I Got The Best Of My Basil Harvested Today

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
Today was warm...tomorrow will be warmer...and then it gets cold.

Basil starts losing its flavor at around 50 degrees and dies at 40 degrees.

I have 5 large plants in my garden...and I've harvested the best portions of each plant...but there's still alot to harvest. That will be tomorrows job!

Can't make a killer spaghetti/pizza sauce without sweet basil!!!

Wish me luck :)

Good luck ... ;)

My problem .. tomato's need cooler temperatures to turn red or yellow.. Summer started and it's been nothing but 90's ever since for the most part.

Bam .. 2 weeks ago suddenly we're getting close to freezing temperatures at night and the tomato plants .. not so happy with that..

..... it was great for growing giant pumpkins, watermelon and corn but damn I hope my tomato's survive, there's nothing like fresh tomato's for spagetti sauce..

photos please! :)

I love basil.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pic's of them & after what I did to them today...they ain't looking so goodly.

But they'll help in making my killer spaghetti sauce.

Good luck ... ;)

My problem .. tomato's need cooler temperatures to turn red or yellow.. Summer started and it's been nothing but 90's ever since for the most part.

Bam .. 2 weeks ago suddenly we're getting close to freezing temperatures at night and the tomato plants .. not so happy with that..

..... it was great for growing giant pumpkins, watermelon and corn but damn I hope my tomato's survive, there's nothing like fresh tomato's for spagetti sauce..

Don't water them as often, let them get pretty dry. Yes the plants will start dying off, but it should also force them to start ripening. Don't pull the plants until after a good frost. Then pull off all the tomatoes and put in a dark place and/or a paper sack. Anything that doesn't ripen, make some fried green tomatoes,

I love Basil. I use that and rosemary as well as sage. (all fresh from my garden) in my Italian sauces. I typically sautee them with garlic and butter in the same skillet I cook my Italian sausage/hamburger mixture in. Dump the grease, add some Beef broth, tomato sauce and, don't forget tomato paste. Simmer LOOOOOONG time. I made fresh tomato sauce in the past but lately using store bought Marinara. A little Sherry wine too.

Last edited:
If Thunk threw a clear plastic tent over the plants during sold snaps, the plants could stay in the ground a month longer!

That's true...but they are mature & what I'm harvesting will be enough for about 2 years...so I don't need to do that.

What... :oops: .. is it really that simple.. (okay, I'll do some research.. )

Yup...I've done it a thousand times.

As a tomatter of fact I usually don't wait for tomatoes to get fully ripe on the vine because if you pick them...more will grow.

Yup...I've done it a thousand times.

As a tomatter of fact I usually don't wait for tomatoes to get fully ripe on the vine because if you pick them...more will grow.
What I've heard (since your post) from friends and such is that the tomato must have started to ripen (still green but changing) then it's cool to pick them but if their green green they wont ripen.. So I'm testing the theories. ;)

but if their green green they wont ripen..

Yeah...I've had it work & not work.

A hard freeze was coming so I picked EVERYTHING. Some ripened and some rotted. In that case it helps buy them some time by turning the tomatos over a half a turn (every 3 days) so the same spot isn't always in contact with the counter top.

That's the spot that rots first.

Today was warm...tomorrow will be warmer...and then it gets cold.

Basil starts losing its flavor at around 50 degrees and dies at 40 degrees.

I have 5 large plants in my garden...and I've harvested the best portions of each plant...but there's still alot to harvest. That will be tomorrows job!

Can't make a killer spaghetti/pizza sauce without sweet basil!!!

Wish me luck :)
Bah, Basil schmasil. Good for you, and I grew some this year, but not a fan.

Got a lotta Rosemary, too, and I am nuking the Oregano from orbit tomorrow.

Oregano has got to go! If you're Oregano, hell no, you've got to go!
I tell ya wut: Once I decide to get rid of some stuff like that; It goes away.

If there's ary a thing I'm good at, it's that. I can get rid of unwanted vegetation.

Last edited:
:laughing0301:

And how pray-tell do you intend to accomplish that?

Even a nuke wont kill oregano...not even a Minnesota winter!
My hands and a hoe. ;)
This is already set in stone. About umm..9 yards of it. Gonna go tomorrow.
I did more than that Wednesday. It ain't purty. :dunno:

I wish you luck.

Years ago I had to harvest early & then use round up on the oregano...I hate that stuff but it was the only thing that worked.
Well..I got the hoe & me..and after it's semi-cleared I got glyphosate, some "Roundup Quick", and some 2d-4d Amine mix for it.
This ain't the 1st year I've been battling this stuff trying to take over. It sure is aggressive, I've really already done 2/3 of it, at least 1/2 ton. Okay, maybe 8-900 lbs.
;)

Forum List

Back