I feel sad for Generation X that they missed out on the best period for music circa 1964-1975

Sep 4, 2021
Like seriously Generation X have no idea what they missed out on. The older generation such as myself and many of you here who are 60+ we had the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Sly and The Family Stone, Queen, Laura Lee, The Doors, Elton John, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Frank Zappa, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, The Kinks, The Stooges and many more.

Is a shame they missed out on that beautiful innovative groundbreaking period for music.

Discuss.

Like seriously Generation X have no idea what they missed out on. The older generation such as myself and many of you here who are 60+ we had the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Sly and The Family Stone, Queen, Laura Lee, The Doors, Elton John, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Frank Zappa, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, The Kinks, The Stooges and many more.

Is a shame they missed out on that beautiful innovative groundbreaking period for music.

Discuss.
if they could have only recorded that music for future generations to hear,, sadly it is all lost to the sands of time,,

T'is okay. Many of us true music lovers listened to records, tapes, CDs, mp3s, and YouTube and got caught up on what we may have missed in the first go-around. The live experiences are the things we cannot relive.

Edit: And another thing we missed was a more free-form local radio experience before station conglomerations.

Last edited:
Music wasn’t just great in the 60s and 70s. It was great in the 80s and 90s as well.

It began to die at the turn of the century and has been dead for at least 10 years.

It’s the millennials and especially gen z that I feel bad for.

I was born in 1990 and never got to experience a great band in its prime perform.

Concerts are a joke nowadays

If I chose a year to be born, it would be 1950.

I agree, but I would stretch that out to 1980, one of the best years ever for rock:
  • AC/DC, Back in Black
  • U2, Boy
  • Police, Zenyatta Mondatta
  • Rush, Permanent Waves
  • Motorhead, Ace of Spades
  • Judas Priest, British Steel
  • Van Halen, Women & Children First
  • Heart, BeBe Le Strange
... and a TON more.

Discuss.
Growing up as the Beatles grew up was a magical, mystical experience. There was a generational wave of change and they surfed that like no other.

Music wasn’t just great in the 60s and 70s. It was great in the 80s and 90s as well.

It began to die at the turn of the century and has been dead for at least 10 years.

It’s the millennials and especially gen z that I feel bad for.

I was born in 1990 and never got to experience a great band in its prime perform.

Concerts are a joke nowadays

If I chose a year to be born, it would be 1950.
Great music in the 80s and 90s? Lol that's news to me and it didn't "die" at the turn of the century, your comment makes no sense too because you're feeling sorry for a generation that you're part of...

I agree, but I would stretch that out to 1980, one of the best years ever for rock:
  • AC/DC, Back in Black
  • U2, Boy
  • Police, Zenyatta Mondatta
  • Rush, Permanent Waves
  • Motorhead, Ace of Spades
  • Judas Priest, British Steel
  • Van Halen, Women & Children First
  • Heart, BeBe Le Strange
... and a TON more.
Probably the last great year for rock music

You can look a pictures of people from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and tell what decade they are from.
But today's clothing and hair all looks the same over the last 20 years.

Great music in the 80s and 90s? Lol that's news to me and it didn't "die" at the turn of the century, your comment makes no sense too because you're feeling sorry for a generation that you're part of...
Wow. Why are there so many childish people on this site

How are you 60+ years old but act like a 10 yr old?

Music wasn’t only great for a 10 yr period.

I’ll agree that music took off at around 1965, but it lasted much longer than 1975. All I’m saying is that music was great up to 2000

Also, if you’re born in 1959, then you probably never attended a Beatles or Jimi Hendrix concert.

Discuss.

Y'know - I actually know a lot of Gen Xers and Millennials who listen to a steady diet of classic rock. But don't dismiss more recent artists. There's still a lot of creative/ great stuff out there.

You can look a pictures of people from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and tell what decade they are from.
But today's clothing and hair all looks the same over the last 20 years.

I don't know... To me things stagnated in the 90s, there really wasn't anything defining at all in that decade to be honest, everything then felt rehash

Wow. Why are there so many childish people on this site

How are you 60+ years old but act like a 10 yr old?

Music wasn’t only great for a 10 yr period.

I’ll agree that music took off at around 1965, but it lasted much longer than 1975. All I’m saying is that music was great up to 2000

Also, if you’re born in 1959, then you probably never attended a Beatles or Jimi Hendrix concert.
No one is acting like a 10 year old, your comment didn't make sense

Forum List

Back