I have a question for you hunter's out there!

dilloduck said:
Sorry Khafley--- I guess it IS just a guy thing

oh ya--and something that museums of natural history do all over the world, much to the pleasure of millions of visitors a year.
I hear Dillo scratchin all the way over here in Georgia. :D

Mr. P said:
Well, ya got a point...The meat processing plants don't...
Can we say hamburger, sausage, pet food...etc.? :eek2:

damn straight--waste not want not

and Taxidermy is quite the art form whether you approve of it or not.

dilloduck said:
damn straight--waste not want not

and Taxidermy is quite the art form whether you approve of it or not.
Oh it's not Taxidermy I have a problem with..really I don't have a problem with any of it..I just see it for what it is. A male macho, look at what I killed thing.:D

Mr. P said:
Oh it's not Taxidermy I have a problem with..really I don't have a problem with any of it..I just see it for what it is. A male macho, look at what I killed thing.:D

Male pride IS becoming so un-PC.

dilloduck said:
LOL getting the feeling that P stands for PETA :teeth:
Oh, come on..just cuz I think it's silly to mount an animal and hang it on the wall...Pleeeezzzzzzeeee..
This isn't about the animal. It's about MEN. Real Men! You know the ones. The ones that feel good
with their kill hanging around them..Like I said, I think it's just an ego thing. A reminder of
how great I was that day, how I triumphed over nature. It's simple really. Yeah, it's ego alright.

Mr. P said:
Oh, come on..just cuz I think it's silly to mount an animal and hang it on the wall...Pleeeezzzzzzeeee..
This isn't about the animal. It's about MEN. Real Men! You know the ones. The ones that feel good
with their kill hanging around them..Like I said, I think it's just an ego thing. A reminder of
how great I was that day, how I triumphed over nature. It's simple really. Yeah, it's ego alright.

It's male pride----damn has that been taken away too? Maybe this is what Joz is talking about :D

dilloduck said:
It's male pride----damn has that been taken away too? Maybe this is what Joz is talking about :D
Male pride? I can kill something and mount it, is male pride? Boy, I don't get it. But I think to many, that's exactly what it is..."I'm a man, cuz see..I killed it..look".
Is that Male pride? I hope not.

Mr. P said:
Male pride? I can kill something and mount it, is male pride? Boy, I don't get it. But I think to many, that's exactly what it is..."I'm a man, cuz see..I killed it..look".
Is that Male pride? I hope not.

I guess you have no idea the skill that some people use to accomplish this.

You can fry up some venison and brag a bit about it too I bet !

dilloduck said:
I guess you have no idea the skill that some people use to accomplish this.

You can fry up some venison and brag a bit about it too I bet !
Skill? Oh, you think I don't know? You missed my post when I said I am a participant I guess.
I understand very well what's involved..that has nothing to do with display of the kill,
that's all EGO. ;)

Mr. P said:
Skill? Oh, you think I don't know? You missed my post when I said I am a participant I guess.
I understand very well what's involved..that has nothing to do with display of the kill,
that's all EGO. ;)

Of course it is---my problem is that you denegrate male ego. It appears to be the trend for awhile that I'm a bit uncomfortable with .When a man busts his ass and buys a new vehicle that he is proud of certain crowds denounced this action as "the guy obviously has to feed his ego" .Seems like self esteem is pretty much reserved for those who are not adult white males.
If you are referring to a spiritual concept with the goal minimizing ones sense of self as an act of purifying or obedience, that's a different matter in my book where no one is really guiltless enough to throw stones.

I asked my brother this question. He hunts.. He's got heads & skins galore (yech!).

He says that the actual "proof" of victory is more believable than pictures, which apparently, you can buy almost anywhere. The heads/skins are more "imposing" than a few pics laying around in a box.

Sounds most definitely ego to me.. After all, you're shooting an innocent animal with a huge gun.. It's not like the animal ever had a fighting chance at that point anyway.

Why not make it fair to the animal? Chase him down, and take him out with a knife... At least then, if you manage to come out the victor, you have something to be proud *of*...

Shattered said:
I asked my brother this question. He hunts.. He's got heads & skins galore (yech!).

He says that the actual "proof" of victory is more believable than pictures, which apparently, you can buy almost anywhere. The heads/skins are more "imposing" than a few pics laying around in a box.

Sounds most definitely ego to me.. After all, you're shooting an innocent animal with a huge gun.. It's not like the animal ever had a fighting chance at that point anyway.

