I have a new theory about the origin of earth

Water in earth

We can create water by igniting hydrogen gas and oxygen. The reverse process, separating water into hydrogen and oxygen, requires the presence of salt.

This reaction gives off a great deal of heat and in the end a water molecule is formed.

The volume of the largest sphere, representing all water on, in, and above the Earth, would be about 332,500,000 cubic miles (mi3) (1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers (km3)), and be about 860 miles (about 1,385 kilometers) in diameter.
How Much Water is There on Earth? | U.S. Geological Survey

I tried to determine the volume of salt in the oceans but came up empty handed.

I am getting nowhere in this discussion, but I do know that water is a result of the combination of hydrogen and oxygen, and this process gives off a great deal of heat.

Earth has 1,386,000,000 cubic miles of water. The heat released in this process created our molten core.

Water in earth

We can create water by igniting hydrogen gas and oxygen. The reverse process, separating water into hydrogen and oxygen, requires the presence of salt.

This reaction gives off a great deal of heat and in the end a water molecule is formed.

The volume of the largest sphere, representing all water on, in, and above the Earth, would be about 332,500,000 cubic miles (mi3) (1,386,000,000 cubic kilometers (km3)), and be about 860 miles (about 1,385 kilometers) in diameter.

I am getting nowhere in this discussion, but I do know that water is a result of the combination of hydrogen and oxygen, and this process gives off a great deal of heat.

Earth has 1,386,000,000 cubic miles of water. The heat released in this process created our molten core.

No .. the water was formed before the Earth ... the molten core is due to gravitational collapse ...

We have something called the Law of Conservation of Energy ... this says that IF combining oxygen and hydrogen releases energy (it does), THEN it requires a little more energy to separate them again ... not salt ... only energy can split up the water molecule ...

=====

You'd get further in this discussion if you'd follow physical laws ... burning hydrogen gives very little heat, it's just fast (= powerful) is all ... real heat comes from 100,000 Mark 77 thermonuclear bombs going off every second for 4.6 billion years ... and that we count as barely above a dwarf star ...

Crazy heat on Sirius ...

The water molecule is created when hydrogen and oxygen combine. In the process a great deal of heat is released.

Earth contains 332,500,000 cubic miles of water. Care to calculate the energy released during this process?

When one mole of hydrogen molecules (two grams) combines with half a mole of oxygen molecules (16 grams) to form one mole of water molecules (18 grams), the energy given off turns out to be 242,000 joules, assuming that the water comes out as a gas rather than as a liquid.
https://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/eee/chapter4.pdf

the energy given off turns out to be 242,000 joules
The joule (symbol: J)
is the unit of energy in the International System of Units It is equal to the amount of work done when a force of 1 newton displaces a mass through a distance of 1 metre in the direction of the force applied. It is also the energy dissipated as heat when an electric current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second.
Joule - Wikipedia
:)-

Last edited:
The water molecule is created when hydrogen and oxygen combine. In the process a great deal of heat is released.

Earth contains 332,500,000 cubic miles of water. Care to calculate the energy released during this process?

When one mole of hydrogen molecules (two grams) combines with half a mole of oxygen molecules (16 grams) to form one mole of water molecules (18 grams), the energy given off turns out to be 242,000 joules, assuming that the water comes out as a gas rather than as a liquid.
https://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/eee/chapter4.pdf

the energy given off turns out to be 242,000 joules
The joule (symbol: J)
is the unit of energy in the International System of Units It is equal to the amount of work done when a force of 1 newton displaces a mass through a distance of 1 metre in the direction of the force applied. It is also the energy dissipated as heat when an electric current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second.
Joule - Wikipedia
:)-

Sure ... not arguing this energy is released when water is formed ... but this energy was released before the solar system began to condense ...

The Earth receives 50,000,000,000,000,000 joules of energy from the Sun each and every second ... so 242,000 joules is a tiny tiny amount ... that's 60 dietary calories, 1/3 a piece of cake per mole of water ...

Hint: use wattage ... makes your case better ...

uh...yeah...no
Things don't just wonder around in space aimlessly.
The two forces, electromagnetic and gravity keep things moving in a uniform way.
And those that are moving "on their own" primarily caused by explosions, will eventually fall into an orbit of a larger mass.
And yes, you will say - exactly!
No. Objects in space overwhelmingly were created by a local event than far-far away.
And by local obviously that is taken into consideration of the vastness of space.

uh...yeah...no
Things don't just wonder around in space aimlessly.
The two forces, electromagnetic and gravity keep things moving in a uniform way.
And those that are moving "on their own" primarily caused by explosions, will eventually fall into an orbit of a larger mass.
And yes, you will say - exactly!
No. Objects in space overwhelmingly were created by a local event than far-far away.
And by local obviously that is taken into consideration of the vastness of space.

My argument is about temperature ... and energy ... hydrogen condensed out of the Big Bang, 13.8 billion years ago ... oxygen is mostly created within stars as part of the nuclear reactions that occur there, and flung out during the eventual supernova explosion ... so yeah, locally if you want ... makes no difference to me ... temperatures cool enough to allow hydrogen and oxygen to chemically combine before gravitation collapse begins ...

