how much do electric cars cost to fill compared with buying gas?

Well, if you don't want the Covid vaccine, I wish you a happy ICU visit and a merry intubation.
I got vaccinated a long time ago and even did a thread on it here, idiot, but thanks for the well-wishes, just like a typical subhuman leftist. Surprised you just didn't wish me dead.

As far as trying to make everyone want an EV, hardly necessary since many Tesla models are sold out through mid-2022.
Cheers for Elon. But if I ever went EV, right now, I would much rather go the route of the Lucid Air with up to 996 miles per charge and 1000 hp.

2022-lucid-air-dream-edition-r-front-and-rear.jpg

mojave-1290x726.jpg
ab3770d0-f126-11ea-8ff5-02964f84abca.jpg

electric cars are a good thing

One outdated data point.

A few year ago, I happened to take notice of a public electric car charging station, and took a close look at it. I do not remember what it said about the rate, but I will soon be able to work backward from what I do remember having calculated, to get back to that. What I calculated, then, was that knowing that a gallon of gasoline has about 33.7 kilowatt-hours of energy that can be released by burning it, that power from the charging station was the equivalent of paying approximately ten dollars a gallon for gasoline.

So {$10 33.7KWH ÷} ≈ 29.674¢ per kilowatt-hour.

It was probably an even 30¢ per KWH.

That and more. EVs will have chips in them much like your smart electric meter that the Fed can control at will. Just wait until they want to get you on something, be it late property taxes, failure to pay alimony, going over the speed limit or a hundred other things, they will send a command disabling your car from operating. And that car will report everything on you to the government including where you go. They will justify that under the Patriot Act.

The Left are out to take away all personal privacy, autonomy and liberty.

A decade ago, I would have dismissed nearly all of that as batshit crazy conspiracy theory nonsense.

Given much of the batshit crazy reality that I have seen in the past decade, most of what you've written seems entirely plausible.

There's really little to stop such bullshit being in internal-combustion-engine-based vehicles as well.

One thing that helps reassure me that we're not quite there, yet, is that with my pending order for a 2022 Ford Bronco (estimate to arrive in mid 2022 according to my dealer's estimate), I've joined a forum specific to this vehicle, and there is some coverage as to what can be done using an aftermarket program to hack into it and change some various parameters of various degrees of importance and significance. I think that if such features as you describe were there, some of the more adept Forscan users would have found evidence of it, and probably found ways to disable it.

One measure of a cars desirability is how well it sells as a used car. And the Tesla 3 is the fastest selling car in the used car market in the US.

That seems like a very good measure of how undesirable a car is, that its owners are so quickly selling them into the used car market.

If a car is really good, and really desirable, then those who have them will be happy to hang on to them longer.

LOL "These chargers were installed last fall and have been free for use until now. Troy Moon, the sustainability coordinator for Portland, says people who charge their cars at these stations will have to pay 15 cents per kilowatt hour, which comes out to about $1.05 per hour.Jul 19, 2021"

So, at 15¢ per kilowatt, you're paying the equivalent of $5/gallon for gasoline. OK, that beats some of us in California, where even more bizarre and insane left wrong-wing policies that are a disease specific to this state, piled on top of the insane policies that the Biden has imposed that have pushed gasoline prices up much higher than they were thought of being under Trump; have pushed gas past the $5/gallon pointing some parts of this state.

15¢/KWH adding up to $1.05/hour means that you're only “pumping” 7KWH in an hour. That's slightly more than the equivalent of a fifth of a gallon. So, almost five hours to “pump” the equivalent of a gallon. At least a few days to “pump” the equivalent of a full tank of gasoline—to achieve what those of us with conventional ICE-based cars can do in only a few minutes.

Can you understand why, for a very large portion of American motorists, electric cars will never be practical, at least not without some massive improvements in battery and charging technology way beyond what we have any rational cause to anticipate any time in the foreseeable future? It's not so much the cost of energy in dollars, but the aspect of a car that has to spend so much more time being charged, compared to how much time it can spend being driven.

Last edited:
LOL, you really don't understand, do you? Care to guess how much it will be in 10 years? Not even close to $1.05 per hour.

Cost per hour isn't even really relevant.

Cost per kilowatt-hour is relevant as to the actual energy cost 33.7 kilowatt-hours being approximately equal to a gallon of gasoline.

And kilowatt-hours per hour, or simply kilowatts, is relevant in comparing the time to charge an electric car to the time to refuel an internal-combustion engine car; one kilowatt being equal to “pumping” gasoline at the rate of approximately 1⁄34 of a gallon per hour.

If we were to rate a standard gasoline pump in dollars per hour, I am sure the price would be very, very high indeed. But even with a very large fuel tank, nobody spends an hour to fill it up. Nobody spends more than a few minutes.

I guess this points to yet another problem with electric cars. When I go to a gas pump to fill my car, I'm only there fore a few minutes, and then I leave and the pump is free for the next customer.

If it takes hours, or even days, to fully charge a vehicle, then it will take a much larger number of charging stations to satisfy the same number of customers. Which lead me to another point about one of [Dumb As] Old Rocks' posts…

Last edited:
Right. :21: Just where I'd want to go right now with a $160,000 car out of charge needing to sit around hours plugged in. :lmao:

Yeah, just imagine how quick one of the rose city fascists would burn it to the ground.

