How Much Should A Teacher Get Paid?

The point I wanted to prove has been made by your actions. Imagine my surprise, when I found out that You were astute enough to realize my post concerned You. My best guess would be either (A). Your parental based carbon units never had detergent to wash your mouth out, or (B). Never applied the board of education to your little seat of learning. From Your post I have come to the realization that You as an individual are incapable of carrying on an intellectual conversation. You may need to seek some serious professional mental help, seeings how you are not capable of going to your "Happy Place" on your own. Oh, and just one more thing that you may have not realized in all of your ranting drivel, your opinions me exactly squat to me, well at least until your making my house or car payment. Until our next meeting of the minds, Ta Ta 4 now.

The avg teacher pay in my district is 55K. The avg home price is 300K. Its hard for unmarried people.

Marc - I had a professor in grad school who claimed that the public would like teachers paid "slightly less" than the avg salary in the community. Hence - teachers is wealthy districts are usually paid a lot more. (As long as it's less than everyone else). Makes sense.
An honest answer.

So do you think this is a good thing?

Riiiight. Only the answer that enforces your worldview and lets you advance your agenda is "honest".

:bsflag:

What are you so afraid of, that you can't sack up and answer any of the very honest and logical answers that involve actually pricing teacher salaries according to standard job market influences? Concerned that someone might expose the fact that you have no idea what standard job market influences on salaries actually ARE?

So the average non-educated citizen should make more than a teacher with a Master degree? Well, at least you are being honest. LOL!!

Why would you get a dollar amount, Mensa Boy? The cost of living and standard salaries vary widely according to where one lives. Telling you the dollar amount for where I am is going to mean nothing to you unless you also live in this area. Duuhhhh.

Then give the dollar amount in your area.

Iths thimple.

So far not even a range from your right wingers.

Interesting.

Again, Brain Trust, a dollar amount for my area would mean nothing to you unless you actually lived in my area. Otherwise, you know nothing of what the cost of living here is like, what the schools are like, what's expected of teachers in my district . . . none of the context that would make it meaningful.
I am pretty sure we can sum you up quite easily. Where do you live?

Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

What's REALLY interesting is how completely terrified YOU are of dealing with the obvious and logical responses of deciding based on market forces. Teachers are low- to middle-range professionals, usually with Bachelor's degrees, and should be paid according to the going rate in their area for such people. They should also, for the record, get comparable benefits to other such people, as well.

Your insistence on trying to make a complex question simplistic merely because your worldview and understanding are simplistic only makes you look more foolish the longer it goes on.

Last edited:
And should there be a cap on how much that can get paid?

How much is a teacher worth in your opinion?

they should get paid a wage appropriate to the cost of living in there area with raises based on performance. They should get 401-K and good medical insurance and free flu shots. That's basically how it works for my kids teachers.

Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an
hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!
We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....
That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an
hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Na my kids teachers make way more and turn out better results. If they don't perform they kick rocks and go work for a public school. Do a google on Cyfare school district and see how much tax dollars they get. Those are some well paid teachers as far as public school gos.

And how much money does the athletic program make for the university?

Next..........

I was looking at that too.

Here in Ohio Jim Tressel makes about 3.5 million a year. Football revenue was $65.16 million (total athletic revenue was $118 million). Tressel's winning ways are a big part of that.

Not to mention that those big bucks go right back to the school. Mostly in scholarships, infrastructure and the like but also to the library's and the institution in general.

Ohio State football: Buckeyes rank No. 4 when it comes to bringing in football money; Texas No. 1 | cleveland.com
Bingo!.......The athletic programs are a major component of a universities survival. A major component for schloarships. Booster donations. Alumni donations etc.

Urban legend.

According to USA Today compilations, between 2004 and 2009, the last year for which records are available, the university poured a total of $32.3 million in student fees and $75.8 million in direct institutional support into the athletic program. As of 2008-09, student fees and direct support — in other words, subsidies — provided more than 40 percent of the total cost of the program.

The worst may be to come, however. Big-time college sports — particularly big-time college football — is now an arms race in a world with no nonproliferation treaty. As confirmed by a series of reports from the National Collegiate Athletic Association, most college athletic programs lose money, and almost none of them makes money consistently. No wonder, then, that Rutgers President Richard McCormick acknowledges the athletic program will probably never make money.

