Is Zero Considered An Actual Number?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Just wondering since zero means nothing and when we count we don't go 0 1 2 3 4,.. we always start with 1 2 3 4.

Just wondering since zero means nothing and when we count we don't go 0 1 2 3 4,.. we always start with 1 2 3 4.
Yes, numbers are abstract. -1 is a number. You can have five, and you can add -1 to it and you have 4.

The counting numbers that start with 1 and continue 2,3,4,5,6 are called "natural numbers." They are cave man numbers. When cave man found an empty next while looking for eggs, he didnt' think "zero eggs," he just shrugged and moved on.

I actually posted a question here on the board early last year asking for opinions on whether zero is a positive number. I didn't think it was positive or negative but according to "the laws of parity" since it is divisible by 2 and results in an integer, it is an even number:
Is Zero an Even or an Odd Number?

one minus one equals ???? You wouldn't have the answer without zero. Also difficult to write ten, hundred, thousand, million, billion or trillion without zero. The ancient Sumerians "discovered" zero and it is considered one of the most significant discoveries known to man.

The counting numbers that start with 1 and continue 2,3,4,5,6 are called "natural numbers." They are cave man numbers. When cave man found an empty next while looking for eggs, he didnt' think "zero eggs," he just shrugged and moved on.
I'd have to give this the "best answer" award.

To elaborate: there is a difference between natural numbers and whole numbers, and most people give zero thought to the whole set. Don't even get me started on integers: that brings up a negative connotation.

We assign numbers to things and even thoughts and ideas in order to rank them so we can provide a statistical analysis of their different facets especially when real-world terms don't work. Case in point: Medical professionals ask patients in pain to rate their pain from 1 to 10 or 0 to 9. Even though there is no real definition of pain intensity, that initial ranking of pain by the patient gives doctors a sense of increasing or decreasing pain the patient is personally experiencing.

Last edited:
I actually posted a question here on the board early last year asking for opinions on whether zero is a positive number. I didn't think it was positive or negative but according to "the laws of parity" since it is divisible by 2 and results in an integer, it is an even number:
Is Zero an Even or an Odd Number?
Only one problem with your logic, zero divided by 2 is zero, however zero divided by 1 is also zero. Zero divided by 3 is also zero--- Back to square 1.

Forum List

Back