How to reduce violent crime, if that is the actual goal, and it doesn't involve banning guns for normal people.

You can't demonstrate my owning a nuclear weapon harms you or places you in a condition of clear, present, and immediate danger, can you?
You didn't answer my question.
Methinks you know you cannot.

As my exercise of the right to own a gun does not harm you or place you in a condition of clear, present, and immediate danger, what restrictions on that exercise do you believe are justified?
And why?

You didn't answer my question.
Methinks you know you cannot.

As my exercise of the right to own a gun does not harm you or place you in a condition of clear, present, and immediate danger, what restrictions on that exercise do you believe are justified?
And why?
My question is the answer to yours.

I agree but if I see you walking around with a gun, how do I know you are normal and not about to point a gun at me?

Because they dont point a gun at you....

Pretty simple equation....but since you are a leftist it is a pretty tough one for you...

Neither can you demonstrate that you are mature, rational, law-abiding, and know how to use a gun safely.

EVERY right comes with restrictions. The only point up for debate is what those restrictions should be.

Yea....and if you are a criminal you cant buy, own or carry a gun.....if you do... the law already says we can arrest you...

So we already address illegal behavior with guns...

I don't agree my fears are irrational. People get killed by guns every day. But I will act on my fears and support rational gun regulations.

Peple are saved by guns every day.....more lives are saved from rape, robbery, mirder, beatings and stabbings than are taken by guns....

Guns kill people, I'm a people. Some people should not have guns do you dispute that? Do you have a plan to keep guns away from those that should not have them?

Yes.....if they are a criminal and they are caught in possession of a gun, we arrest them....if they use a gun to commit a crime, we arrest them.

Just like every other crime from rape to speeding, you are arrested after you break the law, not before

Because they dont point a gun at you....

Pretty simple equation....but since you are a leftist it is a pretty tough one for you...
Definitely a tough one since I'm not clairvoyant. I don't know if they will point a gun at me until they do. Kinda too late at that point.

Definitely a tough one since I'm not clairvoyant. I don't know if they will point a gun at me until they do. Kinda too late at that point.

Yeah.... you dont know of they will stab you, rape you, beat you, torture you,

until they do......

kinda too late at that point for any of those.......

What is your solution to know if someone is going to rape you before they do?

How about less reaction and more proaction?

How do you do that without being psychic?

It is already a crime to buy, own or carry a gun as a felon......

Cant get more proactive than that

Yes.....if they are a criminal and they are caught in possession of a gun, we arrest them....if they use a gun to commit a crime, we arrest them.

Just like every other crime from rape to speeding, you are arrested after you break the law, not before
OK, but to legally drive a car on public roads, I have to first prove I can drive safely. Seems reasonable to me.

Yeah.... you dont know of they will stab you, rape you, beat you, torture you,

until they do......

kinda too late at that point for any of those.......

What is your solution to know if someone is going to rape you before they do?
Take reasonable precautions.

OK, but to legally drive a car on public roads, I have to first prove I can drive safely. Seems reasonable to me.

Except driving isnt a Right.

Much like you democrats demanding blacks pass a literacy test before they could vote, that prior restraint on the Right was is unConstitutional......the 2nd Amendment is no less a Right than voting

Peple are saved by guns every day.....more lives are saved from rape, robbery, mirder, beatings and stabbings than are taken by guns....
I don't disagree, that is why I don't advocate banning guns:

Studies Exploring the Effects of Shall-Issue Concealed-Carry Laws on Violent Crime, 1997–2004​

StudySignificant Effect Reported (Main Specification)
Lott and Mustard (1997)aDecrease in violent crime, murders, rapes, and assaults
Bartley and Cohen (1998)Decrease in violent crime robust to alternate model specifications
Black and Nagin (1998)Increase in assaults
Bronars and Lott (1998)Decrease in murders and rapes, displacement of crime to other jurisdictions
Lott (1998a)aDecrease in violent crime in most states implementing the law
Lott (1998b)aDecrease in violent crime; increase in property crime
Ludwig (1998)None detected
Ayres and Donohue (1999)aIncrease in property crime
Lott and Landes (1999)aDecrease in murders and injuries from multiple-victim public shootings
Lott (2000)aDecrease in all crime categories
Benson and Mast (2001)Decrease in violent crime, murders, rapes, and robberies
Duggan (2001)Decrease in assaults
Moody (2001)aDecrease in violent crime
Olson and Maltz (2001)Decrease in firearm murders
Plassmann and Tideman (2001)Decrease in murders and rapes; increase in robberies
Lott and Whitley (2003)aDecrease in violent crime, murders, rapes, and robberies
Plassmann and Whitley (2003)bDecrease in rapes and robberies
Rubin and Dezhbakhsh (2003)Decrease in murders; increase in robberies
Ayres and Donohue (2003a)aIncrease in more crime categories than saw a decrease
Ayres and Donohue (2003b)aIncrease or no effect in all crime categories
Donohue (2003)aMixed; effects were sensitive to model specifications and data
Helland and Tabarrok (2004)Increase in property crime, auto thefts, and larcenies
a These studies are treated in this report as being superseded by later studies by the same authors.

b This same paper was earlier circulated as Lott, Plassmann, and Whitley (2002).

Forum List

Back