But don’t be too hard on the board, either, because it has been encouraged, and enabled, by a long line of Garden State legislators and governors from both political parties. There is something about college athletics — particularly college football — that turns politicians’ brains to jelly.

Rutgers football: Big costs, few benefits | NJ.com

Sorry for the derailment - but this is one of my pet peeves. Cap teacher salaries; cap CEO salaries; but don't dare diss the religion of football.

Teachers (along with everyone else) should be whatever the market will pay them.

I teach people how to solve a very parrticular problem. I get paid a lot of money to do this because I am exceptionally talented at teaching this particular skill, there are very few people that can do what I do, and I am very good at finding people who need to learn how this problem solved.

If I was teaching kids how to recite the Alphabet I would make far less money. Teaching is going to go virtual anyway, kids won't be going to school- they'll stay home and turn on the internet.

What's the market? Wealthier districts pay more because they can afford it. They can attract good teachers with high salaries because the FAMILIES VALUE EDUCATION. With merit pay, these highly paid professional will make even more, because student scores are already so high.

In urban schools, the quality is lower. And I would even venture to say that higher salaries will do little to attract good talent. I wouldn't work in an inner city school for $100K a year. Would you?

Um. And Kindergarten teachers do a heck of a lot more than teach kids to recite the alphabet these days. Many of the students can't tie their shoes or aren't even potty trained. That's become the teacher's job as well. How much is that worth?

How much should teachers make?

Can't answer than until you tell us what the median family income is where they live and work.

Just about anyplace you go in the USA teachers median salaries are far below every other profession.

In WISCONSON for example, the median teachers salary is $48,000 which is about $7,000 less than the median family income in WI.

Still think WI's teachers are overpaid?

I know some of you do. It's obvious to me that many of you hate teachers, hate professors, and you hate intellectuals generally.

And, based on your writing and overall misinformed POVs about how our world works, I fully understand why many of you hate intellectuals, too.

Last edited:

Can't answer than until you tell us what the median family income is where they live and work.

Just about anyplace you go in the USA teachers median salaries are far below every other profession.

In WISCONSON for example, the median teachers salary is $48,000 which is about $7,000 less than the median family income in WI.

I know some of you do. It's obvious to me that many of you hate teachers, hate professors, and you hate intellectuals generally.

And, based on your writing and overall misinformed POVs about how our world works, I fully understand why many of you hate intellectuals, too.

median household income does not = median salary. A household may benefit from several salaries as well as additional revenue.

Teachers are professionals. They also have a crucial role in our society.

Because of their reduced hours, they should be paid 75% of what equivalent professionals make. 50 to 75k depending on experience and level of responsibility.

Tenure is a double edged sword for teachers. It protects them from being fired but also prevents them from offering their talents to multiple districts

median household income does not = median salary. A household may benefit from several salaries as well as additional revenue.

Very true, that comparison is clearly an apples to oranges fallacy.

First of all many people that haven't taken statistics don't understand that "median" and "average" mean two completely different things as to their representation of a data set.

Secondly the comparison fails because of comparing a data set of single source of income to another data set that is commonly exists with multiple sources of income.

>>>>

Teachers (along with everyone else) should be whatever the market will pay them.

I teach people how to solve a very parrticular problem. I get paid a lot of money to do this because I am exceptionally talented at teaching this particular skill, there are very few people that can do what I do, and I am very good at finding people who need to learn how this problem solved.

If I was teaching kids how to recite the Alphabet I would make far less money. Teaching is going to go virtual anyway, kids won't be going to school- they'll stay home and turn on the internet.

What's the market? Wealthier districts pay more because they can afford it. They can attract good teachers with high salaries because the FAMILIES VALUE EDUCATION. With merit pay, these highly paid professional will make even more, because student scores are already so high.

In urban schools, the quality is lower. And I would even venture to say that higher salaries will do little to attract good talent. I wouldn't work in an inner city school for $100K a year. Would you?

