I just don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
dilloduck said:
It would be lovely if everyone just give us our space but it aint gonna happen so the next step is to learn how to live in a world that has other people in it who are different than you.

I'm actually quite accepting of *all* people. I just believe that personal property should be just that.. "personal and off limits". I also believe that a workplace is a businesslike environment for exactly that - conducting business.

MissileMan said:
Why is appropriate time and place such a difficult thing for you to understand? Having sex with the Mrs. is appropriate. Having sex with the Mrs. in the middle of the street during rush hour is inappropriate. Preaching the gospel is appropriate. Preaching the gospel in a crowded bar during the Super Bowl is inappropriate. Teaching your kids about Christianity at your home and your church is appropriate. Trying to teach everyone's kids about Christianity at public school is inappropriate.

When were the Appropriate Rules enacted and who voted on em?

Shattered said:
I'm actually quite accepting of *all* people. I just believe that personal property should be just that.. "personal and off limits". I also believe that a workplace is a businesslike environment for exactly that - conducting business.

I go to a place of business to conduct my PERSONAL business

dilloduck said:

Well, I dunno about where you live, but here, having sex in the middle of the freeway during rush hour is illegal, and will get you a hefty fine. :D:D

Shattered said:
Well, I dunno about where you live, but here, having sex in the middle of the freeway during rush hour is illegal, and will get you a hefty fine. :D:D
In Austin you can walk around topless

dilloduck said:
I go to a place of business to conduct my PERSONAL business

Correct.. And if you were to come to Job 1, it would have something to do with computer repair, or network installation. If you were to come to Job 2, it would have something to do with personal hygiene. :)

But, nobody has told me yet why I must be continually accepting of other peoples wishes, and must always strive to "rise above", and accept what they're saying with a smile, but nobody should worry about how uncomfortable I may feel...in my own place of business...

dilloduck said:
In Austin you can walk around topless

Here, it's called "Indecent exposure", and you get a fine for it. If you don't immediately rectify the problem, you go to jail.

Shattered said:
If someone comes in to work spouting their religious crap, I don't have the option of leaving. I'm forced to face them, smile, and engage in their conversation. To me, that's exceptionally unfair. If I offend them by telling them I'm simply not interested, we risk losing a customer, which is bad for business...

There are people who work and that do believe in G-d and have to listen to people talk about "Bible thumping believers", etc. It goes both ways. Why do you continually act like it is only one way, then PM me wanting to know why I don't "like" you because I point this out?

dilloduck said:
In a lot of cases there are laws governing appropriateness. If need be, lets pass some legislation that covers things like this.

freeandfun1 said:
Shattered said:
If someone comes in to work spouting their religious crap, I don't have the option of leaving. I'm forced to face them, smile, and engage in their conversation. To me, that's exceptionally unfair. If I offend them by telling them I'm simply not interested, we risk losing a customer, which is bad for business...[/QUOTE

There are people who work and that do believe in G-d and have to listen to people talk about "Bible thumping believers", etc. It goes both ways. Why do you continually act like it is only one way, then PM me wanting to know why I don't "like" you because I point this out?

You obviously haven't read the entire thread, but instead have just picked apart small portions of my posts. Did you (again) miss the portion wherein I state I'm extremely tolerant of ALL people, but I believe work should be for work, and you should not touch my personal property?

MissileMan said:
Why is appropriate time and place such a difficult thing for you to understand? Having sex with the Mrs. is appropriate. Having sex with the Mrs. in the middle of the street during rush hour is inappropriate. Preaching the gospel is appropriate. Preaching the gospel in a crowded bar during the Super Bowl is inappropriate. Teaching your kids about Christianity at your home and your church is appropriate. Trying to teach everyone's kids about Christianity at public school is inappropriate.

Nice absurd analogy.

What constitutes appropriateness varies from person to person.

Free speech is not limited to nonreligious topics. THat's your bias shining through.

Hey missileman, are you jewish?

Shattered said:
Here, it's called "Indecent exposure", and you get a fine for it. If you don't immediately rectify the problem, you go to jail.

different laws--different places---that's why people choose to live where they do and participate in govt but to try to outlaw free speech because you don't like what is said in not only illlegal but a really bizarre thing to expect others to do when you are not willing to comply yourself!

Shattered said:
You obviously haven't read the entire thread, but instead have just picked apart small portions of my posts. Did you (again) miss the portion wherein I state I'm extremely tolerant of ALL people, but I believe work should be for work, and you should not touch my personal property?

You claim tolerance, but frankly I don't see it. You seem to not really understand free speech at all.

Shattered said:

That doesn't matter, I replied to your specific point. Why are Christians expected to be tolerant of others bashing them, but you get upset at having to be tolerant of Christians? There is that double standard I was speaking of.

rtwngAvngr said:
You claim tolerance, but frankly I don't see it. You seem to not really understand free speech at all.

Show me where free speech allows you to put your hands on my body, and on my car. Show me the laws that state this is perfectly acceptable.

The work thing is simply common courtesy.

Shattered said:
Show me where free speech allows you to put your hands on my body, and on my car. Show me the laws that state this is perfectly acceptable.

You've gone loony, that's not speech, it's vandalism. I don't defend such actions, nor have I ever. get a grip.

No. The work thing is you being intolerant.

Shattered said:

If you wanna ban handbills---go for it---just ban all of em!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back