How powerful is AR-15 ammo? 5.56 and .223.......not very, compared to other rifles......

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yeah....the anti-gun fascists know that if they can dupe Americans into banning the AR-15 rifle, they won't be able to deny the anti-gunners banning all the other semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns....since they all operate the same way....

One of the lies they are telling to achieve this end is that the AR-15 is different from other rifles..........then, if they get it banned, they will reverse everything they said and state how the AR-15 is the same as every other rifle...

They both leave their victims unrecognizable.

No, they don't.....

Dr. Fackler found that about 85% of military 5.56mm FMJ bullets travel point-forward at least five inches before beginning to yaw. The straighter the bullet hits the target, the longer it will take to yaw after it strikes. Thus, a nondeforming full metal jacket rifle bullet can pass completely through a human target without yawing or fragmenting, leaving a small wound channel and relatively mild injury unless it strikes a vital organ, bone, or other critical structure.

-----

Mark Bowden's bestselling book Black Hawk Down gives vivid accounts of less-than-lethal performance of the Army's green-tip 5.56mm bullet (M855) in the Battle of Mogadishu in 1993. He describes one Delta operator's rounds as

passing right through his targets. When the Sammies were close enough he could see when he hit them. . . . t was like sticking somebody with an ice pick. The bullet made a small, clean hole, and unless hit happened to hit the heart or spine, it wasn't enough to stop a man in his tracks. [The operator] felt like he had to hit a guy five or six times just to get his attention.

These instances are consistent with Dr. Fackler's own findings. He recounts that

n 1980, I treated a soldier shot accidentally with an M16 M193 bullet from a distance of about ten feet. The bullet entered his left thigh and traveled obliquely upward. It exited after passing through about 11 inches of muscle. The man walked into my clinic with no limp whatsoever: the entrance and exit holes were about 4mm across, and punctate. X-ray films showed intact bones, no bullet fragments, and no evidence of significant tissue disruption caused by the bullet's temporary cavity. The bullet path passed well lateral to the femoral vessels. He was back on duty in a few days. Devastating? Hardly.

Dr. Fackler further notes that "n my experience and research, at least as many M16 users in Vietnam concluded that [the 5.56mm] produced unacceptably minimal, rather than 'massive,' wounds."

Like any firearm, the AR rifle in typical calibers such as .223/5.56mm, can cause serious or lethal wounds, and so can other rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Wound profiles from the Army's Wound Ballistics Laboratory illustrate the permanent and temporary cavities, penetration depth, deformation, and fragmentation of both the deforming (soft-point) .223 caliber bullet, the non-deforming 5.56mm FMJ bullet, and other larger caliber bullets typically used in hunting rifles (e.g., .30-30, .308). A comparison of those profiles shows that the wounding effects of the larger caliber bullets are at least as extensive as the .223/5.56, and typically more so.

According to Dr. Fackler, the .223 Remington is "a 'varmint' cartridge, used effectively for shooting woodchucks, crows, and coyotes." Because of its smaller size, there is an ongoing debate among hunters over whether the .223 round has adequate terminal performance for taking deer or larger game. Some states ban the use of .223 caliber rifles when hunting deer and other animals larger than varmints because their rounds lack sufficient power. The ethos of hunting is to take an animal with a single fatal shot. In the views of some state game commissions, the usual AR calibers of .223 and 5.56mm are too weak; at least a .270 is required for hunting deer, antelope, or anything larger.

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/02/27/how-powerful-are-ar-rifles/

I have always heard, and read, about the hydrostatic shock that happens when the .223/5.56mm bullet hits. The speed is a huge part of the equation of "power".

Also, there are a large number of hog hunters who swear by the .223/5.56mm. And a feral hog is a tough bastard.

But the idea that this rifle is more dangerous or more powerful is ridiculous. I have a Springfield M1A in .308. If you want to see power in a semi-auto, I've got it.

