how much do electric cars cost to fill compared with buying gas?

I hope you are correct about the range. Now what is the price, and performance? Tesla had many teething problems with there first cars, and even if Lucid is successful, they will also. That being said, I really hope that they can do all they claim at a price on the par with Tesla.

The Lucid Air comes in several packages offering a wide variety of range, performance and features at different price points competitive with Tesla. I think Lucid was just voted car of the year. I don't think they go in for that auto-driver crap which I have no interest in and if someone were to give me an EV tomorrow, I'd definitely pick the Lucid.

People are also buying cooking aprons with a caricature of Joe Biden printed on the front bent over farting himself.

But rather small productions against vastly more regular cars regularly sold, and at that, many EV car buyers are buying them naively, merely trusting that these things are the future, and going to work out well for them on the basis of thinking buying one is doing some sort of favor for the planet.

Must be a lot of wealthy people there willing to shell out $45,000+ USD (almost twice what my folks paid for their first house in the 1950s), for what amounts to a featureless striped-down mid-compact tin can with no styling to it at all with bare-bones batteries, distance, speed and driver features, considering that one can get a really nice, clean, reliable midsize ICE car with tons of miles still left on it with a big engine, great performance, lots of MPG, and literally jam-packed with rich comfort and user features for like--- 1/10th the price! :lmao:

I didn't say for HALF the price, I said for ONE-TENTH the price. :shok:
Since their production is increasing at the rate of more than 50% per year, by 2025 that will no longer be the case.

The Lucid Air comes in several packages offering a wide variety of range, performance and features at different price points competitive with Tesla. I think Lucid was just voted car of the year. I don't think they go in for that auto-driver crap which I have no interest in and if someone were to give me an EV tomorrow, I'd definitely pick the Lucid.
At present, I would pick a Tesla as they are a proven product. However, since I drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off, by that time there will be many EV's competitive with Tesla, and if Lucid survives with a good product it will get consideration.

LOL Apparently you cannot do simple math, Bobby baby. 2021 Tesla S long range gets about 100 miles per 28 kw/hr. That is less than $4.50 per 100 miles. A car getting 25 mpg will spend $13 to $17 dollars for those same 100 miles.

My math is fine.

And I'm an electrician.

I know more than enough about the underlying principles involved, here, to clearly see how full of bullshit you are, as well as all the absurd claims that you keep mindlessly parroting.

As I said before, it's for very good reason that there is a well-established cliché about someone being as dumb as [old] rocks.

LOL OK, you sell your car and it takes 6 months before someone buys it. You sell another car, and it sells in 3 days. Which one was more desired. And you dare call others dumb.

You have a car, and you keep it for ten or twenty years, until it is worn out, and the only buyer that will take it is a junkyard.

You have a car, that you keep for only six months, before you decide to sell it and buy something different.

Which car did you like more? Which did you think was the better car?

My math is fine.

And I'm an electrician.

I know more than enough about the underlying principles involved, here, to clearly see how full of bullshit you are, as well as all the absurd claims that you keep mindlessly parroting.

As I said before, it's for very good reason that there is a well-established cliché about someone being as dumb as [old] rocks.
An electrician, eh. I have known plenty of those. Some didn't know which end of a wrench to use. An old millwright talking. LOL Now anyone looking at the posts can see your math is totally faulty.

You have a car, and you keep it for ten or twenty years, until it is worn out, and the only buyer that will take it is a junkyard.

You have a car, that you keep for only six months, before you decide to sell it and buy something different.

Which car did you like more? Which did you think was the better car?
Some people trade cars in every two years or so. Most of the cars I have had I bought used. Most have 50K to 100K, and almost all of them I have driven for 100k to 150K. The first really good used car I purchase at 22 years of age was sold by someone that had gotten three major speeding tickets with it, and decided he could not afford to drive it anymore.

Build Back Better has a 900 dollar tax credit if you buy an electric bike

thought you should know

LOL "These chargers were installed last fall and have been free for use until now. Troy Moon, the sustainability coordinator for Portland, says people who charge their cars at these stations will have to pay 15 cents per kilowatt hour, which comes out to about $1.05 per hour.Jul 19, 2021"

"The city of Portland in Oregon, United States, has 432 public charging station ports (Level 2 and Level 3) within 15km. 93% of the ports are level 2 charging ports and 31% of the ports offer free charges for your electric car."

