Hulu: Booksmart

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Booksmart is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time, and I never heard of it until two days ago.

The convoluted route which led me to this movie begins with my youngest daughter's infatuation with the boy band One Direction several years ago when she was a tween. As she and they both aged out, her affections turned toward a crush on band member Harry Styles. Styles now has a solo career, and he has turned to acting.

The producers of the World War I epic 1917 cleverly cast Harry Styles in the film with the result that dads like me all over the country found themselves watching a war movie with their daughters!

Harry Styles is now in the movie Don't Worry Darling which was released yesterday. So of course my daughter and I had made plans to see it.

However, the reviews of Darling have been brutal. Really brutal. But one of the reviews mentioned the director had once made a really good movie called Booksmart. I looked it up and found it on Hulu.

And so here we are.

My daughter and I sat down to watch Booksmart and were soon laughing our asses off. I later had my wife sit and watch it with me. It is a very rare occasion I will watch a movie twice in a row. That's how good this movie is.

The movie takes place over two days. The day before graduation and graduation day of a high school. It follows two brainiac nerd girls who are the class president (Molly) and the valedictorian (Amy) and have been best friends all their lives. They are socially isolated kids, believing the cool kids are losers going nowhere with their lives.

The casting of these two girls is perfect, perfect, perfect. In fact, the casting of all the supporting actors is perfect. I did not recognize most of the actors, but my daughter did.

The directing is also outstanding.

But what really makes this movie the great movie it is is the writing. The writing is true to life. My wife and daughter constantly commented all through the movie how true to life it is.

For instance, when you have two close friends and one is about to move away, what happens? They have a huge fight.

For an example of the great directing, pay attention to the background when our two BFFs have that fight as the camera pans back and forth. Also, the camera movement during the bathroom scene. The camera movement captures what is happening internally with Amy.

If for nothing else, watch this movie for the panda scene. Man, I'm laughing right now even as I think about it.

"Did he tell you he was endangered?"

Kaityln Dever (Amy), who I have never heard of before, is one of the best actresses I have ever seen.

My favorite supporting character is Gigi the one percenter.

Harry Styles is not in this movie.

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT

If you don't catch who the person in the Wanted poster is:
The wanted poster is the pizza delivery guy. The one who criticized their carelessness and went into way too much detail telling the girls what he could do to them if he was a bad person. :lol:

I made an error in the OP.

Harry Styles was not in 1917. He was in Dunkirk.

Kaitlyn Dever has definite potential. She was very good in Short Term 12.
I don't currently subscribe to Hulu, but I assume it is available for stream rent elsewhere.
It would be good to see a solid funny film, comedies over the past 20 years have mostly been absolutely terrible.

Booksmart is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time, and I never heard of it until two days ago.

The convoluted route which led me to this movie begins with my youngest daughter's infatuation with the boy band One Direction several years ago when she was a tween. As she and they both aged out, her affections turned toward a crush on band member Harry Styles. Styles now has a solo career, and he has turned to acting.

The producers of the World War I epic 1917 cleverly cast Harry Styles in the film with the result that dads like me all over the country found themselves watching a war movie with their daughters!

Harry Styles is now in the movie Don't Worry Darling which was released yesterday. So of course my daughter and I had made plans to see it.

However, the reviews of Darling have been brutal. Really brutal. But one of the reviews mentioned the director had once made a really good movie called Booksmart. I looked it up and found it on Hulu.

And so here we are.

My daughter and I sat down to watch Booksmart and were soon laughing our asses off. I later had my wife sit and watch it with me. It is a very rare occasion I will watch a movie twice in a row. That's how good this movie is.

The movie takes place over two days. The day before graduation and graduation day of a high school. It follows two brainiac nerd girls who are the class president (Molly) and the valedictorian (Amy) and have been best friends all their lives. They are socially isolated kids, believing the cool kids are losers going nowhere with their lives.

The casting of these two girls is perfect, perfect, perfect. In fact, the casting of all the supporting actors is perfect. I did not recognize most of the actors, but my daughter did.

The directing is also outstanding.

But what really makes this movie the great movie it is is the writing. The writing is true to life. My wife and daughter constantly commented all through the movie how true to life it is.

For instance, when you have two close friends and one is about to move away, what happens? They have a huge fight.

For an example of the great directing, pay attention to the background when our two BFFs have that fight as the camera pans back and forth. Also, the camera movement during the bathroom scene. The camera movement captures what is happening internally with Amy.

If for nothing else, watch this movie for the panda scene. Man, I'm laughing right now even as I think about it.

"Did he tell you he was endangered?"

Kaityln Dever (Amy), who I have never heard of before, is one of the best actresses I have ever seen.

My favorite supporting character is Gigi the one percenter.

Harry Styles is not in this movie.
Kate is awesome at "acting"
Caitlyn-Jenner-2018.jpg

Forum List

Back