I am applying for a license to carry

At the age of 41 I will be applying. Got my basic firearms safety certificate and will be dropping off my application to the local PD in the next few days. Finally biting the bullet and buying a firearm that I hope I never ever have to use.

Wish me luck! Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you

View attachment 551408

Get as much training as you have money and time to get.........always carry in a holster, never a gun by itself or in a seperate bag...

At the age of 41 I will be applying. Got my basic firearms safety certificate and will be dropping off my application to the local PD in the next few days. Finally biting the bullet and buying a firearm that I hope I never ever have to use.

Wish me luck! Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you

View attachment 551408

If you don't know what you want to carry yet, a lot of gun stores have guns for rent......try those first before you invest in anything......ask your trainers and other shooters at the store....

And exactly how does making more firearms available and available to criminals ease the crime rate?

"Have one and not need it..."
If you own a firearm it is far more likely to be used to kill a family member, friend, neighbor or work associate that it is ever to be used to prevent a crime.

The actual factual numbers say it is better to not have it at all.

Wrong.......on all levels, you dumbass......

The Centers for Disease Control puts the number of defensive gun uses at 1.2 million times a year....

The Department of Justice research puts it at 1.5 million...

And the 2020 Firearms Survey puts the number at 1.67 million times a year.....

The family members getting shot are the family members of alcoholics, drug addicts and criminals.....normal people are not getting shot by their loved ones...

Spend good money on a holster. Don't get one of those cheap Blackhawk nylon or Kydex holsters from Walmart. I have a small bin full of holsters I tried but didn't care for, so find the one that works the best for you. Serpa holsters that have a button release retention system will keep your pistol secure in the holster, but can malfunction if you end up rolling around in the dirt with someone. Most decent holsters with have either active retention like a strap with a snap on it. Or they'll have passive retention, relying on the tightness of the holster to keep the pistol in place.

Avoid wearing a holster that has the pistol pointed toward your groin or inner leg. Otherwise if you accidentally hit your femoral artery, you'll bleed out pretty quick. I prefer an inside waistband leather holster worn at 3 o'clock on my belt, that angles the grip forward a little, and points the muzzle down behind me. Milt Sparks makes a good one, or Bianci, or DeSantis. There are a lot of good holsters out there and you can pay up to a couple hundred dollars. Also remember that an accidental can easily happen when you're inserting a pistol into the holster while you're wearing it. If you take it out of the holster and are putting it back in, always make sure you don't get your shirt tail or jacket caught in the trigger guard.

Spare magazines are a necessity too. I wear two of them in a Kydex carrier on the left hip. And you might as well get used to carrying a small tactical flashlight with you at night, 300 lumens or so. The ones that use the rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries are the best. And always carry a phone. Not sure what pistol you'll be carrying, but always keep it in condition 0: One in the chamber, full magazine, and the safety if any, off. Glocks are good, because they don't have an external safety, and seconds count if you ever need to use it. And get used to wearing hoodies in cool weather, and large-sized Hawaiian shirts in the summer.

Also if you haven't done this yet, memorize those four rules, and live by them every minute of the day.

That's about all I can add, except for this: You pretty much give up your right to be an asshole when you start carrying. There are a lot of stupid people in this world, and they can piss you off sometimes. So you have to let a lot of shit slide and have nothing to prove. Your weapon it's not a tool for first response, it was meant to be used for last resort.

Avoid wearing a holster that has the pistol pointed toward your groin or inner leg. Otherwise if you accidentally hit your femoral artery, you'll bleed out pretty quick.

Yeah....I really don't understand the fascination some people have with Appendix carry....the type of carry where a mistake will result in catastrophic damage to your leg or wedding tackle......

Avoid wearing a holster that has the pistol pointed toward your groin or inner leg. Otherwise if you accidentally hit your femoral artery, you'll bleed out pretty quick.

Yeah....I really don't understand the fascination some people have with Appendix carry....the type of carry where a mistake will result in catastrophic damage to your leg or wedding tackle......

I think they call it "Mexican carry." No idea why.

I think they call it "Mexican carry." No idea why.

Mexican carry, from my understanding, is carrying without a holster...it goes back to the days when gun control first started in Mexico....open carrying in a holster would get you arrested....so they started to carry under their coats without a holster...

WTF is wrong with you.
That post should be enough to deny you a weapon, much less a carry permit.

But, really, give your family my best. When you use your weapon, one or more of them will most likely die.
Don’t mention my family. That is a threat.

The Centers for Disease Control puts the number of defensive gun uses at 1.2 million times a year....

