I am applying for a license to carry

If you plan to everyday carry a sidearm for self-defense purchase a high-quality retention holster, practice drawing your weapon from it, and never carry on an empty chamber. The time it takes to work the slide when you most need to defend yourself will get you killed. Good luck.
Top quality advice, right there.

I always carry with a round chambered (as does Mrs. Bootney). I practice drawing at the range.

A clean, smooth draw is much better than a quick, jerky draw.

Not true.
There is no VALID interpretation of the words present in the 2nd that speak to a right to use a firearm in self
defense.

That "right" goes back to the common law and the original castle doctrine. However the NRA and GOP have twisted the meanings of these traditions with gun spreading legislation over the last 20 years in order to protect "law abiding" gun owners from their own stupidity.
You're a dumb fuck.

Where do you dig up this horse shit?

We are NEVER going your direction again. We see way too many abuses around the world that will never happen here because we are fucking armed.

You should get your little commie ass the fuck out of our country forever.

At the age of 41 I will be applying. Got my basic firearms safety certificate and will be dropping off my application to the local PD in the next few days. Finally biting the bullet and buying a firearm that I hope I never ever have to use.

Wish me luck! Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you

View attachment 551408
I have been carrying for quite a long time.

I am also a firearms instructor and range officer.

My advice to you:

1. Learn how to shoot the damn thing! Go to the range and practice, practice, practice. If you don't have a background in firearms take a class. I am not talking about a basic class but a skills enhancement class.

2. Get a pistol with a safety.

3. Try to avoid using the gun. Once you take it out your life could change forever. Make sure that if you do use it then it is a real life threatening situation.

4. Get a good concealed holster. Practice drawing and firing a lot.

5. For actual carry ammo buy some top quality like Hornady Critical Defense. Don't use range ammo for carry.

6. For carry don't buy any caliber less than 9mm.

7. Don't buy a cheap carry pistol. Buy something reliable like a Sig 365. If money is an issue then a M&P Shield is reliable and fairly inexpensive. That is about as cheap as you want to go.

Last edited:
Here’s hoping that you get your license and someday actually get to shoot somebody and realize a dream come true.

Azog

Shooting a pistol in real life is not like you see in the movies.

Pistol marksmanship is very difficult to master.

Most casual gun owners can't hit anything beyond a few feet.

Remember also that if you ever need to use it for self defense your adrenaline level will be sky high and your heart will be beating like a drum. Shooting at a range is the not the same as shooting when confronted with danger. When I do my classes I put the students under stress.

Practice as much as you can and if you can get a class to enhance your skills.

I have a small but adequate collection of firearms that serves my purposes nicely. I have no intention of buying any firearms in the near future.
Why?
What use is more than one?
and since those purposes are only to kill
again
Why more than one?
and
What were the drivers prompting you to buy multiple firearms?
Have those drivers disappeared and if they have, why do you still own multiple firearms?

You see, I doubt your comment's veracity because all it will take to get you to buy more is to hit your trigger, as it were.

At the age of 41 I will be applying. Got my basic firearms safety certificate and will be dropping off my application to the local PD in the next few days. Finally biting the bullet and buying a firearm that I hope I never ever have to use.

Wish me luck! Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you

View attachment 551408
I had a concealed carry pistol license once upon a time, and a few firearms legally purchased and registered to my name. Then a female sheriff's deputy started following me around, they went to court to revoke my rights on a falsified pretext of mental illness, and now I'm considered an "armed and dangerous" adjudicated mental defective for the rest of my life, with no appeal and no recourse possible ever, and now cops, state employees, and military personnel circulate mock wanted posters of me and shoot at me and snipe at me with their weapons whenever they can for sport or for any other reason or excuse or justification they can come up with.

You're a dumb fuck.

Where do you dig up this horse shit?

We are NEVER going your direction again. We see way too many abuses around the world that will never happen here because we are fucking armed.

You should get your little commie ass the fuck out of our country forever.
2 votes fool.
Jan 2023 when the Democrats hold that 52-48 margin it will come.
The GOP has 8 seats seriously at risk to the Dems 2
The more you clowns hug Trump the easier the Dems jobs get.
Look for 2023 for gun control, voting rights and "green" legislation

Don't know what "direction" you have in your oh so Tiny Mind but since the proposals would not keep a single firearm out of the hands of anyone legally entitled to own, one can guess it's somewhere in the deep dark crevices ...
OF YOUR ASS!

