal, and can live together in peace and harmony toward a higher end than mere acquisition of wealth or power.

Yes, the Kirk/Uhura kiss was aimed straight at testing and breaking the racial boundary on TV, but Kirk didn't kiss her because he was "randy," he kissed her because he was being forced to by the people there where he was at.
Its a joke. I've probably forgotten more Star Trek than most people will ever know.

BTW, here is a hint. SF writers have been breaking the whole "white man" thing (a more self-hating phrase has never been uttered) since the early part of the last century.

Star Trek just put on film what was already going on in books.

Good to hear. But I haven't forgotten any Star Trek. I've probably forgotten more than you ever knew to begin with. I have Sci-Fi books dating back to the 1940s and Amazing Stories and Plastic Man. I'm familiar with every famous writer plus some I doubt you've ever heard of. It was always a white-dominated medium written by mostly white people. If you have examples of Blacks having roles, dominant roles in early 20th century science fiction, I'd love to see it! Seems writers were more comfortable introducing space aliens long before they were comfortable accepting the black man as just "one of the guys." Roddenberry broke that.
I find it laughable to think that you believe you know more. I've only been watching and wrapped in the genre since I was 5 years old when I was watching the Original Series as it actually happened. Then the decade and a half of reruns, syndications, and more books than I can count. I have SF from the early part of the last century.

But hey, if it floats your boat, knock yourself out. I will just carry on secure in My knowledge and enjoyment of ScyFi AND Fantasy with my particular love of Star Trek.

Fine. Then tell me this:

1. What were the three episodes Barbara Babcock was used in?
  2. Who originally was supposed to play Lazarus in Prod. #20?
  3. Who did the voice of the Gorn?
  4. Who was set to replace Nimoy for Season Two as Spock after contract negotiations stalled?
  5. Where did they get the name for the milk truck seen in City On The Edge of Forever? And why was that episode #28?

Hits today can have very few viewers compared to the past.
So how do you tell a hit from a loser then?

Or basically you're saying there are so many channels now, there's one to carry most any kind of garbage?
They got paid a lot less back then with shows a lot longer or closer to an hour filmed with 30 million people watching while today they are millionaires pretty quickly with a few million people watching. The graphics have improved immensely but the action has stalled to much as the shows are preachy. Top ST series for me.....TOS and Voyager.

Or basically you're saying there are so many channels now, there's one to carry most any kind of garbage?
They got paid a lot less back then with shows a lot longer or closer to an hour filmed with 30 million people watching while today they are millionaires pretty quickly with a few million people watching. The graphics have improved immensely but the action has stalled to much as the shows are preachy. Top ST series for me.....TOS and Voyager.

The holodeck doctor on Voyager was priceless.

You mean I give Gene credit for creating Star Trek and revolutionizing all of science fiction from basically space operas with Flash Gordon rockets to a believable model of the future all based in credible theory researched out by the Rand Corporation? Gee.

Not really. What revolutionized "space opera" was Star Wars. If it weren't for Star Wars, no one would have made more Star Trek. They let Gene have control of the first movie, and it was a mess. The series really didn't get going until the Wrath of Khan, where they kicked him into a consultant role.

David is an ass who wrote one good novel, The Space Skimmer. The Producer is everything. Gene worked his BUTT off doing the work of ten people to get Star Trek on the air. He single-handedly produced the first half of the 1st season! Today, they have half a dozen producers.

Again, so what? He also cheated writers out of credit, sexually harassed his female stars. If they had a #MeToo movement in the 1960's, his name would be mud.

It had its problems. They were trying to find their way redoing a TV cult classic without trying to appear to compete with or replace a venerable icon. The actors were uncomfortable for the same reasons. Some of it got a little preachy. It took a season to smooth out. That was mostly DC Fontana that preached. Wesley never bothered me, it was Dr. Crusher I couldn't stand. But all in all, the 1st season had a number of good episodes, regardless.

The first episode had maybe ONE good episode. The guy who saved that series was Rick Berman. (who then went on to fuck up Voyager and Enterprise, so there's that.)

I can't help it if the truth hurts you. You just want to justify your love of the new crap because you'll suck up anything with space battles and people with rubber faces. Far far better than Discovery or Picard put together is The Orville. It is more 'star trek' than those two.

I agree, the Orville is TNG with Poop Jokes. I don't think we needed TNG with poop jokes. We also didn't need TNG with less charismatic actors, which describes Voyager.

