how much do electric cars cost to fill compared with buying gas?

My math is fine.

And I'm an electrician.

I know more than enough about the underlying principles involved, here, to clearly see how full of bullshit you are, as well as all the absurd claims that you keep mindlessly parroting.

As I said before, it's for very good reason that there is a well-established cliché about someone being as dumb as [old] rocks.
Old Rocks just parrot fashions the info out of car showroom brochures. In the UK, we call those gullible retards.

Teslas are nothing but glorified golf carts. No thank you, Old COCKS!!!!
LOL So glorified that the Tesla S and Tesla X production is sold out until August of next year. Tesla 3 production sold out until June of next year. Even if they achieve a production rate of 300,000 a year, it will be 2026 before they work through the pre-orders for the Cybertruck. In the meantime, the ICE vehicles will pile up on the dealers lots.

Old Rocks just parrot fashions the info out of car showroom brochures. In the UK, we call those gullible retards.
In the UK they are buying EV's at record rates;

Experts predict 2021 car registrations will finish just 1.9 per cent ahead of Covid-blighted 2020 but sales of battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles defy the trends laid down by conventional cars. By comparison, overall registrations of new cars fell for the fourth consecutive month in October – the weakest performance since October 1991.

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) accounted for 16,155 registrations equaling their 15.2 per cent market share in October, while plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEVs) registrations grew by 7.9 per cent to 8382 units.

The SMMT is predicting BEV registrations in 2021 will surpass all the numbers registered between 2010 and 2019, with about new 287,000 cars heading to showrooms.

According to the latest vehicle stats, the EV market is booming. Electric passenger car sales increased by 186% in 2020 and today there are an estimated 300,000 EVs on the road in the UK and 600,000 plug-in hybrids.

LOL

LOL "These chargers were installed last fall and have been free for use until now. Troy Moon, the sustainability coordinator for Portland, says people who charge their cars at these stations will have to pay 15 cents per kilowatt hour, which comes out to about $1.05 per hour.Jul 19, 2021"

"The city of Portland in Oregon, United States, has 432 public charging station ports (Level 2 and Level 3) within 15km. 93% of the ports are level 2 charging ports and 31% of the ports offer free charges for your electric car."

At that rate, a fill up on a 100 kw/hr battery that would take you 350 miles costs $15. An ICE getting 30 mpg adding 10 gallons will cost you $35, at least.
You didn't even read the article I posted.

Who believes the Feds won't jack up taxes at the electric outlet? Does anyone
believe that with the losses of state and federal taxes at the gas pump that they
won't go looking for a new source of revenue via electric charging of vehicles?
:laughing0301:
road taxes as well. it will be in their bill for license plates.

So, at 15¢ per kilowatt, you're paying the equivalent of $5/gallon for gasoline.

I'm paying 5.2¢ / kW-hr .... that's $1.73 per gal gasoline ...

Columbia Gorge hydro and wind ... God blessed the Pacific Northwest ... it's only Man who put limits on housing here ... plenty of jobs, clean water, cheap electricity ... just you'll be homeless if you move here ... so stay away ...

As I've said all along ... if solar/wind/bio isn't cost effective for you, don't bother ... but don't condemn us where these are cheaper ... how much for a PBJ sandwich? ... one can get 40 miles each on a bicycle ... are you going to condemn the pectin industry now? ...

Last edited:
When the Model T came out, hay was much cheaper than gasoline.

Motor vehicles could do four times the work and work more hours a day. That 'cheap hay' didn't mean anything compared to gas prices. By the late 'teens higher compression engines demanded better quality gas and improved the gap by another factor of 4. In 1912 the average delivery range for a 5 ton truck was a 60 mile radius, Guess what the radius of a mule pulled wagon was.

Last edited:

Columbia Gorge hydro and wind ... God blessed the Pacific Northwest ... it's only Man who put limits on housing here ... plenty of jobs, clean water, cheap electricity ... just you'll be homeless if you move here ... so stay away ...

As I've said all along ... if solar/wind/bio isn't cost effective for you, don't bother ... but don't condemn us where these are cheaper ... how much for a PBJ sandwich? ... one can get 40 miles each on a bicycle ... are you going to condemn the pectin industry now? ...
Let’s strip all the taxes off of fuel and then retake the comparison

A rough estimate of the real cost is like that: if you subtract production costs such as burning coal from the cost of charging the battery. This is the cost of transporting electricity and infrastructure for servicing electric cars. I think that's more than half the cost.

A rough estimate of the real cost is like that: if you subtract production costs such as burning coal from the cost of charging the battery. This is the cost of transporting electricity and infrastructure for servicing electric cars. I think that's more than half the cost.
What’s the overall impact on households is unknown

What’s the overall impact on households is unknown
Unprofitable. All the costs are still indirectly borne by households.
In addition, taxpayers' money is spent on subsidies to companies producing electric cars, which could be spent on more useful things.

At 5.2 cents per kw/hr, that is $5.20 to completely charge a 100 kw/hr battery like in the Tesla S long range. That will get you about 400 miles. In a 25 mpg ICE that is about 16 gallons. At $4.00 a gallon, that is $64. That is quite a difference between $5.20 and $64. Actually, that is the equivalent of less than $0.33 per gallon.

At 5.2 cents per kw/hr, that is $5.20 to completely charge a 100 kw/hr battery like in the Tesla S long range. That will get you about 400 miles. In a 25 mpg ICE that is about 16 gallons. At $4.00 a gallon, that is $64. That is quite a difference between $5.20 and $64. Actually, that is the equivalent of less than $0.33 per gallon.

Electricity priced to refine bauxite ... why Boeing set up shop in the PNW ...

Bubba didn't finish Middle School ... and diesel pick-up trucks are loudest ...

Stupid people only look at the effects of vehicles on the economy and environment via how much it costs to fuel the damned things.

Intelligent people look at the effects of vehicles on the economy and environment via what toxic materials are used, what waste production there is, and how much toxins result in the use and destruction of said vehicles.

Batteries and their production are a hell of a lot worse and more toxic for the environment and economy than burning fuel.

Forum List

Back