The family members getting shot are the family members of alcoholics, drug addicts and criminals.....normal people are not getting shot by their loved ones...
Dadoalex is just a complete asshole wishing death on my family.

And exactly how does making more firearms available and available to criminals ease the crime rate?

"Have one and not need it..."
If you own a firearm it is far more likely to be used to kill a family member, friend, neighbor or work associate that it is ever to be used to prevent a crime.

The actual factual numbers say it is better to not have it at all.
This thread is discussing concealed carry. I live in Florida so let’s look at concealed carry in Florida.

Currently 2,201,705 Florida residents have valid concealed weapons permits. Source…

However the crime rate in Florida has been dropping for 50 years.

Gun sales increased in Florida in 2020.

Gun Sales Statistics in Florida

Florida has a population of 20,598,139. In the year 2020, there were 1,112,903 firearms sold in Florida. That's one firearm sold for every 18.5 people in the state. Florida ranks in the #29 position in terms of per capita gun sales, and in the #4 position in absolute firearm sales for the most recent year. For every McDonald’s restaurant in Florida there are 2.17 gun dealers.

2020 … 1,112,903 firearms sold

2019 … 681,457

2018 … 671,355

2017 … 712,315

Point to the research.
AND
All those "defensive" uses were at the OPINION of the moron with the gun.

Coming to the door with a gun to threaten someone delivering a package is not a "defensive" use except in the mind of the moron with the gun.
Moron.

No, your gun is the threat.
I'm just a person who wished you well.
Now stop the Keyboard Kommando crap please.
The gun I do not own? How is it a threat? Make me. You mentioned my family. Period. End of story. You’re a dickhead. You were banned once caddo kid. Grow up.

This thread is discussing concealed carry. I live in Florida so let’s look at concealed carry in Florida.

Currently 2,201,705 Florida residents have valid concealed weapons permits. Source…

However the crime rate in Florida has been dropping for 50 years.

Gun sales increased in Florida in 2020.

Gun Sales Statistics in Florida

Florida has a population of 20,598,139. In the year 2020, there were 1,112,903 firearms sold in Florida. That's one firearm sold for every 18.5 people in the state. Florida ranks in the #29 position in terms of per capita gun sales, and in the #4 position in absolute firearm sales for the most recent year. For every McDonald’s restaurant in Florida there are 2.17 gun dealers.

2020 … 1,112,903 firearms sold

2019 … 681,457

2018 … 671,355

2017 … 712,315
So why do you need more guns?

Many first time concealed carry people want to carry a large weapon. Many end up leaving that weapon at home unless they are going to a dangerous area.

Over time I learned to carry a very light snub nosed .38+P caliber revolver in a pocket holster. If I am going somewhere I just grab the revolver and its holster and slip both into my pants pocket on the way out the door. I don’t have to take the time to stick a holster on my belt or inside my pants.

My prime carry weapon is a S&W Model 642. This is not a long range target revolver but a close range self defense weapon. Being light it has a nasty recoil and most would say it isn’t much fun to practice with. Plus it is double action only which makes target shooting more difficult than a revolver you can cock and fire single action.

View attachment 551910

A number of companies make small, light weight semi-auto pistols in .380 or 9mm. Such weapons also often have a stiff recoil but with practice can be mastered. They also can be excellent pants pocket weapons.

One advantage of carrying a handgun in your pants pocket is that if something looks odd you can always put your hand in your pocket on the firearm ready to pull it if necessary.

Other advise is to take a course on the law involving concealed weapons and self defense in your state. Join a gun range and learn how to shoot. Be polite and respectful and you will find the better shooters at your range will be happy to teach you how to shoot better. Far too many men think watching TV and movies for years has taught them how to shoot which of course is false. Women in general are easier to teach than men as they don’t assume they already are good at shooting.
This was an excellent comment. I carry the same strictly self defense 5-shot revolver for exactly the same reasons. Most people are impressed with big semi-autos, or cheap small ones which by nature jam more often and require more maintenance. Notice the “enclosed hammer” on this model means it cannot snag on anything (and can even fire in an emergency from within your clothes or jacket). It is always ready to be used, as it has no safety switch, but requires a long and heavy trigger pull so it cannot go off by accident.

If there are kids in the home, think about this very carefully. When you carry, sooner or later when you get home you will leave it out where it oughtn’t be. It still weighs a bit. I’m in FL and I wear cargo shorts or something with a big strong pocket if I want to carry it with me.

P.S. With the right pants, holster and pullover shirt, it will be almost impossible for it to be noticed, stolen, or to fall out of your pocket.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back