How Will States that Ban Abortions Deal With Abortion Pills Sold Online?

I can imagine abortion drugs being smuggled from state to state, just like firearms. Which is why states with tough gun laws, and now tough abortion laws, aren't able to stop the flood of cheap contraband.
That could certainly happen but it would be a lot easier just to go online and order them. The companies will ship to a forwarding location that re-mails to the purchasers address. However, there is no law that makes it illegal to possess the drug, only using it.

That could certainly happen but it would be a lot easier just to go online and order them. The companies will ship to a forwarding location that re-mails to the purchasers address. However, there is no law that makes it illegal to possess the drug, only using it.
That's what I fear the states will do. Make possession illegal for it's residents. Or make anybody who aids and abets someones possession, like a pharmacist, doctor, or even the mailman, liable for prosecution.

That's what I fear the states will do. Make possession illegal for it's residents. Or make anybody who aids and abets someones possession, like a pharmacist, doctor, or even the mailman, liable for prosecution.
I don't think the state can make possession of an FDA approved drug illegal. Texas did something in the law to make it illegal for anyone to help a person get an abortion. I expect doctors that are arrested for performing abortions in these will states will be able to apply for licensing in other states.

Abortion Pills are now being sold on the Internet by at least 6 different companies. Prices range from $110 to $450. A site called plancpills.org has information on the pills and where to get them. These companies also offer mail forwarding so states with abortion bans will not be able to trace the address of a package back to the company. Also shipping the pills through the US mail is legal.

In Mexico abortion is not illegal. They leave that up to the various states, however women are protected against prosecution for having an abortion. In most Mexican states the abortion pills are available at pharmacies, some require a prescriptions which is readily available but other sell the pills over the counter and they are cheaper than buying them online. And they can be legally carried into the US.

The question I have is what are the states that ban abortion going to do about this? Will these abortion laws go the same route as the Prohibition law?
This is what they're going to do:

“Medication abortions have become a target of anti-abortion politicians and activists. Indiana bans medication abortion at 10 weeks, and Texas after seven weeks; other state medication abortion bans have been blocked by courts.

Thirty-two states allow only physicians, and not other clinicians such as nurse practitioners, to dispense abortion pills, according to the Guttmacher Institute. Nineteen states require that the dispensing clinician be in the patient's physical presence, effectively banning telemedicine.”

And expect the authoritarian, neo-fascist right to continue to pursue even more aggressive measures to force women to give birth against their will.

This is what they're going to do:

“Medication abortions have become a target of anti-abortion politicians and activists. Indiana bans medication abortion at 10 weeks, and Texas after seven weeks; other state medication abortion bans have been blocked by courts.

Thirty-two states allow only physicians, and not other clinicians such as nurse practitioners, to dispense abortion pills, according to the Guttmacher Institute. Nineteen states require that the dispensing clinician be in the patient's physical presence, effectively banning telemedicine.”

And expect the authoritarian, neo-fascist right to continue to pursue even more aggressive measures to force women to give birth against their will.
I 'don't believe there is any effective way to block the drug from being sent into the US because it is approved by the FDA and it has medical uses other than terminating pregnancy. With the drug being legal in most countries and in many countries without a prescription, it would be impossible to keep the drug out of the US. And as this thread is showing, enforcement of an abortion ban against medical abortions taking place in the privacy of woman's home is not going to happen.

And as this thread is showing, enforcement of an abortion ban against medical abortions taking place in the privacy of woman's home is not going to happen.

I've got no dog in this fight. All the females in my circles are long beyond child-bearing; however, I could imagine a scenario that a concerned fertile woman would very privately 'stockpile' a supply.....one, two, or whatever (?) number is required. She could keep them safe for the 'just-in-case' event.

Yeah, I could easily imagine that there could soon existed a 'shadow inventory' of these pills secreted in many homes.

I've got no dog in this fight. All the females in my circles are long beyond child-bearing; however, I could imagine a scenario that a concerned fertile woman would very privately 'stockpile' a supply.....one, two, or whatever (?) number is required. She could keep them safe for the 'just-in-case' event.

Yeah, I could easily imagine that there could soon existed a 'shadow inventory' of these pills secreted in many homes.
There are at least 6 sources that will mail the pills to any state delivered in 6 to 14 days. The cost is $110 to $450. I believe one of the companies is an abortion clinic in the US because it mentions FDA approved drugs and procedure approved by the FDA. I think the others are just pharmacies. However all them have helplines.