Why not make it fair to the animal? Chase him down, and take him out with a knife... At least then, if you manage to come out the victor, you have something to be proud *of*...

and this would make people say " wow--that's impressive" ? I doubt it---it would still be tossed aside as a man selfishly feeding his ego

dilloduck said:
and this would make people say " wow--that's impressive" ? I doubt it---it would still be tossed aside as a man selfishly feeding his ego

*shrug* I know if someone told me they took out a 10 point buck with a bowie knife, I'd be less apt to roll my eyes, and say "yeah - like the poor thing ever had a chance anyway.", since, at that point, it does.

There are a LOT of things *everyone* (men and women alike) do stictly for ego. I think hunting with a giant gun happens to be one of them.

I think pride is based on more personal accomplishments...but that's just me.

Shattered said:
*shrug* I know if someone told me they took out a 10 point buck with a bowie knife, I'd be less apt to roll my eyes, and say "yeah - like the poor thing ever had a chance anyway.", since, at that point, it does.

There are a LOT of things *everyone* (men and women alike) do stictly for ego. I think hunting with a giant gun happens to be one of them.

I think pride is based on more personal accomplishments...but that's just me.

If someone tells you he killed a 10 point buck with a bowie knife you better ask him what barbwire fence it was stuck in. Explain the difference between "personal accomplishments" and hunting.

dilloduck said:
If someone tells you he killed a 10 point buck with a bowie knife you better ask him what barbwire fence it was stuck in. Explain the difference between "personal accomplishments" and hunting.

Let's see... I'll use me as an example.. For as far back as I can remember, every single person in my family is an alcoholic, non-working, useless drain on society. It would have been easy as hell for me to follow that path, because it's what I grew up knowing.. Free money, booze, drugs, free (mostly) housing, no responsibilities...

Instead, I decided I didn't want that, so I walked away from it... completely. Haven't seen/talked to them in over 20 years.

They're living welfare/general assistance check to welfare/general assistance check. I have a very well paying job.

They're living in government assisted housing (or so I assume), I just bought a new house I'm *very* proud of, in a really nice neighborhood.

They're considered poverty level. I pushed *myself* up to "upper middle class".

Basically, I started from nothing, and worked my way up to what I wanted. I did it myself, with nothing handed to me. To me, that's a personal accomplishment. It's not one I brag about, and it's not one I talk about (this being an exception because you asked). But, it's something I feel *inside*, when I look around me, and just reflect on what I see.

Hunting? The deer doesn't have a change of surviving a bullet to the head any more than you do. You're hiding in a tree, silently waiting for it to come to you, so you can ping it off from a hidden spot off the ground.

Shattered said:
Let's see... I'll use me as an example.. For as far back as I can remember, every single person in my family is an alcoholic, non-working, useless drain on society. It would have been easy as hell for me to follow that path, because it's what I grew up knowing.. Free money, booze, drugs, free (mostly) housing, no responsibilities...

Instead, I decided I didn't want that, so I walked away from it... completely. Haven't seen/talked to them in over 20 years.

They're living welfare/general assistance check to welfare/general assistance check. I have a very well paying job.

They're living in government assisted housing (or so I assume), I just bought a new house I'm *very* proud of, in a really nice neighborhood.

They're considered poverty level. I pushed *myself* up to "upper middle class".

Basically, I started from nothing, and worked my way up to what I wanted. I did it myself, with nothing handed to me. To me, that's a personal accomplishment. It's not one I brag about, and it's not one I talk about (this being an exception because you asked). But, it's something I feel *inside*, when I look around me, and just reflect on what I see.

Hunting? The deer doesn't have a change of surviving a bullet to the head any more than you do. You're hiding in a tree, silently waiting for it to come to you, so you can ping it off from a hidden spot off the ground.

Congratultions on your achievements. They are truly worthy of praise however, no one said hunting was an equally laudable achievement. I'll ignore your minimization of the DIFFERENT skills ( bow and arrow etc.) used in hunting but how do you know that hunting was this mans ONLY achievement. Khafley was sick of seeing them hanging on the wall. Now it has been turned into a pathetic thing men do to brag about themselves and that they have somehow "taken advantage" of poor pitiful nature to puff up their ego. Don't even get me started on the other things people to puff up their egos. This is an obvious attack on males that apparently is getting quite popular here.

Forum List

Back