Hunter Biden’s Contempt of Congress Has Wider Consequences

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

14 Dec 2023 ~~ By Jonathan Turley

Congress is often a theater of the absurd, from Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) pulling a fire alarm before a major vote to former Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) being, well, a member of Congress at all. However, none of that compares to what unfolded on Wednesday as Hunter Biden stood outside Congress and defied a subpoena as being "beyond the absurd." What happens next could be even more bizarre.
Hunter was under a subpoena from the House Committee on Oversight and Accountability to appear for testimony. As I previously wrote, he had two choices: He could appear and either testify or invoke his right to remain silent. The only thing that he could not do is what he did — just refuse to go into the hearing room. Yet, there he was, with counsel Abbe Lowell by his side, holding forth with a public press conference while refusing to appear in the closed-door deposition being held in the building behind him.
By staying on the Senate side of the Capitol, Hunter guaranteed that the House sergeant at arms did not pull him into the hearing room. Ironically, that would have been a better option than his blowing a raspberry at the committee and then speeding away.
Many pundits immediately claimed this was a clever move because the subpoena was not really enforceable until the House voted on the formal impeachment inquiry a few hours later.
I disagree. As I noted in my testimony in the first impeachment inquiry, there is no requirement for a formal vote to initiate an impeachment inquiry. Indeed, that is precisely what then-majority Democrats did with the impeachment of then-President Donald Trump. While I encouraged the House to hold a formal vote on the inquiry, it is not constitutionally required.
~Snip~
In this instance, the contempt case would go to the U.S. Attorney in D.C., Matthew Graves, who previously declined to assist in bringing tax charges against the president's son. Yet by pulling a Bannon, Hunter now faces the expectation in many circles that he will get the full Bannon treatment from Garland.
There is another possible cost to this move. Fox News quoted White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre saying that President Biden “was certainly familiar with what his son was going to say,” which suggests that the president spoke with his son before his act of contempt and discussed his statement. If that is true, it was a breathtaking mistake. One of the four most obvious potential articles of impeachment that I laid out in my prior testimony was obstruction. There already are questions over special treatment potentially being given to Hunter in the form of alleged felonies being allowed to expire, warnings about planned federal raids, and sweetheart deals.
In addition, President Biden has enlisted White House staff to actively push challenged accounts of his conduct and attack the House Republicans’ investigative process. Such acts could legally bootstrap prior misconduct into his presidency under abuse-of-power allegations.
~Snip~
Hunter, however, just tripped another wire that could seriously complicate matters not just himself but for his father. Perhaps that is why, when dramatist-scholar Martin Julius Esslin devised the term "theater of the absurd," he described it as "part reality and part nightmare.”

Commentary:
Good analysis by Turley.
Is there a chance Garland is going to prosecute Hunter? Any expert opinions?
Obviously from his actions, Merrick Garland is a bought and paid for DNCCP operative.
Whatever happened to the “bipartisan” and “crossing the aisle” that the Dems are always carrying on about?
I don’t think Hunter is in any legal trouble at all. If we were dealing with an apolitical justice system, yes, he would be. But we clearly are not.
It has become obvious that the DBCCP has created a two tier Justice system.
If Hunter were charged with contempt of Congress, the trial would be held in the District of Columbia. It would take less than 4 hours for a D.C. jury to acquit him.
Then there’s the Big Guy’s pardon. The left and the press (but I repeat myself) will heap praise upon a loving father sparing his politically victimized son (his only living son!) from having a criminal record. After all, Hunter is the smartest man Biden knows, an accomplished artist and a recovering addict.

Where's the evidence, guys?
Hunter is cocky because he's safe in his defiance, due to the need to keep US foreign policy regarding America stating a war against Russia using the Ukraine as a proxy, under wraps.

The damage control side of the story.^

Last edited:
Hunter is cocky because he's safe in his defiance, due to the need to keep US foreign policy regarding America stating a war against Russia using the Ukraine as a proxy, under wraps.

The damage control side of the story.^
He is cocky because there is no evidence of criminality of influence peddling and corruption.

There's plenty of evidence but the R's need to compromise US foreign policy secrets if it's revealed.
The evidence would presumably be presented at the hearing. However, a member of the Biden family ignoring the law is not unusual.
There is no evidence despite all of the yammering and hearings, now, is there?

