How powerful is AR-15 ammo? 5.56 and .223.......not very, compared to other rifles......

There are a few situations where more rounds is better in a hunting situation. Not 30, perhaps. But still.

I am one of those hunters who pride myself on using one shot. In fact, my main hunting rifle is a single shot.

But with coyotes, the AR gives you a chance at a double. I got only one of these. But it was sweet. Then I sold the AR I built.

Feral hogs is another where getting more than one animal is good.

I can actually see the utility of having an AR-15 if a person is hunting feral hogs, as those animals are very mean tempered and hard to bring down with just one or two shots. But how many people do you know who go hunting for feral hogs? They aren't good eating. However, they can overrun an area (the TX panhandle is one such place) and they do need to be thinned out on occasion because they eat everything in sight.

But, like I said, there aren't many people who go out hunting for wild hogs very often.

For hunting, give me a bolt action rifle. 308 or 30ot6. For home defense, I prefer a 40 cal handgun or 9mm, as both have more than enough ammo for an intruder (almost all home invasions are done by 4 or less people, with the vast majority being only 1 or 2, and those handguns can carry 10 rounds. If your home is invaded by more than 4 people, you are probably very rich and important, and will have other security measures in place). As far as an AR-15 for home defense? Sorry, but a handgun is better since you can maneuver it easier in tight places (like a home) than a rifle.

Again................outside of a war zone, I can't see the need for being able to throw 30 rounds downrange in less than 30 seconds.

Unless, you're looking to kill a whole bunch of people quickly because you've decided to become a mass shooter.
Come get them.

For hunting, give me a bolt action rifle. 308 or 30ot6. For home defense, I prefer a 40 cal handgun or 9mm, as both have more than enough ammo for an intruder (almost all home invasions are done by 4 or less people, with the vast majority being only 1 or 2, and those handguns can carry 10 rounds. If your home is invaded by more than 4 people, you are probably very rich and important, and will have other security measures in place). As far as an AR-15 for home defense? Sorry, but a handgun is better since you can maneuver it easier in tight places (like a home) than a rifle.

Again................outside of a war zone, I can't see the need for being able to throw 30 rounds downrange in less than 30 seconds.

Unless, you're looking to kill a whole bunch of people quickly because you've decided to become a mass shooter.
You don't need a large capacity magazine to commit mass murder.

The Va Tech shooter used handguns. Shot 49, killing 32.

People make the mistake of thinking an AR15 is the same as an M16... they are worlds apart... the AR15 just doesn't have the range to take into a combat situation and its a semi auto...

They're very similar, actually. The difference is that the AR-15 is semiautomatic only, while, depending on the version, the M-16 can operate in semiautomatic mode and also in either fully-automatic or three-shot burst mode.

I'm given to understand that in early versions, the parts were all interchangeable between them, that if you got your hands on just an early M-16 lower-receiver, and you had an early AR-15, you could turn the AR-15 effectively into an M-16 by swapping in the M-16 lower-receiver in place of the AR-15 lower-receiver.

They're very similar, actually. The difference is that the AR-15 is semiautomatic only, while, depending on the version, the M-16 can operate in semiautomatic mode and also in either fully-automatic or three-shot burst mode.

I'm given to understand that in early versions, the parts were all interchangeable between them, that if you got your hands on just an early M-16 lower-receiver, and you had an early AR-15, you could turn the AR-15 effectively into an M-16 by swapping in the M-16 lower-receiver in place of the AR-15 lower-receiver.
No. You need the M16 sear, bolt, selector, and disconnector..

They both leave their victims unrecognizable.

AR15Ignorance.png

They weren't similar. There were design changes to the lower receiver, bolt assembly and pin holes so they would not be interchangeable.

Soldiers in combat suggested that existing ammunition (like the M855 5.56mm round) was often ineffective against the enemy, especially in urban environments where bullets tended to pass “through and through,” causing insufficient injury to put the enemy out of the fight, and escalating civilian deaths from ricochets and the increased number of bullets fired.
The victims I'm referencing, in both Newtown and Uvalde, were children. I've heard the same stories about the 5.56 round though.

The victims I'm referencing, in both Newtown and Uvalde, were children. I've heard the same stories about the 5.56 round though.
I know you are. And I am referencing 60 years of soldiers experience.

We don’t know what round was used.

Next, the Ar 15 or M16, fired an intermediate powered cartridge. It has power than a standard or battle rifle.

It is not his magically powerful weapon.

Imagine, had they been shot w/ 000 buck.

Why imagine...

The end of having to imagine what shotgun 00 buck would do.............comes in at the 6:45 mark....

The 00 buck actually decapitates the head........and the slug vaporizes it......

That's why my "ranch gun" is an AK-47. If I really need to take longer shots I have a .308. And hopefully soon a .22-250 and maybe a .45-70.

I was surprised how much fun and how accurate a .45-70 was.
But at about $1 shot, too expensive unless you reload your own.

219siberiahole.jpg

This hole was made by Apollo 13 astronaut sgt York when he fired an AR-15 from orbit around mars. That sucka is deadly. Incidentally the recoil from that one shot caused his spacecraft to go into a decaying orbit and burn up during lunar reentry.

Never use a bolt action for hunting.
If you need a second shot for some reason, the wounded game will be long gone, and you likely won't be able to track them. So you will have caused them to bleed out for nothing.

Hand guns are terrible for home defense.
Sure you can maneuver them more quickly, but unless you keep it up to your eye level, and fully extended, you can't tell where you would be shooting.
And that is VERY tiring.
While with a light rifle, it is easy to accurately shoot from the hip.

Most handguns also have 30 shot magazines available, so that is totally irrelevant.

Any fool, you, that fired off 30 rounds in 30 seconds isn't hitting anything and is being irresponsible. Oh yeah traitor, come take them.

At that close of range, a tiny and weak .22 LR will do horrendous damage.
There is nothing remotely powerful or destructive about the .223 of the AR rifles.
They are small and weak relatively.

I was surprised how much fun and how accurate a .45-70 was.
But at about $1 shot, too expensive unless you reload your own.
I think a dollar a shot is cheap for 45-70 isn't it?? I thought it was more like two to three dollars a shot. I would absolutely love to have a big bore lever action. 444 also grabs my attention.

Forum List

Back