Just look out into space, there's water everyplace we look ... 79 or 132 µm is radio I think ... the whole universe is full of water ...

My argument is about temperature ... and energy ... hydrogen condensed out of the Big Bang, 13.8 billion years ago ... oxygen is mostly created within stars as part of the nuclear reactions that occur there, and flung out during the eventual supernova explosion ... so yeah, locally if you want ... makes no difference to me ... temperatures cool enough to allow hydrogen and oxygen to chemically combine before gravitation collapse begins ...

Just look out into space, there's water everyplace we look ... 79 or 132 µm is radio I think ... the whole universe is full of water ...
Which is why Earth has oceans. This water was obviously not present while the planet was molten.
As the planet cooled the gasses formed our atmosphere, and as water rich particles collided with earth our atmosphere prevented the water from leaving.

Water in earth

The reverse process, separating water into hydrogen and oxygen, requires the presence of salt.

Nope.

Which is why Earth has oceans. This water was obviously not present while the planet was molten.
As the planet cooled the gasses formed our atmosphere, and as water rich particles collided with earth our atmosphere prevented the water from leaving.

Why do you think the water wasn't present in proto-Earth? ... you say "obviously" but that makes no sense ... where would the water go? ...

As the planet cooled ... the materials formed layers due to density differences ... what geologists call "differentiation" ... the iron sank into the center, hydrogen floated up to the top ... with all other materials finding their own equilibrium ... and this is true for all the planets ... water will concentrate between the silicon/aluminum solid layer and the carbon dioxide gas layer, either as a solid or liquid ... or as a gas freely mix with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere ... we have good examples of all three conditions here in our own solar system ...

My understanding is that the oldest rocks we have in hand were formed in the presence of liquid water ... and we've found these same rocks on Mars ... it's a rather common material ...

Why do you think the water wasn't present in proto-Earth? ... you say "obviously" but that makes no sense ... where would the water go? ...

As the planet cooled ... the materials formed layers due to density differences ... what geologists call "differentiation" ... the iron sank into the center, hydrogen floated up to the top ... with all other materials finding their own equilibrium ... and this is true for all the planets ... water will concentrate between the silicon/aluminum solid layer and the carbon dioxide gas layer, either as a solid or liquid ... or as a gas freely mix with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere ... we have good examples of all three conditions here in our own solar system ...

My understanding is that the oldest rocks we have in hand were formed in the presence of liquid water ... and we've found these same rocks on Mars ... it's a rather common material ...
I wasn't clear.
I was referring to the amount of water we have now.
Most of the water we have now is extraterrestrial in it's origin

1684702970562.png

ON THE OTHER HAND

1684703220105.png

Last edited:
I wasn't clear.
I was referring to the amount of water we have now.
Most of the water we have now is extraterrestrial in it's origin

Why do you think this is necessary? ... the water amount on Earth is roughly equivalent to what we find in the solar system ... one of the main reasons the Nebula Theory of formation remains so popular ...

Water is the third most common substance in the visible universe ... no reason to believe any great amounts arrives in asteroids or such ...

Why do you think this is necessary? ... the water amount on Earth is roughly equivalent to what we find in the solar system ... one of the main reasons the Nebula Theory of formation remains so popular ...

Water is the third most common substance in the visible universe ... no reason to believe any great amounts arrives in asteroids or such ...
The oceans just taste extraterrestrial.

All I know is what I have read... and plenty believe the greater part of our oceans H20 came from celestial objects falling to earth

All I know is what I have read... and plenty believe the greater part of our oceans H20 came from celestial objects falling to earth

People who never took Astronomy class in college? ... or chemistry ... more people believe God created the oceans on the 3rd Day of Creation ...

I guess we need to know what you've been reading ... there have been scholarly studies done, but none have turned up any clear evidence for any large amount of water coming from outer space ... all the evidence points to most of the water being here from the beginning ...

Again I ask ... where did the water go if not staying with the Earth? ...

People who never took Astronomy class in college? ... or chemistry ... more people believe God created the oceans on the 3rd Day of Creation ...

I guess we need to know what you've been reading ... there have been scholarly studies done, but none have turned up any clear evidence for any large amount of water coming from outer space ... all the evidence points to most of the water being here from the beginning ...

Again I ask ... where did the water go if not staying with the Earth? ...
I am in no way, at any level an expert on geology. Never studied a day past high school for that subject, and that was 40 years ago. I read a lot, on lots of different things. I watch documentaries etc. Stuff interest me.
And pretty much everything I look up states that most of Earths water came from trillions of celestial objects.

I am in no way, at any level an expert on geology. Never studied a day past high school for that subject, and that was 40 years ago. I read a lot, on lots of different things. I watch documentaries etc. Stuff interest me.
And pretty much everything I look up states that most of Earths water came from trillions of celestial objects.

Doesn't answer my question ... where did the water that was here in the beginning go? ... why would there be water on asteroids but not on Earth? ...

Forum List

Back