How powerful is AR-15 ammo? 5.56 and .223.......not very, compared to other rifles......

"A 223 remington (standard AR15 ammunition) is a deer hunting caliber that allows people to hunt deer within 100 yards range. Though deer hunting with a 223 is now considered legal in some states but there are still controversies over the fact. Though there are permissions to use a 223 for deer in some regions but it is believed that it is wrong to use a 223."

And ^^^ this is with EXPANDING specialty hunting ammunition. The inexpensive Army Surplus ammo like M193 is non-expanding ammunition... Because expanding bullets are forbidden under the Geneva Convention.

"ICC Statute​

Pursuant to Article 8(2)(b)(xix) of the 1998 ICC Statute, “[e]mploying bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core or is pierced with incisions” constitutes a war crime in international armed conflicts."

They both leave their victims unrecognizable.
Image of AR-15 bullet fired from Skylab shows the devastating power on the AR-15.

iStock-asteroid-768x512.jpg

More testimony about the under performing AR-15 rifle...

Most gun crimes, including mass shootings, take place at close range. Dr. Fackler observes that at close range “the 12 gauge shotgun (using either buckshot or a rifled slug) is far more likely to incapacitate than is a .223 rifle. The 12 gauge shotgun is simply a far more powerful weapon.” Martin Fackler, Questions and Comments, 5 WOUND BALLISTIC REV. 5 (Fall 2001). Dr. P.K. Stefanopoulos, trauma surgeon and former career military officer who has written extensively on wound ballistics, states that at distances of less than 10 feet “the shotgun produces the most devastating injuries of all small arms.” P.K. Stefanopoulos, et al., Wound Ballistics of Firearm-Related Injuries—Part 1: Missile Characteristics and Mechanisms of Soft Tissue Wounding, 43 INT. J. ORAL MAXILLOFAC. SURG. 1445, 1453 (2014).
Powerful handgun rounds can cause similar wounding effects to the AR.
------

Research shows that “assault weapons” are less deadly in mass public shootings than handguns. One study examined the relationship between the type of firearm used, wounding characteristics, and probability of death in mass public shootings. See Babak Sarani, et al., Wounding Patterns Based on Firearm Type in Civilian Public Mass Shootings in the United States, 228 J.
AMER. COLLEGE SURGEONS 228 (March 2019). The researchers studied firearm types and autopsy reports for 232 victims from 23 mass shootings, including high-casualty shootings with “assault weapons” at Orlando and Las Vegas.

The researchers, to their surprise, found that that public shootings with handguns are more lethal than those with rifles because they result in more wounds per victim and more injuries to vital organs. Id. at 228-29, 232-33. “All of us were shocked,” Dr. Sarani said. “We came to the table with our bias that an assault weapon would be worse.” Carolyn Crist, Handguns more lethal than rifles in mass shootings, Reuters (Dec. 31, 2018).19.
Victims shot with a handgun were almost four times more likely to have three or more wounds compared with those shot with a rifle. Thus “the probability of death is higher for events involving a handgun than a rifle.” Sarani at 232. Twenty-six percent of victims shot with handguns and 16% shot with shotguns had multiple fatal organ injuries; only 2% of those shot by a rifle had two or more fatal organ injuries. Id. Wounds to the brain and heart, which have
higher fatality rates than gunshots to other organs, were most likely to occur when handguns were used. Id. at 233. Victims shot with rifles were twice as likely to have a preventable death (if medical care were rendered in time) than those shot with other firearms. Id. at 231.

Last edited:
You are incredibly clueless. Ask the parents in Uvalde or Newtown.
Soldiers in combat suggested that existing ammunition (like the M855 5.56mm round) was often ineffective against the enemy, especially in urban environments where bullets tended to pass “through and through,” causing insufficient injury to put the enemy out of the fight, and escalating civilian deaths from ricochets and the increased number of bullets fired.

Depends on what ammo they were using. FMJ 5.56 rounds are not that effective.

In my opinion, it's not so much a question of the impact of the bullets (although, they are lethal and can cause significant damage at ranges of less than 50 yards), but rather the fact that you can throw 30 rounds downrange rather quickly. You can fire them as quickly as you can squeeze the trigger, and they hold a lot of ammo before needing to be reloaded.

Do you REALLY need something that can fire off 30 rounds in less than 30 seconds? If you say that you need it for hunting, then you are piss poor hunter. Most hunters I've known (and I'm one of them incidentally) take pride in the fact that they can bring down a deer or other animal in 1 shot. 2 if they've had a bad shot on the first one.

30 rounds isn't required.

In my opinion, it's not so much a question of the impact of the bullets (although, they are lethal and can cause significant damage at ranges of less than 50 yards), but rather the fact that you can throw 30 rounds downrange rather quickly. You can fire them as quickly as you can squeeze the trigger, and they hold a lot of ammo before needing to be reloaded.

Do you REALLY need something that can fire off 30 rounds in less than 30 seconds? If you say that you need it for hunting, then you are piss poor hunter. Most hunters I've known (and I'm one of them incidentally) take pride in the fact that they can bring down a deer or other animal in 1 shot. 2 if they've had a bad shot on the first one.

For survival against violent criminals, more is better........you don't get to tell a man or a woman ....you only get 10 chances to save your family because I don't like you having more bullets.......

There are a few situations where more rounds is better in a hunting situation. Not 30, perhaps. But still.

I am one of those hunters who pride myself on using one shot. In fact, my main hunting rifle is a single shot.

But with coyotes, the AR gives you a chance at a double. I got only one of these. But it was sweet. Then I sold the AR I built.

Feral hogs is another where getting more than one animal is good.

Not your job to determine someone's needs. Or wants.

For survival against violent criminals, more is better........you don't get to tell a man or a woman ....you only get 10 chances to save your family because I don't like you having more bullets.......

Not your job to determine someone's needs. Or wants.

"All bearable arms"
Your perception of need does not matter.

For hunting, give me a bolt action rifle. 308 or 30ot6. For home defense, I prefer a 40 cal handgun or 9mm, as both have more than enough ammo for an intruder (almost all home invasions are done by 4 or less people, with the vast majority being only 1 or 2, and those handguns can carry 10 rounds. If your home is invaded by more than 4 people, you are probably very rich and important, and will have other security measures in place). As far as an AR-15 for home defense? Sorry, but a handgun is better since you can maneuver it easier in tight places (like a home) than a rifle.

Again................outside of a war zone, I can't see the need for being able to throw 30 rounds downrange in less than 30 seconds.

Unless, you're looking to kill a whole bunch of people quickly because you've decided to become a mass shooter.

Forum List

Back