I had a concealed carry pistol license once upon a time, and a few firearms legally purchased and registered to my name. Then a female sheriff's deputy started following me around, they went to court to revoke my rights on a falsified pretext of mental illness
It was hardly falsified

Why?
What use is more than one?
and since those purposes are only to kill
again
Why more than one?
and
What were the drivers prompting you to buy multiple firearms?
Have those drivers disappeared and if they have, why do you still own multiple firearms?

You see, I doubt your comment's veracity because all it will take to get you to buy more is to hit your trigger, as it were.
To say that a firearm’s only use is killing shows how little you know about firearms. That is like saying the only use for a car is to drive you to and from work.

A firearm has multiple uses. Some uses do involve killing. I know a lady who has killed a number of pigmy rattlers on her yard with a shotgun. She is worried that one will bite her dog. I also know a number of hunters who hunt for food to stock their freezers.

I enjoyed target shooting for years and still engage in the sport occasionally (ammo is still hard to find). Target shooting involves punching holes in paper not killing.

My mother was attacked while walking home and my daughter confronted an intruder breaking into our home. Both resolved the problem with a handgun but no one was killed or injured.

If I use a handgun to stop an attacker who intends to seriously injure me or kill me I am not attempting to kill him — my object is to stop the attack. The mere fact that I am armed may resolve the problem. If I do shoot the attacker there is an excellent chance he will survive if he receives care in time.

I bought multiple firearms as part of my target shooting hobby and also for use for legal concealed carry. It is hard to conceal a target revolver or pistol and such weapons are a pain to carry. I acquired my small collection of firearms over a period of half a century. Each firearm is a challenge to master. That is part of the fun of target shooting. A .22 Ruger target pistol is a lot different than a S&W .44 Magnum revolver.

Even if I stopped shooting today I would have no reason to sell my collection of firearms. I also have a small collection of watches and a small collection of knives. I enjoy collecting items.

I might decide to buy another firearm if one comes along that I am interested in. I have that right in this nation and I appreciate that fact. The last firearm I bought was three years ago.

Hunting is still technically killing -- and nothing a human being who eats any sort of meat ought to be ashamed of.
I was not denying that one of the many tasks firearms are used for is killing.

For a while I lived in what at the time was the poorest county in Florida and a lot of people hunted to provide meat for their families. Feral hog were hunted year around as they are considered an invasive species and of course deer were hunted in season.

I personally have absolutely nothing against hunting but never have had any involvement with it.

To say that a firearm’s only use is killing shows how little you know about firearms. That is like saying the only use for a car is to drive you to and from work.

A firearm has multiple uses. Some uses do involve killing. I know a lady who has killed a number of pigmy rattlers on her yard with a shotgun. She is worried that one will bite her dog. I also know a number of hunters who hunt for food to stock their freezers.

I enjoyed target shooting for years and still engage in the sport occasionally (ammo is still hard to find). Target shooting involves punching holes in paper not killing.

My mother was attacked while walking home and my daughter confronted an intruder breaking into our home. Both resolved the problem with a handgun but no one was killed or injured.

If I use a handgun to stop an attacker who intends to seriously injure me or kill me I am not attempting to kill him — my object is to stop the attack. The mere fact that I am armed may resolve the problem. If I do shoot the attacker there is an excellent chance he will survive if he receives care in time.

I bought multiple firearms as part of my target shooting hobby and also for use for legal concealed carry. It is hard to conceal a target revolver or pistol and such weapons are a pain to carry. I acquired my small collection of firearms over a period of half a century. Each firearm is a challenge to master. That is part of the fun of target shooting. A .22 Ruger target pistol is a lot different than a S&W .44 Magnum revolver.

Even if I stopped shooting today I would have no reason to sell my collection of firearms. I also have a small collection of watches and a small collection of knives. I enjoy collecting items.

I might decide to buy another firearm if one comes along that I am interested in. I have that right in this nation and I appreciate that fact. The last firearm I bought was three years ago.
OH CUT THE CRAP

SHOW me ONE SINGLE LEGITIMATE use of a firearm that does not involve killing.
BTW,
the threat to kill is still killing.
target practice is practicing killing

That's why issuing a threat with a firearm in hand is a much more serious crime than doing so empty handed.

Forum List

Back