How you spend your money makes a huge difference. Time for action.

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
This is for Dems, Repubs and Independents. I challenge all of you to put your money where your mouth is and to talk your family and friends into doing the same.

Do you buy American-made products whenever possible? You should because it matters. How we spend our money can make a huge difference in our economy and unemployment numbers.

It's so easy to make a few changes. And it's a great idea to share with everyone you know because the more people who support American companies, the better off all of us will be.

There are so many websites that list American-made products. Since none can be comprehensive, check them all out.

Here's what you do. Start by listing all the products you buy, no matter how often you buy them. List everything from ketchup to toilet paper. Go to your WordPad and start listing. You can add as you go.

Then, go to websites to figure out which products are made in our country. You'll often find more than one brand made here. Add the brand names beside the items on your list. When making out your grocery list each week, make sure you write the brand names on the shopping list so you grab the right item off the store shelves.

Might be a little harder to look up store brands, which are often cheaper, but just make sure you have your reading glasses when you head to store so you can check the label.

When it comes to fresh produce, you do have to read labels. My neighbor complained that the tomatoes in a local store came from Guam. If you live in an area that has farmer's markets, go to them instead. Of course, if you are lucky enough to have a yard, start a garden. I have organic vegetables in my garden and I didn't even pay for seeds. When I bought the items in the store, I just saved the seeds from the tomatoes, squash and other things. If you live in an apartment, you can still grow tomatoes and other veggies in large pots. And when harvest season rolls around, you can learn to can your own produce. It's better than factory canned goods because you know you did it right and that the produce was fresh. Takes a little work, but it's worth it in the long run.

Couldn't be any easier, right? Of course, when it comes time to make a large purchase, always do your homework.

Once you get a good list started, you can narrow it down further by researching which companies may hire illegal aliens or even support a political party.

No excuses. Might mean giving up Oreos, but they aren't the only game in town.

Last edited:
I drive a jeep . I often shop at small business because I know them money helps the local economy even if prices are slightly higher .

I've "adopted " my own homeless man downtown. When I see him I give him a buck or two .

I drive a jeep . I often shop at small business because I know them money helps the local economy even if prices are slightly higher .

I've "adopted " my own homeless man downtown. When I see him I give him a buck or two .

Great. I think this is one issue where both sides can agree. I have a Jeep and a Dodge Ram (20 years old). I shop locally because even though some prices may be a tad higher, I probably save that much in gas. Not to mention saving time.

My wife's Prius was made in Kentucky, my old Ford F-100 was made in Canada, my newer Dodge truck was made in Mexico, much of our clothes were made in India, China and South America. Most but not all of our food items were produced in the US and most but not all of our furniture was made in the US, my house was built with Mexican labor and many of our household items were made overseas. Kinda hard to completely shop made in America these days.

Might take a bit more research on meats. You can ask the people at the deli where the meat comes from. When buying packaged chicken, make sure it's not sent to China for processing.

Seems like a bit of a pain to go through all this but once you complete the list, it makes life easier and you know you're supporting American companies. And maybe update the list since some companies move their factories to other countries.

Of course, it's even harder when buying clothes and other items, but just making the effort to ensure most of what you buy is American made can make a difference. If enough people paid attention and chose American-made over other items, we'd prove that it's the average people who can make or break any company.

I wish it would become a popular trend because companies would make changes to keep customers.

My wife's Prius was made in Kentucky, my old Ford F-100 was made in Canada, my newer Dodge truck was made in Mexico, much of our clothes were made in India, China and South America. Most but not all of our food items were produced in the US and most but not all of our furniture was made in the US, my house was built with Mexican labor and many of our household items were made overseas. Kinda hard to completely shop made in America these days.

It is impossible to buy everything made in America but if more people would make the effort, it would make a huge difference.

I focused on the food first since we have to eat every day.

I admit I buy a lot of clothes at thrift shops and there are too many brands to be familiar with all of them. I often see 'made in India' on a lot of clothes.

I still do my best to choose American over others whenever possible.

Last edited:
Also try to avoid Monsanto produce. I think both sides have issues with that company.

I don't own a car, but I do have a bicycle that was made here in the USA. It's a Lemond Zurich that is made by the USA bicycle company called Trek.

Yeah, if I can, I buy American.

And it never hurts to throw a couple of bucks at the homeless people you see on the street. Never can have too much good Karma in your spiritual bank.

Forum List

Back