How often should I change my oil?

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
I got my first new car ever in my life. It's a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I love it. So I want to take care of it.

I seem to have trouble getting a straight answer about how often to change the oil. Here's the dilemma...I don't put a lot of miles on the car.

The car had 75 miles on it when I got it October 18, 2013. Now it has about 1600 miles on it. I'm only putting about 250 something miles on it per month.

I think the manufacturer's book says change the oil every 3700 miles or so. But then people are always saying you should change it every three months, regardless of mileage? I mean REALLY???

My plan is to change it every six months at the current mileage I'm putting on it. Shouldn't that be okay? That means I'll be changing the oil about every 1600 miles or less.

I have a Hyundai i30, and I am told that I need the oil change every 7,500 ks because I only drive 'short' distances'. That works out to be every three months - apparently, unless you take it for a really long drive, the oil won't heat up and will clog the pipes, and get all dirty and gross.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer either - just check the oil once a month, and if it looks like it needs changing, do it yourself.

My Hyundai dealer offered, when I bought, a "lifetime oil change" package for about $350. Since I keep a car until the wheels fall off, I bit. Bought it in 2008 - it now has about 17,000 miles on it but the oil and filter get changed free every three months.

They recommended 3,000 miles but in such light service the issue is water condensing into the pan so the much shorter interval is appropriate.

The issue is major in cold climates, especially in winter. You may want to think about changing at about 3,000 in the warmer seasons despite how many months it takes to get there but go over to the 3-months maximum when it's cool.

I have a Hyundai i30, and I am told that I need the oil change every 7,500 ks because I only drive 'short' distances'. That works out to be every three months - apparently, unless you take it for a really long drive, the oil won't heat up and will clog the pipes, and get all dirty and gross.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer either - just check the oil once a month, and if it looks like it needs changing, do it yourself.

Do it myself? Are you kidding? Good grief, Noomi. How many people do you know that change their own oil, especially women? Let's narrow that down...how many people who are women and work full-time jobs plus do most everything around the house with no help from their husband...change their own oil?

Don't be silly.

My Hyundai dealer offered, when I bought, a "lifetime oil change" package for about $350. Since I keep a car until the wheels fall off, I bit. Bought it in 2008 - it now has about 17,000 miles on it but the oil and filter get changed free every three months.

They recommended 3,000 miles but in such light service the issue is water condensing into the pan so the much shorter interval is appropriate.

The issue is major in cold climates, especially in winter. You may want to think about changing at about 3,000 in the warmer seasons despite how many months it takes to get there but go over to the 3-months maximum when it's cool.

I'm leasing, but I think I was offered some kind of oil change package also. But I turned it down.

It's not the cost of the oil change that bothers me so much as the freaking hassle.

What you're saying rings true, though.

Would changing less often be okay with synthetic oil?

I drove my 1996 Chevy C-10 for 124,000 miles before changing the oil. Still runs great at 265,000 miles, starts fast and easy...

Do it myself? Are you kidding? Good grief, Noomi. How many people do you know that change their own oil, especially women? Let's narrow that down...how many people who are women and work full-time jobs plus do most everything around the house with no help from their husband...change their own oil?

Don't be silly.

I worked full time, did house work and worked on two autos also. Women need to learn mechanics...

I change my oil every 3000 to 5000 miles. It's not that expensive, and it ensures a longer life for your car.

My primary work truck has over 500,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 3,000 (I use Castrol Syntech) and I change the dif oil every 50,000. Still running the same engine!

I got my first new car ever in my life. It's a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I love it. So I want to take care of it.

I seem to have trouble getting a straight answer about how often to change the oil. Here's the dilemma...I don't put a lot of miles on the car.

The car had 75 miles on it when I got it October 18, 2013. Now it has about 1600 miles on it. I'm only putting about 250 something miles on it per month.

I think the manufacturer's book says change the oil every 3700 miles or so. But then people are always saying you should change it every three months, regardless of mileage? I mean REALLY???

My plan is to change it every six months at the current mileage I'm putting on it. Shouldn't that be okay? That means I'll be changing the oil about every 1600 miles or less.

My plan is to change it every six months at the current mileage I'm putting on it

your fine

I drove my 1996 Chevy C-10 for 124,000 miles before changing the oil. Still runs great at 265,000 miles, starts fast and easy...

i have an old ford f250 i dont know how many miles i have put on it but lots

i have never changed the oil in that one

--LOL

I would check with the dealer.

Proof of oil changes and other preventive maintenance is required to keep the manufacturers warranty in force.

Receipts: Make sure you keep 'em (All)
Keep all receipts on any maintenance work done at facilities other than the dealership while your car is under warranty. Some people do not return to the dealer for service after buying a new vehicle. They have their vehicles serviced at quick lubes, their local repair facility, and/or anywhere they can find a deal. It's okay, as long as the service provider uses the specified fluids and OEM (original equipment) quality filters. So what's the problem? A lot of folks don't keep records and receipts. They have no documentation proving that the services were done according to mileage intervals as specified by the carmaker. When it comes time to file a warranty claim, the carmakers will ask for proof that the services were done. No receipts? No warranty coverage. This is one benefit of going to a dealer for regular maintenance while under warranty; the carmaker requires that they keep meticulous records. When and if a warranty claim becomes necessary, the dealership simply transfers all vehicle records electronically to the proper people for processing.

5 Dumb Things That Can Void Your Car Warranty

Last edited:
Spark plugs i change them every 125,000 miles also. The way that the oil and automotive industry suggest is just to line their pockets....

Do what the manufacturer says.(3700 miles).

The only reason to do anything different is if you use it in unusual ways, like constant super hot running/towing, or you let it sit for months without turning over the engine.

Don't worry about it.

Do what the manufacturer says.(3700 miles).

The only reason to do anything different is if you use it in unusual ways, like constant super hot running/towing, or you let it sit for months without turning over the engine.

Don't worry about it.

But, Percy...I worry about EVERYTHING. :) Now I'm worrying about studded tires. I think I'll post a thread about that.

I use 100% synthetic & change the oil filter every 6,000 miles & oil & filter every 12,000 miles. If you use conventional oil, change oil & filter every 4,000 miles. Engine stays shiny clean down inside if you do it that way.

Last edited:
I'm leasing, but I think I was offered some kind of oil change package also. But I turned it down.

It's not the cost of the oil change that bothers me so much as the freaking hassle.

What you're saying rings true, though.

Would changing less often be okay with synthetic oil?

With a lease the matter of lifetime oil for a fixed price becomes less attractive than with an outright purchase. You likely done good.

But hassle? None involved. When it's near time I just call the service department of ANY of the dealer's branches (some sell other brand vehicles but they all honor the contract), take it in as scheduled and it's done in about 30 minutes. They do try to sell additional services but not a hard sell and sometimes for stuff like tire rotation it's worth adding 15 minutes to the time spent. But I wouldn't buy anything like even wiper blades through a dealer - too big a markup!

Short distance driving is much harder on your car because the motor doesn't heat up and burn the carbon out.

You really need to drive it down the highway every once in a while for about 20 minutes and blow the crud out of the engine and exhaust. ... :cool:

Forum List

Back