How Would You Sell the American people on a major war?

Say you were the president of the U.S. (or running for the office) and you wanted the American people to support a major war. How would you sell it to Americans? Note when I say "major war" I mean just that with at minimum hundreds of thousands of American deaths and costing trillions.

Note the following:

1) There is not any overt attack on the U.S. that can justify the war.
2) You cannot lie outright to justify the war.
A minimum of hundreds of thousands? So you are talking a WWII kind of war, not a Vietnam or Korean War kind of war?

Aw let's see. Just lie to the people, have your enemy blow something up, run to the media screaming murrica and voila....you have another adventure where you can wrap the flag around yourself and feel special. Never mind the deception.

I'd sell it by telling the American people that when our forces conquer the land they're sent to, we won't be giving it back. There's no reason we don't have Iraq serving as a penal colony right now. We should have claimed it and prevented the resulting genocide suffered by Christians.

Yep, conduct wars like back in the day when we took a good chunk of the west from Mexico. Then 15 or so years later Lincoln gave those confederates a similar taste. USA! USA! USA!

Next consider the case from later that century. Compare how much better the situation is in Puerto Rico as opposed to the history of Cuba since its independence. Cuba had problems with democracy long before Castro.

The easiest such war to sell right now, I'd say, would be on those countries which are most problematic concerning our illegal immigration.

Aug 18 (Reuters) - The number of Ukrainian and Russian troops killed or wounded since the war in Ukraine began in February 2022 is nearing 500,000, the New York Times reported on Friday, citing unnamed U.S. officials.

It’s something like 10-1 ratio of Ukrainians to Russians, and you support this horrendous slaughter.

He did what he had to do to get the American people behind the war effort. We were already in a defacto war against the German U-boats.

The Rebs used the Ft. Sumter incursion as propaganda as well. Both sides knew the score that their citizens were not for the war and needed to be goaded into supporting it.
You forgot to add had FDR been a republican, you’d condemn him as a warmonger. You’re so wonderfully objective.

Aw let's see. Just lie to the people, have your enemy blow something up, run to the media screaming murrica and voila....you have another adventure where you can wrap the flag around yourself and feel special. Never mind the deception.

You missed the part in the OP about lying NOT being an option?

Say you were the president of the U.S. (or running for the office) and you wanted the American people to support a major war. How would you sell it to Americans? Note when I say "major war" I mean just that with at minimum hundreds of thousands of American deaths and costing trillions.

Note the following:

Here's what the DemoKKKrats did for their latest war:

1. Target a country that has been an ally for decades (remember how cozy the Dems were with USSR/Russia between the 1920s and the 2010s?)
2. Invite the aggressor to invade a smaller nation (it helps if both are corrupt as hell, like Russia and Ukraine).
3. Use the new war to justify funneling hundreds of billions of tax dollars into a black hole with zero accountability.
4. Enjoy your freshly laundered money.

To clarify somewhat.

How do you think Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea would react if an American president took office promoting this idea?

It’s something like 10-1 ratio of Ukrainians to Russians, and you support this horrendous slaughter.
Says you and your link...\um well you anyway.

Waters said, “Thank you for hearing us today, we are many who do not share in the profits of the war industry. We do not willingly raise our sons and daughters to provide fodder for your canons. In our opinion, the only sensible course of action today is to call for an immediate ceasefire in Ukraine. No ifs, no buts, no ands. Not one more Ukrainian or Russian life is to be spent — they are all precious in our eyes.”

Note the following:

First of all - I think a MAJOR WAR would have to sell itself to the American People before they formed an opinion one way or the other. We've been down this path several times with politicians baiting us into war.

Says you and your link...\um well you anyway.

Waters said, “Thank you for hearing us today, we are many who do not share in the profits of the war industry. We do not willingly raise our sons and daughters to provide fodder for your canons. In our opinion, the only sensible course of action today is to call for an immediate ceasefire in Ukraine. No ifs, no buts, no ands. Not one more Ukrainian or Russian life is to be spent — they are all precious in our eyes.”

I agree with Waters. He’s a real leftist.

First of all - I think a MAJOR WAR would have to sell itself to the American People before they formed an opinion one way or the other. We've been down this path several times with politicians baiting us into war.
Yet we collectively never learn.

Forum List

Back