Huge population of endangered lions found in Ethiopia

Poachers just took out a really good ranger. We've got to back our guys in the skies. Sort of stretched financially getting all my new bow equipment (loonie has tanked and not sure what I can bring up from south of the border as far as bow hunting equipment goes) we can't back down though. I'll eat KD man for a long time to help out these sons of guns that take to the air and try to take out poachers.

Coincidentally, Amharic is a pretty tricky language to tackle.

There are stories of lions as far north as Egypt and Libya.

There used to be lions in Europe during the Roman era. I think the Romans killed off that remaining lions because they captured them to be used in coliseum events.

There are stories of lions as far north as Egypt and Libya.

There used to be lions in Europe during the Roman era. I think the Romans killed off that remaining lions because they captured them to be used in coliseum events.
Different type of lion. You are talking about the Asian Lion like they have in India.

History of lions in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lions inhabited parts of Europe during and after the Holocene and even historic times and formed a subspecies called Panthera leo europaea. They lived in ancient Greece, central Germany, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Iran, southern Russia, coastal Saudi Arabia, western Asia, and India. It is also suggested by historical evidence, although not certain, that they lived in parts of Europe, including modern-day Portugal, Spain, southern France, up to Germany, Italy, and the Balkans beyond Greece. Their diet included cattle, deer and other herbivores. European lions could possibly have been the last remnants of the cave lion (Panthera leo spelaea). However, this is considered unlikely because historic depictions of European lions show animals with prominent manes, whereas cave lions are always depicted maneless in prehistoric cave art. It is therefore assumed that modern maned lions spread during the Holocene from Africa to Eurasia. It is not clear if the modern lion replaced the cave lion or occupied Europe after the cave lions already had vanished.[1]

European lions are considered to be similar to the Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica). However, there were also some differences; lions from southeastern Europe and Asia minor usually lacked abdominal and lateral manes.[2] In contrast Asiatic lion males show abdominal manes when living in realtively cool climate. This can be seen in Indian lions at European zoos or ancient depictions of lions from Persia.

The European lion was similar in size to the African lion, standing about 4 feet (1.2 m) at the shoulder. Males ranged in weight between 180 kilograms (400 lb) and 200 kilograms (440 lb),[3] while females were smaller.​

If there is a hugh population they aren't "endangered".

Last edited:
This is great news! Now I hope people leave them the fuck alone!

Strange, the only reason there is a new 'population' to find is because they have obviously been hard to find. But not anymore.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back