how much do electric cars cost to fill compared with buying gas?

Stupid people only look at the effects of vehicles on the economy and environment via how much it costs to fuel the damned things.

Intelligent people look at the effects of vehicles on the economy and environment via what toxic materials are used, what waste production there is, and how much toxins result in the use and destruction of said vehicles.

Batteries and their production are a hell of a lot worse and more toxic for the environment and economy than burning fuel.
Total bullshit. The batteries are recyclable. As we transition to renewable generation, it will cost even less to fuel an EV. If you consider the external costs of ICE's they are far more expensive than EV's. Asthma, and other lung ailments are directly related to the burning of fossil fuel. The environmental degradation from mining coal far exceeds that from mining lithium. Same for mining and refining petroleum.

Total bullshit. The batteries are recyclable. As we transition to renewable generation, it will cost even less to fuel an EV. If you consider the external costs of ICE's they are far more expensive than EV's. Asthma, and other lung ailments are directly related to the burning of fossil fuel. The environmental degradation from mining coal far exceeds that from mining lithium. Same for mining and refining petroleum.
:cuckoo:

Who believes the Feds won't jack up taxes at the electric outlet? Does anyone
believe that with the losses of state and federal taxes at the gas pump that they
won't go looking for a new source of revenue via electric charging of vehicles?
:laughing0301:
Add a mileage tax.

Easy

"According to Li-Cycle, one of the larger companies created in recent years to extract metals from old batteries, the Li-ion battery recycling market in North America is set to grow from $257 million in 2020 to almost $1.8 billion by 2025. Trendlines show the number of electric vehicles, with battery packs that will need replacing eventually, on the rise. Of the 286.9 million vehicles on the road in the U.S. in 2020, 1.3 million were battery-electric vehicles and President Biden has a stated goal for half of the 17 million cars sold in the U.S. annually to be electric by 2030."

While he's charging I'm still driving.
You know, most of us do not drive over about 40 miles a day. Aside from a trip once in a while, fueling an EV is hardly a problem for most of us. And when on a trip, Tesla has a large network of superchargers at present, and is enlarging it on a daily basis.

If you're filling them two tanks on that F-150 everyday ... you're driving too much ... the only question is why you need a half-ton pick-up? ... I'm a carpenter, which requires me to haul sheets of plywood, not many, half-ton adds up in a hurry ... but there's also 500 pounds of tooling I use everyday ... the Toyota Tacoma (at 25 mpg) serves that need well enough ... it has a heater, and if you've ever owned a VW bus, you'll know why that's important to me ...

Neither you or I can fill the bed without overloading the rig ... but I have only one gas tank, and I fill it once a month whether I need to or not ...

Hybrids and EV's are great for a commuter vehicle ... 10 miles one-way with only a briefcase to haul ... keep the half-ton in the garage except to haul stuff and pull the trailer with ... however, if you still get your electricity from burning fossil fuels ... don't get an EV ... no point ...

Ford F-150 ... HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

If you're filling them two tanks on that F-150 everyday ... you're driving too much ... the only question is why you need a half-ton pick-up?

Who are you to determine how much someone else needs to drive in a day, or what sort of vehicle he needs to carry everything that he needs to take with him?

Whoever it is that you are addressing, surely his needs are different than yours. And my needs are different than his and different than yours.

For my part, as a construction worker, I may have to drive as much as 80 miles each way to a job site, in a vehicle that has capacity for all my tools, and once it gets there, is able to handle the bad terrain that is typical on many such sites. My present car, a compact sedan is barely adequate to carry me and all my tools, and it handles very badly on rough terrain. I have a Ford Bronco on order, due to arrive some time the middle of next year, which will probably cost more to run, but which will otherwise be much more appropriate to my needs.

Who are you to determine how much someone else needs to drive in a day, or what sort of vehicle he needs to carry everything that he needs to take with him?

Whoever it is that you are addressing, surely his needs are different than yours. And my needs are different than his and different than yours.

For my part, as a construction worker, I may have to drive as much as 80 miles each way to a job site, in a vehicle that has capacity for all my tools, and once it gets there, is able to handle the bad terrain that is typical on many such sites. My present car, a compact sedan is barely adequate to carry me and all my tools, and it handles very badly on rough terrain. I have a Ford Bronco on order, due to arrive some time the middle of next year, which will probably cost more to run, but which will otherwise be much more appropriate to my needs.

