I kind of wish that I wrestled as a kid

Ask your kids if they want to wrestle and it’s best to start in Middle school as HS is too late .
I would argue middle school is too late. Best to start out in Freestyle as young as possible. That's usually 6 and under. If you wait until middle school they will have to rely mainly on any physical advantage they have over other kids just to crack the lineup. Better if they already have knowledge of form, style, moves, counters, etc.
I started in 9th grade and was on varsity by 11th grade. I went to some summer camps though. I liked the sport and do wish I had started sooner.

I always thought that wrestling was silly and totally gay as a kid !!
I never knew how bad azz and killer it was until I saw the early UFC

A college wrestler would obliterate any boxer .

My mma class has some wrestling but it’s not enough .
When I go against any HS wrestler I end up on my butt in guard . I can’t stop them .
Ask your kids if they want to wrestle and it’s best to start in Middle school as HS is too late .

My HS had a lousy coach , so without a good coach I would have sucked

Instead I played super gay tennis is my fancy cloths

Wrestling was the rich kid way to a earning an athletic letter in my high school. No more, no less.
Sheesh. Wrestling has one of the lowest barriers to entry of most sports I can think of. All you need is a singlet, headgear, some John Smiths and your ready to go. Want to talk expensive; try ice hockey. Minimum gear costs start in the mid to high hundreds of dollars. Even more for goalies. You certainly get what you pay for as well. Add to that the cost of buying crap loads of tape, replacement sticks, having skates sharpened, and your talking about thousands of dollars as you outgrow old gear.

I didn't say they did it for cost. I said they did it because of the lack of a need to win to letter.

When I go against any HS wrestler I end up on my butt in guard . I can’t stop them .

Wrestling was the rich kid way to a earning an athletic letter in my high school. No more, no less.
Sheesh. Wrestling has one of the lowest barriers to entry of most sports I can think of. All you need is a singlet, headgear, some John Smiths and your ready to go. Want to talk expensive; try ice hockey. Minimum gear costs start in the mid to high hundreds of dollars. Even more for goalies. You certainly get what you pay for as well. Add to that the cost of buying crap loads of tape, replacement sticks, having skates sharpened, and your talking about thousands of dollars as you outgrow old gear.

I didn't say they did it for cost. I said they did it because of the lack of a need to win to letter.
I guess I don't understand then. Winning isn't required for lettering. It's the ultimate participation award.

I am doing BJJ only right now

I guess wrestling may have burned me out starting at age 6

I wanted to add a few kick boxing classes but I would have to get up at 730am
I hate getting up early

From what we've learned about you here, you were almost certainly too weak to wrestle when you were a kid. You saved yourself some humiliation.

Wrestling is fun but in competition, there is always chance this could happen. Highlights! Stoliarenko Snaps Clark’s Arm With Quick Sub

Forum List

Back