Um. And Kindergarten teachers do a heck of a lot more than teach kids to recite the alphabet these days. Many of the students can't tie their shoes or aren't even potty trained. That's become the teacher's job as well. How much is that worth?

Do you think teachers should be paid differently based on their specialty and the demand for that specialty? Should Phys Ed or Art teachers make the same even though there is not as much demand for their skills in the free market? Should Math and Science teachers be paid more?

Lechleiter-Luke makes $54,928 in base salary and $32,213 in “fringe benefits,” which include health insurance, life insurance and retirement pay.

Brad Lutes and his wife, Heather Lutes, told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz that Walker’s budget would hit them twice as hard.

“Having to explain to an 8- and 10-year old that the governor of your state basically wants to take money away from dad and mom? It’s just really, really frustrating,” Brad Lutes told Schultz.

He makes $49,412 in base salary with $27,987 in fringe benefits and his wife makes $50,240 with $9,413 in benefits. That’s $137,052 annually between the two of them.

Read more: Wisconsin Teacher Unions | Teachers Payed Higher Than Average Wisconsin | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Need to look at the fringe benefits also. Now that really doesn't look too bad, better than the private sector job, when the fringe benefits are included

The best qualified teachers should be in the poorer areas where the parental involvement is the least. There are professional teacher evaluators, called Praxis Reviewers that can determine the best teachers. These teachers should be receiving $10,000 (at least) more than the basic teachers in suburbia where students will progress even with the poorer teachers.

Teaching is one of the most important jobs there are and the secret of out future. Pay for this success well. The good teachers are hard to keep for their resumes will show the well equipped teacher to be very successful in business and hard to keep.

The best teachers know how to gain a rapport with the parents and are most apt to get more parent involvement than average teachers. They keep the parents informend and send home good notes and well as "We need to talk" notes. They work hard and go beyond the thier job to get involved.

Basic teachers should be paid $60,000 - $100,000 but not be protected by unions.

Last edited:

Lechleiter-Luke makes $54,928 in base salary and $32,213 in “fringe benefits,” which include health insurance, life insurance and retirement pay.

Brad Lutes and his wife, Heather Lutes, told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz that Walker’s budget would hit them twice as hard.

“Having to explain to an 8- and 10-year old that the governor of your state basically wants to take money away from dad and mom? It’s just really, really frustrating,” Brad Lutes told Schultz.

He makes $49,412 in base salary with $27,987 in fringe benefits and his wife makes $50,240 with $9,413 in benefits. That’s $137,052 annually between the two of them.

Read more: Wisconsin Teacher Unions | Teachers Payed Higher Than Average Wisconsin | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Need to look at the fringe benefits also. Now that really doesn't look too bad, better than the private sector job, when the fringe benefits are included

Sorry, but for two wage earners with professional degrees, that does not seem like a lot to me. Someone with a degree and in the workforce for ten plus years making $55k is not impressive

Last edited:

Sorry, but for two wage earners with professional degrees, that does not seem like a lot to me. Someone with a degree and in the workforce for ten plus years making $55k is not impressive

It doesn't seem like a lot to me either. But they made the choice to become teachers -in this life choices and actions have consequences. If they wanted to earn more income they should have made different choices. They need to buy some mirrors - then look deeply into them so they'll know exactly whom to blame for their situation.

It doesn't seem like a lot to me either. But they made the choice to become teachers -in this life choices and actions have consequences. If they wanted to earn more income they should have made different choices. They need to buy some mirrors - then look deeply into them so they'll know exactly whom to blame for their situation.

But we get what we pay for. If we pay a salary that forces teachers to look in that mirror and say..."I can do better elsewhere" we will not get very good teachers

But we get what we pay for. If we pay a salary that forces teachers to look in that mirror and say..."I can do better elsewhere" we will not get very good teachers

Not really. If we had a free market for education -like using vouchers- teachers would be paid for performance. What we have now is a system with no competition or incentive to do anything more than the minimum requriments. Why be the best teacher in the world when you'll be paid exactly the same amount as the lazy piece of shit who phones it in? Of course exceptions exist and we've all heard about the occasional public school teacher that is brilliant, committed, and talented. But they are all too rare.....That's human nature and the reason that all socialist types of systems ultimately fail.

Forum List

Back