I don't think there is any reason a women needs an inventory of pills because 14 days was the longest delivery time.

The procedure is very simple. If using just the abortion pill, the patient takes the pill and it cuts off the hormone needed to keep the pregnancy going. In about 24 hours the woman will have a miscarriage. The two pill procedure which is the FDA recommendation requires the first pill that stops the hormone and 24 hours latter, the patient take the second pill which induces the miscarriage.

1660939437005.png

Abortion Pills are now being sold on the Internet by at least 6 different companies. Prices range from $110 to $450. A site called plancpills.org has information on the pills and where to get them. These companies also offer mail forwarding so states with abortion bans will not be able to trace the address of a package back to the company. Also shipping the pills through the US mail is legal.

In Mexico abortion is not illegal. They leave that up to the various states, however women are protected against prosecution for having an abortion. In most Mexican states the abortion pills are available at pharmacies, some require a prescriptions which is readily available but other sell the pills over the counter and they are cheaper than buying them online. And they can be legally carried into the US.

The question I have is what are the states that ban abortion going to do about this? Will these abortion laws go the same route as the Prohibition law?
I don't think they care as long as abortions are limited or just do not happen. Taking a pill or a vaccine is a choice.

I don't think they care as long as abortions are limited or just do not happen. Taking a pill or a vaccine is a choice.
The results are the same as a clinical abortion, the pregnancy is terminated.

The Gallup Poll which has been tracking the abortion issue since 1998 show a major shift in American opinion on abortion. 20 years ago, 46% of the public were pro-choice and 46% were prolife. In 2022, 55% were pro-choice and only 39% were prolife. This poll was taken before Roe was overturned.

It will be interesting to see how many people still support banning abortion now with Roe overturned, making abortion a state issue. The state's right to control abortion was the primary concern of many conservatives as well as independents supporting banning abortion. They simply wanted to stop the federal government from interfering in what they considered a state decision.

I think within 10 years, most of the very strict abortion laws with go to 15 week cutoff or will be overturned by the state as more families have to deal with unwanted children, teen pregnancies, suicides, going out state for an abortion, and delays and difficulty in getting medical procedure approved that would terminate a pregnancy. Stories of untended results of bans will have an effect. A pregnant teen dies while waiting for approval of chemotherapy due an abortion ban. A Texas woman being force by the state to carry a dead fetus for two weeks.

Last edited:
The results are the same as a clinical abortion, the pregnancy is terminated.

The Gallup Poll which has been tracking the abortion issue since 1998 show a major shift in American opinion on abortion. 20 years ago, 46% of the public were pro-choice and 46% were prolife. In 2022, 55% were pro-choice and only 39% were prolife. This poll was taken before Roe was overturned.

It will be interesting to see how many people still support banning abortion now with Roe overturned, making abortion a state issue. The state's right to control abortion was the primary concern of many conservatives as well as independents supporting banning abortion. They simply wanted to stop the federal government from interfering in what they considered a state decision.

I think within 10 years, most of the very strict abortion laws with go to 15 week cutoff or will be overturned by the state as more families have to deal with unwanted children, teen pregnancies, suicides, and delays and difficulty in getting medical procedure approved that would terminate a pregnancy. Stories of untended results of ban will have an effect. A pregnant teen dyes while waiting for approval of chemotherapy due an abortion ban. A Texas woman being force by the state to carry a dead fetus for two weeks.

Do you not know the difference in "dyes' and "dies"? :abgg2q.jpg:

Where is your link for those tidbits?

Do you not know the difference in "dyes' and "dies"? :abgg2q.jpg:

Where is your link for those tidbits?
I have noticed that many of your replies are not really replies to posts but rather insults because of mistakes people make in writing. Insulting the intelligence of others may make make you feel superior but it doesn't make you superior. Do you not realize that most errors in writing are not due to ignorance which you certainly imply. Many replies are written hurriedly when people don't have the time to check every word and sentence. Because of my vision, I have to reread every sentence over and over and still miss stuff. I spent over half hour writing these few sentences.

In regard to links, they are only required by USMB with cuts and pastes. However, I use links liberally when quoting facts and figures or when I think I need backup to support what I write. I rarely us links to support subject matter that is easily found on the Internet.

Forum List

Back