Humans may be alone in the Universe.

I'm in the yes there is other intelligent life out there group.
I'm sure there are other civilizations out there and I think they might already be here on Earth. Since the only value we might have is their entertainment, they follow the Star Trek Prime Directive and remain hidden from us. They are beyond UFOs and kidnapping country folk for study, they know more about us than we do. Just spit ballin'.

I'm sure there are other civilizations out there and I think they might already be here on Earth. Since the only value we might have is their entertainment, they follow the Star Trek Prime Directive and remain hidden from us. They are beyond UFOs and kidnapping country folk for study, they know more about us than we do. Just spit ballin'.

Dont know if they're already aware of us but the odds are they're out there.

people underestimate the vastness of space between individual stars. Even if there is life somewhere in the galaxy or beyond, it’s likely so far away it might as well not exist. It’s distance beyond comprehension.

If there *was* intelligent life within any sort of comprehensible distance, we probably would’ve had contact by now.
If the sun was the size of a golf ball the nearest star would be 960 miles away.

Just think of that scale. And that is just to the nearest star 4.5 light years away.

Dont know if they're already aware of us but the odds are they're out there.
The thing is that "odds" (i.e Statistics) doesn't turn Chemistry into Biology.

What turns Chemistry into Biology is something that we haven't figured out yet. Despite decades of high level research we can't create life in a lab.

That just shows us that the process that did it on earth was extremely complex and may very well have never happen before or will ever happen again.

If the universe is finite then there will be unique things in it. For all we know life is unique to earth.

We think that because it happen here then it it must have happen before but in reality we don't have a clue.

What turns Chemistry into Biology is something that we haven't figured out yet. Despite decades of high level research we can't create life in a lab.

That just shows us that the process that did it on earth was extremely complex and may very well have never happen before or will ever happen again.

If the universe is finite then there will be unique things in it. For all we know life is unique to earth.

We think that because it happen here then it it must have happen before but in reality we don't have a clue.
I'm going with life is actually common in the universe. It would not surprise me greatly to find life on another planet or moon in our solar system. Intelligent life is another matter entirely. I think it took less than 1/2 a billion years for life to become established here but another 4 billion to reach our pitiful level of intelligence. We'll see how long we last and if intelligence outlives us.

Yet it happened here on earth.
Space is vast beyond our comprehension so the way I look at it it's had to happen somewhere else.

Yet it happened here on earth.
Space is vast beyond our comprehension so the way I look at it it's had to happen somewhere else.
But "the way you look at it" it not based upon any known fact.

I suspect it is more based upon you being exposed to Science Fiction. We all have been so that is why we want to believe.

The fact is that we know of no life beyond earth.

The other fact is that no matter how hard we try we cannot turn Chemistry into Biology.

But "the way you look at it" it not based upon any known fact.

I suspect it is more based upon you being exposed to Science Fiction. We all have been so that is why we want to believe.

The fact is that we know of no life beyond earth.

The other fact is that no matter how hard we try we cannot turn Chemistry into Biology.

Not at all.
And how do we know there's no other life.
You most certainly aren't going by known facts.
The fact of the matter is we just dont know one way or another.
I'm just using the law of averages,if earth spawned life it stands to reason other planets have as well.
Of course we have no idea how far away they might be.

Not at all.
And how do we know there's no other life.
You most certainly aren't going by known facts.
The fact of the matter is we just dont know one way or another.
I'm just using the law of averages,if earth spawned life it stands to reason other planets have as well.
Of course we have no idea how far away they might be.

The "law of averages" is not what turned Chemistry into Biology.

It was a combination of events and circumstances that may or may not have happen elsewhere in the universe.

We are biased. We have hit the celestial jackpot that created life on earth. We think that if life exist here then it must of happen elsewhere but we don't have a clue if that is true or not.

The "law of averages" is not what turned Chemistry into Biology.

It was a combination of events and circumstances that may or may not have happen elsewhere in the universe.

We are biased. We have hit the celestial jackpot that created life on earth. We think that if life exist here then it must of happen elsewhere but we don't have a clue if that is true or not.

How do you know it's never happened elsewhere?
Scientist have discovered many planets in the Goldilocks zones.
Whether they have life on them is an unanswered question.

people underestimate the vastness of space between individual stars. Even if there is life somewhere in the galaxy or beyond, it’s likely so far away it might as well not exist. It’s distance beyond comprehension.

If there *was* intelligent life within any sort of comprehensible distance, we probably would’ve had contact by now.

I think your 2 statements are somewhat contradictory. The distance between stars and galaxies is indeed far beyond comprehension, so it is quite a leap to say that if intelligent life does exist elsewhere that we would've had contact by now. Other intelligent beings may well exist or have existed but could not bridge the enormous distances involved. Our ability to recognize any transmissions from elsewhere has only existed here for just a few decades, and our capabilities very well might be inadequate to recognize it for what it is; if such transmissions are out there, it may take several hundred, thousands, or even millions of years for it to reach Earth. And of course, we might all be dead from climate change long before that. :eek:

The way we on Earth define life may be vastly different from the rest of the Universe. Beyond that, no one really knows much about the Universe, we only have a 'view' from a small vantage point. We already know there are more than the three dimensions in which we live. We may not even be able to discern things that exist alongside of us and vice versa so, I'm not ready to say there is no life anywhere in the Universe.

How do you know it's never happened elsewhere?
Scientist have discovered many planets in the Goldilocks zones.
Whether they have life on them is an unanswered question.
Being in the Goldilocks zone only means liquid water can exist.

If water and the right temperature were the only elements for life then creating life would be a lab class in every Jr High School science class.

Here is an analysis of all these planets that we have discovered so far. Only three possibilities and they are all marginal at best.

Being in the Goldilocks zone only means liquid water can exist.

If water and the right temperature were the only elements for life then creating life would be a lab class in every Jr High School science class.

Here is an analysis of all these planets that we have discovered so far. Only three possibilities and they are all marginal at best.

But we dont know about planets that are way out of our ability to monitor or send probes to.

But we dont know about planets that are way out of our ability to monitor or send probes to.
Watch the video. It discusses what we do know and none of the planets that we have discovered is anything close to earth.

There might be things we don't know of but that applies to everything.

I am reminded of a thought experiment regarding dimensions. Suppose there were a 1 dimension universe. Any being in that universe would only be able to discern things on one plane. No height and no depth. You, as a 3rd dimension being would be able to look down on that 1 dimension and see beings moving about in their one dimension. You stick your finger in their dimension and they would think it came from outer space or was a 'ghost' or some kind of apparition.

Watch the video. It discusses what we do know and none of the planets that we have discovered is anything close to earth.

There might be things we don't know of but that applies to everything.

"There might be things we don't know of but that applies to everything."

Which is my point.
We just dont know.

Forum List

Back