I am starting to think that a parliamentary system may be better

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
One of the problems with our separation of powers between the Legislative and Executive Branches of our government is that the Democrats can always find a way to blame the GOP for their own bad legislation and policies even when they control both Branches. In a parliamentary system, even dimwitted voters know which party is in charge of the government.

However, I am a strong supporter of the two-party system we have in the U.S. Most, if not all, third-party efforts have have resulted in the opposite of what their supporters intended: Lincoln, Wilson, and Clinton were all elected with only 40% of the popular vote. In Canada it's even worse: The the second (Liberal) and third place (Quebecois) parties made a side deal to install Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister instead of the leader of the Conservative Party, which received the most votes in the last election.

What say you?

One of the problems with our separation of powers between the Legislative and Executive Branches of our government is that the Democrats can always find a way to blame the GOP for their own bad legislation and policies even when they control both Branches. In a parliamentary system, even dimwitted voters know which party is in charge of the government.

However, I am a strong supporter of the two-party system we have in the U.S. Most, if not all, third-party efforts have have resulted in the opposite of what their supporters intended: Lincoln, Wilson, and Clinton were all elected with only 40% of the popular vote. In Canada it's even worse: The the second (Liberal) and third place (Quebecois) parties made a side deal to install Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister instead of the leader of the Conservative Party, which received the most votes in the last election.

What say you?

One of the problems with our separation of powers between the Legislative and Executive Branches of our government is that the GOP can always find a way to blame the Democrats for their own bad legislation and policies even when they control both Branches.

FTFY

What say you?
Parliamentary democracy might not be the solution you are looking for.
Most systems have a problem in that they attract politicians.

I would find a parliament better than the system we have without that silly British House of Lords of course. More importantly, each member of the House of Commons has a significantly smaller constituency than the US House members and there a lot more of them. England has 56M people and a 650 member commons which works out to one representative for each 86K people. The US has 330M people and 435 house members which works out to one rep per 759K people. To have the same level of representation, the house of representative would have to have something close to 3840 members.

What say you?
I fear you really don't want a discussion, so I'll just correct one misunderstanding you have for a start.

The Liberal party depends on the NDP for their success as a minority government. The Liberals are the center and the NDP are the left. But the Liberals can quite happily lean to the left and the NDP can lean to the center, and so together they can accomplish a lot. Together they have a formidable majority while the Conservatives are unable to move Canada toward the right by themselves.

At the moment the Canadian parliamentary system probably wouldn't work in America because the more leftist party is already right of center. The D's would need to turn further left and that could facilitate an 'I' party that could then form a leftist coalition. In fact, that is already possible in the US system.

IMO, any meaningful change would have to be in somehow stripping away the powr of the president, that would serve a positive purpose, as opposed to it currently serving a negative purpose.

If you choose to discuss the minority government situation any further, you're going to have to stop the deliberate spamming and flaming. Or find somebody else to explain further!

Forum List

Back