The game changer was DS9, where they didn't resolve every problem by the end of the episode. I would like to say it revolutionized TV shows, but I really think Babylon 5 did it first and better. (Then again, Paramount stole JMS's ideas.)

You mean I give Gene credit for creating Star Trek and revolutionizing all of science fiction from basically space operas with Flash Gordon rockets to a believable model of the future all based in credible theory researched out by the Rand Corporation? Gee.

Not really. What revolutionized "space opera" was Star Wars. If it weren't for Star Wars, no one would have made more Star Trek.)

You are truly one mega-idiot. Star Wars never would have happened in the first place if Star Trek hadn't created the venue for it and showed the industry there was a market for BIG budget science fiction.

You guys can't seem to find shows that pander to your morality and ethics, because the characters that share them are always the bad guys that everyone enjoys watching get pasted.
Actually, we find that in fiction, those with your morality and ethics tend to be much like the Eloi. Food for others.
Nah, delusional self soothing. You find my morality and ethics to be Superior to yours, and that makes you gwumpy.

The holodeck doctor on Voyager was priceless.
He had more character development then any of them.

The last thing we need is another Star Trek show, especially one featuring Jean Luc Picard, a very boring character from the very boring Next Generation show.
Exactly my sentiment. Like Star Wars or Dr. Who, time to end the franchises and do something fresh and original...

You are truly one mega-idiot. Star Wars never would have happened in the first place if Star Trek hadn't created the venue for it and showed the industry there was a market for BIG budget science fiction.

Um... no. Not really.

Hey, I love Star Trek, but honestly, claiming it was the Be All and End All of Science Fiction is a bit silly. It was a cult show that got blown up into a major property because Star Wars opened the door for that sort of thing.

Um... no. Not really.

Hey, I love Star Trek, but honestly, claiming it was the Be All and End All of Science Fiction is a bit silly. It was a cult show that got blown up into a major property because Star Wars opened the door for that sort of thing.

Ignorant jackass. Do you EVER know anything about anything you ever talk about? Star Trek became a "major property" in the early 70's when it was picked up and went into syndication. It's massive write in campaigns and other things chartered the entire future for sci-fi not only for its believably, but because of its vision. Without Star Trek, there would be no Star Wars.

Ignorant jackass. Do you EVER know anything about anything you ever talk about? Star Trek became a "major property" in the early 70's when it was picked up and went into syndication. It's massive write in campaigns and other things chartered the entire future for sci-fi not only for its believably, but because of its vision. Without Star Trek, there would be no Star Wars.

Guy, in the 1970's, no one gave a crap about Star Trek, which is why you had people writing fan fic about gay Spock and Kirk, and people were making unauthorized games based on Star Trek, because Paramount didn't even care about enforcing the copyrights. It was very much a nerd sub-culture.

A 'Star Trek' novel was published depicting Kirk and Spock as gay lovers. 'Killing Time' (1985) included "slash" (same-sex) themes that were supposed to be edited out, but the wrong version was printed. The publisher could not recall all copies sent to stores, and fans quickly bought them. : books

Star Fleet Battles - Wikipedia

Then Star Wars hit the screens, not because Star Trek laid any groundwork for it. (Star Wars was more influenced by Flash Gordon and Dune, which George Lucas couldn't get the rights to, so he made up his own universe). It became such a huge smash that you had a mass of imitators. One of those was Paramount saying, "Hey, don't we have the rights to that Star Truck show" and they paid all the fat, washed up actors a pittance to show up for the "Motionless Picture", which I have to add, is pretty much unwatchable.

Guy, in the 1970's, no one gave a crap about Star Trek, which is why you had people writing fan fic about gay Spock and Kirk, and people were making unauthorized games based on Star Trek, because Paramount didn't even care about enforcing the copyrights. It was very much a nerd sub-culture.

A 'Star Trek' novel was published depicting Kirk and Spock as gay lovers. 'Killing Time' (1985) included "slash" (same-sex) themes that were supposed to be edited out, but the wrong version was printed. The publisher could not recall all copies sent to stores, and fans quickly bought them. : books

Then Star Wars hit the screens, not because Star Trek laid any groundwork for it. (Star Wars was more influenced by Flash Gordon and Dune, which George Lucas couldn't get the rights to, so he made up his own universe). It became such a huge smash that you had a mass of imitators. One of those was Paramount saying, "Hey, don't we have the rights to that Star Truck show" and they paid all the fat, washed up actors a pittance to show up for the "Motionless Picture", which I have to add, is pretty much unwatchable.
People did care about Star Trek in the 1970's. UHF stations were gobbling up everything they can get with most of the 1950's shows being in their broadcast stream. As shows from the 1960's became available in syndication Star Trek became an enormous hit in its reruns. Many newspapers with TV ads would have images of the stars or the Enterprise circling a planet. A cartoon was made for Saturday mornings and there was supposed to be a remake series. That was cancelled for a movie. Which was so so. In a way it was ahead of its time. Even though it still had some 1960's ways on it.

