First ride on my new Burgman

Where I live, the kids on crotch rockets generally do wear helmets - usually full-face.

The old bastards on cruisers (mainly Harley E-Glides) either wear no helmet, a "do-rag" in place of a helmet, or a ridiculous beanie helmet. Most wear sunglasses of some kind but some have nothing at all to protect their eyes.

The theory that has been articulated to me is that if you have a significant accident while wearing a helmet you will likely end up a quadraplegic - without a helmet you'll get killed. Option 2, if you please.

But I just think it's insane not to wear eye protection. There is always the possibility you will get stuck behind a construction vehicle throwing up pebbles.

I was once struck in the face, at about 45 mph, by a large, hard shelled flying beetle. I went all over the road, but stayed up. If there'd been any vehicle passing me, behind me, or coming at me, I'd be dead.

I also almost got killed when a bungee-strapped set of coverals came loose, wrapped around the sprocket, locked the rear wheel, flat spotted a tire, bent the frame, and almost got me run over by an 18 wheeler. I paced the black mark on I 55 and I'd stopped from 65mph in about 80 ft.

I love bikes, but yes, helmet, too, and on rural roads only, just to enjoy a nice evening with my Filipina.

I was once struck in the face, at about 45 mph, by a large, hard shelled flying beetle. I went all over the road, but stayed up. If there'd been any vehicle passing me, behind me, or coming at me, I'd be dead.

I also almost got killed when a bungee-strapped set of coverals came loose, wrapped around the sprocket, locked the rear wheel, flat spotted a tire, bent the frame, and almost got me run over by an 18 wheeler. I paced the black mark on I 55 and I'd stopped from 65mph in about 80 ft.

To this day, my uncle refuses to wear a full-face helmet after (his words) "a wasp the size of a damned ping-pong ball" managed to slip through the gap beneath his slightly-open face shield. :eek: He stopped and yanked off the helmet so fact that he dropped his bike, then flung the helmet (and wasp-zilla) away.

It landed maybe 40-50' away...in a pond. :oops:

Rode in the rain once with no helmet or goggles, not by choice. Rain hurts pretty good when trying to get some place.

What's your milage Jarlaxle? I have a yamaha road star 1700 silverado gas mileage 30ish or so. But I have some mods on it. The reason i asked. Is because I'm looking for something a bit more economical. Something I can ride 15 miles to work.

Low 50's (52-55) so far, and I really don't think it's broken in yet. (Only ~1100 miles.) My wife is getting 65-68 on her Hyosung Comet. My Qlink managed high 60's, best of 71.

I have heard of 70+MPG from a Honda Forza.

That's pretty good for milage. How does it hold up to traffic without being run over? I want something that will Atleast run 80mph. I'm assuming it's an automatic probably torque drive with a belt. Does it have much power?

The Burgy tops out just shy of 100MPH and will run 70+ all day. (Limited by gearing, not power.) The Qlink I'm not sure...I had it up to 75, never went faster. (I was nervous about more speed on the tiny 10" rear tire.) Like almost all scooters, they both use belt-and-roller CVT's with centrifugal clutch...it's twist and go.

Liz's Comet tops out around 90 (again, RPM limited); it uses a regular 5-speed motorcycle gearbox.

Forum List

Back