Congress is often a theater of the absurd, from Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) pulling a fire alarm before a major vote to former Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) being, well, a member of Congress at all. However, none of that compares to what unfolded on Wednesday as Hunter Biden stood outside Congress and defied a subpoena as being "beyond the absurd." What happens next could be even more bizarre.
Hunter was under a subpoena from the House Committee on Oversight and Accountability to appear for testimony. As I previously wrote, he had two choices: He could appear and either testify or invoke his right to remain silent. The only thing that he could not do is what he did — just refuse to go into the hearing room. Yet, there he was, with counsel Abbe Lowell by his side, holding forth with a public press conference while refusing to appear in the closed-door deposition being held in the building behind him.
By staying on the Senate side of the Capitol, Hunter guaranteed that the House sergeant at arms did not pull him into the hearing room. Ironically, that would have been a better option than his blowing a raspberry at the committee and then speeding away.
Many pundits immediately claimed this was a clever move because the subpoena was not really enforceable until the House voted on the formal impeachment inquiry a few hours later.
I disagree. As I noted in my testimony in the first impeachment inquiry, there is no requirement for a formal vote to initiate an impeachment inquiry. Indeed, that is precisely what then-majority Democrats did with the impeachment of then-President Donald Trump. While I encouraged the House to hold a formal vote on the inquiry, it is not constitutionally required.
~Snip~
In this instance, the contempt case would go to the U.S. Attorney in D.C., Matthew Graves, who previously declined to assist in bringing tax charges against the president's son. Yet by pulling a Bannon, Hunter now faces the expectation in many circles that he will get the full Bannon treatment from Garland.
There is another possible cost to this move. Fox News quoted White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre saying that President Biden “was certainly familiar with what his son was going to say,” which suggests that the president spoke with his son before his act of contempt and discussed his statement. If that is true, it was a breathtaking mistake. One of the four most obvious potential articles of impeachment that I laid out in my prior testimony was obstruction. There already are questions over special treatment potentially being given to Hunter in the form of alleged felonies being allowed to expire, warnings about planned federal raids, and sweetheart deals.
In addition, President Biden has enlisted White House staff to actively push challenged accounts of his conduct and attack the House Republicans’ investigative process. Such acts could legally bootstrap prior misconduct into his presidency under abuse-of-power allegations.
~Snip~
Hunter, however, just tripped another wire that could seriously complicate matters not just himself but for his father. Perhaps that is why, when dramatist-scholar Martin Julius Esslin devised the term "theater of the absurd," he described it as "part reality and part nightmare.”

Commentary:
Good analysis by Turley.
Obviously from his actions, Merrick Garland is a bought and paid for DNCCP operative.
Whatever happened to the “bipartisan” and “crossing the aisle” that the Dems are always carrying on about?
I don’t think Hunter is in any legal trouble at all. If we were dealing with an apolitical justice system, yes, he would be. But we clearly are not.
If Hunter were charged with contempt of Congress, the trial would be held in the District of Columbia. It would take less than 4 hours for a D.C. jury to acquit him.
Then there’s the Big Guy’s pardon. The left and the press (but I repeat myself) will heap praise upon a loving father sparing his politically victimized son (his only living son!) from having a criminal record. After all, Hunter is the smartest man Biden knows, an accomplished artist and a recovering addict.
Remember when they, the left, used to complain about Barr being Trump's wingman? The truth is, Garland is an outstanding stooge for this Administration.

At the risk of sounding like a Hunter defender, which I’d hate to be, I will still say this about contempt of Congress:

He could have and should have simply replied to the subpoena: “upon advice of counsel, I hereby decline to comply with the subpoena on the basis of my fifth amendment rights.” Then the Congress couldn’t legally try to cite him for “contempt.”

If that isn’t the legal advice he got from his lawyers, then im wondering why not? The font is the advice he got from his lawyers, then why the he’ll wouldn’t he have listened?

Sure, you go with that.

Or are you too young to remember what occurred just five years ago?

It's okay; being stupid is nothing to be ashamed of.,
You are certainly not ashamed of yourself, that is for sure. Barr was Trump's wing man until Trump burned him as he does all who work for him.

Garland has done his job fairly well, going after Trump and his allies, Menendez, Hunter, hundreds of JBrs, etc.

~Snip~
~Snip~

Commentary:
Good analysis by Turley.
Turly is a republican shill. Where was his outrage when the republicans were ignoring subpoenas?

~Snip~
~Snip~

Commentary:
Good analysis by Turley.
Lots of discussion of the subject, but I would like to hear what Kevin Mccarthy, Scott Perry, Jim Jordan, and Andy Biggs have to add. All four ignored congressional subpoenas. Biden was willing to testify in public. Those four repub/MAGAs refused any kind of testimony.

Forum List

Back