People did care about Star Trek in the 1970's. UHF stations were gobbling up everything they can get with most of the 1950's shows being in their broadcast stream. As shows from the 1960's became available in syndication Star Trek became an enormous hit in its reruns. Many newspapers with TV ads would have images of the stars or the Enterprise circling a planet. A cartoon was made for Saturday mornings and there was supposed to be a remake series. That was cancelled for a movie. Which was so so. In a way it was ahead of its time. Even though it still had some 1960's ways on it.

Some things have held up, some things haven't.

The funny thing about syndication is that a series had to run for at least three seasons to get into syndication. So the reason why we remember Star Trek today and not Land of The Giants is because the latter didn't have more than two seasons.

Point was, it was an Rembrandt at a garage sale until Star Wars opened the door for it.

And this isn't because I'm a big Star Wars fan. Star Trek was always better and smarter. But I'm a realist.

Guy, in the 1970's, no one gave a crap about Star Trek
LICK ME Moron, you don't know shit. Not about a damn thing you ever write. Not only was the 1970s a herald to a plethora or works you apparently don't know JACK about (which I own), not only to a ground-breaking Star Trek cartoon to have the unprecedented voices of nearly all the original actors, not only to a titanic movement of fan conventions involving millions, but also the preamble to the release of a new Star Trek II TV series which dragged on for years due to contract disagreements, culminating in the release of the first Star Trek movie, and the designs and plans originally developed for Star Trek II eventually seeing light in the TNG to be released a few years after that.

No one ever would have had the courage to film Star Wars and invest that kind of capital if not for the interest created by Star Trek over the decade preceding that.

Hell, I remember in the early 1970s, Star Trek was on TWICE a night M-F then on again on Saturday as well. I think by the early 70s I estimated having seen every episode around 60 times. There were Star Trek models, the highest selling model in all of history at its time, conventions, blue prints, books, novels, manuals, charts, you name it.

Star Wars amounted to three movies over a set of about 8 years.

Now they have brought back two new Star Trek TV series. Can you imagine them trying a Star Wars TV series? It would bomb.

LICK ME Moron, you don't know shit. Not about a damn thing you ever write. Not only was the 1970s a herald to a plethora or works you apparently don't know JACK about (which I own), not only to a ground-breaking Star Trek cartoon

Have you ever watched the Animated Series. "Oh my God, a Giant Spock!!!!" It was fucking silly.

William Shatner said he used to record his lines when he was on the Shitter... which seems appropriate.

but also the preamble to the release of a new Star Trek II TV series which dragged on for years due to contract disagreements, culminating in the release of the first Star Trek movie,

Point was, no one was interested in a second star trek series OR a movie until Star Wars showed there was money to be made. They pissed away a lot of money on the Motionless Picture, which was boring, none of the actors looked like they gave a fuck. What saved Star Trek was that some people who knew what they were doing ignored Roddenberry and made the Wrath of Khan on a budget. And they thought that was going to be the end of it until it made a shitload of money and they had to bring Spock back to life.

No one ever would have had the courage to film Star Wars and invest that kind of capital if not for the interest created by Star Trek over the decade preceding that.

Quit the contrary... Lucas had to fight a lot harder than Roddenberry did to get his vision on screen. Lucas is famous for having bucked the Studio system, creating a whole new era of independent production companies that changed the face of film.

Have you ever watched the Animated Series. "Oh my God, a Giant Spock!!!!" It was fucking silly. William Shatner said he used to record his lines when he was on the Shitter... which seems appropriate.
The Animated series explored things not possible to do in the live TV series. So you didn't like one of them. The episodes tried to keep true to the original show. Some of them won awards. One of the best was The Slaver Weapon. I wish they had been drawn better and had been an hour long, but it was still unique in the annals of television.

Bill Shatner never said that of course. You have to go into a studio to record lines. Not only are you a liar, you're an idiot, a flaming asshole and a bottom feeding troll as always whose never had a single honest intelligent post here.

Forum List

Back