They both leave their victims unrecognizable.
Did you bother to read the linked article? The .223/5.56 is the weakest, least damaging center fire rifle cartridge in common use. The .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO round does more than double the damage and the common 30.06 military/hunting round does nearly three times the damage. Go up to the .338 Lapua which is a preferred military sniper round and the damage is nearly FIVE TIMES as much as the anemic .223/5.56 round.

I have always heard, and read, about the hydrostatic shock that happens when the .223/5.56mm bullet hits. The speed is a huge part of the equation of "power".

Also, there are a large number of hog hunters who swear by the .223/5.56mm. And a feral hog is a tough bastard.

But the idea that this rifle is more dangerous or more powerful is ridiculous. I have a Springfield M1A in .308. If you want to see power in a semi-auto, I've got it.
The biggest part of the equation is the mass of the bullet. A .223/5.56 bullet is typically 55 grains a .308 is 180

Did you bother to read the linked article? The .223/5.56 is the weakest, least damaging center fire rifle cartridge in common use. The .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO round does more than double the damage and the common 30.06 military/hunting round does nearly three times the damage. Go up to the .338 Lapua which is a preferred military sniper round and the damage is nearly FIVE TIMES as much as the anemic .223/5.56 round.

Yeah......but those other calibers havent had years of ledt wing propaganda against them.....they need to ban the AR-15 to come back and ban those other rifles......all rifles are on the list, but the AR-15 is the key to their strategy

Shortly they will have a new weapon and round to bitch about:

1682967396792.jpeg

Yeah....the anti-gun fascists know that if they can dupe Americans into banning the AR-15 rifle, they won't be able to deny the anti-gunners banning all the other semi-automatic rifles, pistols and shotguns....since they all operate the same way....

One of the lies they are telling to achieve this end is that the AR-15 is different from other rifles..........then, if they get it banned, they will reverse everything they said and state how the AR-15 is the same as every other rifle...

They're not going to stop at any point.

They're NEVER going to give up on the end objective. The ENTIRE VERY END OF THEIR OBJECTIVE.

A "free citizen" will be forbidden from possession of anything that can be construed to be a weapon.

In the "utopian" future the bed wetters envision we will have all the 2A rights inmates in penitentiaries do. If an agent of "big sis" finds a small roll of cord in a place "she/they" believes is unusual and suspects nefarious intention based on your possession of a bible and extra rations you didn't have stamp stubs for, then "she/they" may arrest you and deport you for humanitarian labor conscription.

10x10 will equal 69, weapons make you dangerous, possessions make you greedy.

I'd take a little different angle of this .. while the most common round fired from AR-15 is the .223 / 5.56, it can be configured for many other calibers including .308, .45 ACP, 5.7x28, .300 Blackout, .458 Socom, etc .. It only demonstrates Democrats lack of knowledge about black and scary firearms designed only to kill humans, and can't be used for hunting.

People make the mistake of thinking an AR15 is the same as an M16... they are worlds apart... the AR15 just doesn't have the range to take into a combat situation and its a semi auto...
Actually some of my ARs with 20 inch, 18 inch 16 inch barrels have a greater muzzle velocity with M-855 and M-193 than the current issued M-4s with a 14 inch barrel.

The only real difference between my A1, A2 and M-4 clones is the select fire switch.

My Colt 6920 M-4 clones are made to the same specs at what they make for the government issue rifles except for a 16 inch barrel instead of 14 inch. Of course add ons are different.

However, having said all that the practical difference in the greater muzzle velocity is not very great. For instance, for M-193 there is only about a 15-20 yard difference in the bullet fragmentation from a 20 inch barrel compared to a 14 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Let's settle this issue once and for all.

One of these rounds is fired by the AR15.
It shreds flesh, shatters bone. liquefies organs and vaporizes small children.

The other is one of the most popular hunting cartridges in North America.

Which is which?

30-06-vs-5.56-ammo-side-by-side.jpg

That's why my "ranch gun" is an AK-47. If I really need to take longer shots I have a .308. And hopefully soon a .22-250 and maybe a .45-70.

Forum List

Back