At that rate, a fill up on a 100 kw/hr battery that would take you 350 miles costs $15. An ICE getting 30 mpg adding 10 gallons will cost you $35, at least.
The guy in the article is a real life example, as in, in reality.

As i_ve said in the past, my brother works for a rail firm that got electric vans, he made the 70 to 75 miles to work, then back with less than 10% left. Then he had to plug in. If there had been a power cut through the night, he wouldn't be able to get to work. If he couldn't plug in at home, he wouldn't be able to plug into a charge point for miles, and then at a premium rate. Suffice to say, the company he works for went back to diesel.

So quote any crap you want, but just try going by reality.

The real reason why you don't own an EV is because you can't afford one, and you know the charge cost and range are crap.

Old Rocks , can I suggest you hire/rent an EV for the weekend and go do some mileage away, using public charge points. Then return two days later. You have to make sure you run out of mileage per day. Then list your findings, especially cost to recharge.

If you wish, simulate that there was a power cut through the night, IE. don't charge one night on a near flat battery, then list your findings, but you MUST make sure you get to the next motel.

When you hire a vehicle, could you make sure it's really cold and you need to use some heaters, and could you also tow a caravan or trailer.

I would like to see reality kick in with you.

At that rate, a fill up on a 100 kw/hr battery that would take you 350 miles costs $15. An ICE getting 30 mpg adding 10 gallons will cost you $35, at least.

Still better to pay $4500 for a nice used ICE car and shell out $35 for gas than to get an EV "tank" for only $15, but have to shell out $45,000 for the car.

electric cars are a good thing

The Rav 4 starts at $26,350. The Mach E starts at $42,895. Who do these people think they're fooling with this bullshit comparison??

LOL

1637610717432.png

1637610755577.png

An electrician, eh. I have known plenty of those. Some didn't know which end of a wrench to use.

Highly doubtful. I've known many electricians and spent much of my life in the electric/electronic field mostly in an engineering capacity and I can't say I've ever met a single electrician who didn't know one end of a wrench from the other. Electrical work requires both good manual skills as well as a pretty good grasp of mathematics.

Old Rocks , can I suggest you hire/rent an EV for the weekend and go do some mileage away, using public charge points. Then return two days later. You have to make sure you run out of mileage per day. Then list your findings, especially cost to recharge.

If you wish, simulate that there was a power cut through the night, IE. don't charge one night on a near flat battery, then list your findings, but you MUST make sure you get to the next motel.

When you hire a vehicle, could you make sure it's really cold and you need to use some heaters, and could you also tow a caravan or trailer.

I would like to see reality kick in with you.
Now why the hell should I do that when there are Tesla superchargers readily available?

Highly doubtful. I've known many electricians and spent much of my life in the electric/electronic field mostly in an engineering capacity and I can't say I've ever met a single electrician who didn't know one end of a wrench from the other. Electrical work requires both good manual skills as well as a pretty good grasp of mathematics.
Tooby, old boy, you probably haven't worked with nearly as many electricians as I have. The last place I worked, in a steel mill, when answering a whistle, a millwright and an electrician would go out together. One particular electrician and I would answer a trouble call, and arriving on the scene, he would say, " A rotating shaft, it's mechanical", and I would say, " No, there are wires going to it, has to be electrical failure". Then we would work together to find the source of the trouble and repair it. Lots of jokes between the two crafts.

So will I. My present car is about 20 years old and has about another 10-20 years life left in it.

So in 2035 when I definitely need a new car, I will no doubt buy a good, cheap, used EV, that is, if I'm still even alive! :21:
My big van is 31 years old, 160K+ miles, and the minivan is 18 years old, 172K+ miles. By next summer this Covid thing should be over, and I will start stacking up miles again, so I expect I will need to replace the mini by 2025. By 2035 I will be only 92, so I will probably be replacing that first EV by then.

Still better to pay $4500 for a nice used ICE car and shell out $35 for gas than to get an EV "tank" for only $15, but have to shell out $45,000 for the car.
That will change as the production of EV's ramp up. Particularly as the less costly EV's come out of China.

Forum List

Back