That's only 160 miles ... are you suggesting that two tanks of gasoline won't take you that far in a given day? ... I can get 400 miles with just one tank on the Tacoma ... and the load capacities are the same ... 15 sheets of 1/2" plywood and you're not even 1/3 full HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

The Tacoma is not better but the Toyota doesn't try to hide the fact it's a pussy rig glorified motorized wheelbarrow ...

An EV is a horrible idea for you ... why are you even debating this? ... but why not the F-350? ... the mileage ain't that much worse ...

That's only 160 miles ... are you suggesting that two tanks of gasoline won't take you that far in a given day? ... I can get 400 miles with just one tank on the Tacoma ... and the load capacities are the same ... 15 sheets of 1/2" plywood and you're not even 1/3 full HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ...

The Tacoma is not better but the Toyota doesn't try to hide the fact it's a pussy rig glorified motorized wheelbarrow ...

An EV is a horrible idea for you ... why are you even debating this? ... but why not the F-350? ... the mileage ain't that much worse ...

As I said, my needs are different than yours, and different from whoever you were addressing with the F150. I assume that he made a rational choice, that the F150 was the best vehicle for your needs. Apparently, you're happy with a piece of Japanese trash as the best choice for your needs. Neither of those are a good choice for my needs.

I don't need to carry anything as big as sheets of plywood, but I do need a secure, closed space in which to carry my valuable tools. A pickup truck of some sort (obviously, a Ford (the only remaining true great American vehicle manufacturer after Chrysler sold out to FIAT and General Motors was torn down and rebuilt Советских-style by the government), and not some Japanese garbage), with a securely-attached shell might be an acceptable solution, but nowhere near the best for me.

An SUV is clearly the best choice for me, and since I need it to last a long time, I need one that is built in the old-school body-on-frame manner, and not the weaker, newfangled monocoque style. That pretty much leaves me with two viable choices among Ford's current offerings: The Bronco or the Expedition.

As I said, my needs are different than yours, and different from whoever you were addressing with the F150. I assume that he made a rational choice, that the F150 was the best vehicle for your needs. Apparently, you're happy with a piece of Japanese trash as the best choice for your needs. Neither of those are a good choice for my needs.

I don't need to carry anything as big as sheets of plywood, but I do need a secure, closed space in which to carry my valuable tools. A pickup truck of some sort (obviously, a Ford (the only remaining true great American vehicle manufacturer after Chrysler sold out to FIAT and General Motors was torn down and rebuilt Советских-style by the government), and not some Japanese garbage), with a securely-attached shell might be an acceptable solution, but nowhere near the best for me.

An SUV is clearly the best choice for me, and since I need it to last a long time, I need one that is built in the old-school body-on-frame manner, and not the weaker, newfangled monocoque style. That pretty much leaves me with two viable choices among Ford's current offerings: The Bronco or the Expedition.

Toyota Tacomas sold in the USA are built in the USA ... San Antonio, Texas ... ever heard of the "chicken tariff" ... I guess not ...

You haven't explained why an SUV is better for you than an F-150 ... nor what manner of construction you're involved in that you never need to haul materials ... if your concern is NOT better gas mileage ...

I understand ... some things are better not described ... keep you secrets, I honestly don't want to know ...

You haven't explained why an SUV is better for you than an F-150 ... nor what manner of construction you're involved in that you never need to haul materials ... if your concern is NOT better gas mileage ...

Why should I? I know what I need to carry, and what I don't need to carry, and where and how I may need to carry it. I'm in the best position to judge what kind of vehicle is most suitable for this, and I certainly am not in any way accountable to you for my choices in the matter.

Why should I? I know what I need to carry, and what I don't need to carry, and where and how I may need to carry it. I'm in the best position to judge what kind of vehicle is most suitable for this, and I certainly am not in any way accountable to you for my choices in the matter.

Sounds like you're compensating for something ... big rig for no other purpose than to improve your self-image ... the only "need" here is to stroke your fragile ego ... you're afraid the little pick-up will expose you as the little girl you are ...

For me it's the Jag XJ-12 ... chick magnet ... and I need all the help I can get in that department ...

Forum List

Back