Hyperloop is dead

Mushroom

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2012
State of Jefferson
Well, it seems like the entire "Hyperloop Hype Train" is finally derailed and dying.

Virgin Hyperloop laid off almost half of its staff working on Friday, making 111 people redundant, as the company shifts focus from transporting people to shipping freight.

“It’s allowing the company to respond in a more agile and nimble way and in a more cost-efficient manner,” Virgin Hyperloop told the Financial Times, blaming the company’s change in direction on COVID “global supply-chain issues.”

But hyperloops—which propose propelling passengers down a vacuum-sealed tube in pods at speeds reaching 670 miles per hour—were struggling to gain traction long before COVID. Virgin Hyperloop has intrigued only one potential client, Saudi Arabia, since its inception in 2014, while rival hyperloop ventures have already given up.

First Elron Musk gave us his "Las Vegas Hyperloop", which is nothing but Tesla cars slowly driving in a tunnel. And even though we were promised actual systems by 2018 2019 2020 2021, most are now finally admitting it seems that it was never possible, and they might as well have put all that money into a big pile and burn it.

2CBv.gif

People still take public transportation?

I'll be darned.

People still take public transportation?

Sure they do, but mostly in big cities.

I often used trains when commuting in LA, and even the subways depending on where I lived and where I wanted to go. And when I worked in downtown San Francisco, the ferry was an awesome way to get to and from work.

But the problem in the US is the NIMBY and interference from Government that will never let it work in most areas. I have seen that in California over and over again.

Forum List

Back