LOL "These chargers were installed last fall and have been free for use until now. Troy Moon, the sustainability coordinator for Portland, says people who charge their cars at these stations will have to pay 15 cents per kilowatt hour, which comes out to about $1.05 per hour.Jul 19, 2021"

From that, I calculated above that the station charges at a rate of 7 kilowatt-hours.

At that rate, a fill up on a 100 kw/hr battery that would take you 350 miles costs $15. An ICE getting 30 mpg adding 10 gallons will cost you $35, at least.

So, at that rate, it would take {100 7 ÷} fourteen hours and 17½ minutes to fully charge that 100 KWH battery. And that battery is the equivalent of slightly less than three gallons of gasoline. I call solid digestive waste from a male bovine on a car going 350 miles on 100 kwh of electrical power. That's equivalent to getting about 116 miles per gallon. Yes, I admit that electrical motors are more efficient than ICEs, but they're not that much more efficient. Someone is playing games with the underlying assumptions to get that claim, that certainly won't bear out in the real world, even if they figured out some way to make it work out on paper. Maybe once in a while, under ideal conditions, it might get close to that, but surely, most of the time, in real-world conditions, it won't get anywhere close to that.

electric cars are a good thing

More good news on the EV Front:

Ford sees the popularity of the F150 electric being a harbinger of good things to come for the electric vehicle initiative. So much so they are re-imagining one of the bigger hurdles to people converting...the time it takes to charge the vehicle itself.

The article states that the massive amount of electricity flowing through it's newly designed charging cable causes a massive amount of heat to be radiated by the cable itself. To combat this, liquid is also pumped through the coating of the cable to cool the portion of the cable that carries the charge. It looks to be 2 years out.

There's really little to stop such bullshit being in internal-combustion-engine-based vehicles as well.
There is NOTHING stopping such bullshit and believe me, they want to do it.

One thing that helps reassure me that we're not quite there, yet, is that with my pending order for a 2022 Ford Bronco (estimate to arrive in mid 2022 according to my dealer's estimate), I've joined a forum specific to this vehicle, and there is some coverage as to what can be done using an aftermarket program to hack into it and change some various parameters of various degrees of importance and significance. I think that if such features as you describe were there, some of the more adept Forscan users would have found evidence of it, and probably found ways to disable it.
Remember that as of about 1990, most all vehicles now have a black box in them collecting data on everything you do, for who? LEO and insurance companies. One of the things that drove me out of consumer electronic design years ago was the increasing insistence of putting chips in everything which spy on the user and report to a third party. Believe me, they are trying to reel in customers to support the EV market right now; once they have the consumer roped in, they will find a reason to insert these spy and control chips and it will be a simple matter to record and access a record of all of your driving patterns and history as well as setting maximum speed allowed, disabling the power on, and other things. And it will be very easy to justify these things to the public.

Death of a thousand small cuts.

There is NOTHING stopping such bullshit and believe me, they want to do it.

Remember that as of about 1990, most all vehicles now have a black box in them collecting data on everything you do, for who? LEO and insurance companies. One of the things that drove me out of consumer electronic design years ago was the increasing insistence of putting chips in everything which spy on the user and report to a third party. Believe me, they are trying to reel in customers to support the EV market right now; once they have the consumer roped in, they will find a reason to insert these spy and control chips and it will be a simple matter to record and access a record of all of your driving patterns and history as well as setting maximum speed allowed, disabling the power on, and other things. And it will be very easy to justify these things to the public.

Death of a thousand small cuts.
Exactly what is it about gasoline powered vehicles that prevents those things from happening anyway?

I got vaccinated a long time ago and even did a thread on it here, idiot, but thanks for the well-wishes, just like a typical subhuman leftist. Surprised you just didn't wish me dead.

Cheers for Elon. But if I ever went EV, right now, I would much rather go the route of the Lucid Air with up to 996 miles per charge and 1000 hp.

View attachment 566671
View attachment 566672View attachment 566673
I hope you are correct about the range. Now what is the price, and performance? Tesla had many teething problems with there first cars, and even if Lucid is successful, they will also. That being said, I really hope that they can do all they claim at a price on the par with Tesla.

From that, I calculated above that the station charges at a rate of 7 kilowatt-hours.

So, at that rate, it would take {100 7 ÷} fourteen hours and 17½ minutes to fully charge that 100 KWH battery. And that battery is the equivalent of slightly less than three gallons of gasoline. I call solid digestive waste from a male bovine on a car going 350 miles on 100 kwh of electrical power. That's equivalent to getting about 116 miles per gallon. Yes, I admit that electrical motors are more efficient than ICEs, but they're not that much more efficient. Someone is playing games with the underlying assumptions to get that claim, that certainly won't bear out in the real world, even if they figured out some way to make it work out on paper. Maybe once in a while, under ideal conditions, it might get close to that, but surely, most of the time, in real-world conditions, it won't get anywhere close to that.
1637521757306.png

1637521898828.png

So, at 15¢ per kilowatt, you're paying the equivalent of $5/gallon for gasoline. OK, that beats some of us in California, where even more bizarre and insane left wrong-wing policies that are a disease specific to this state, piled on top of the insane policies that the Biden has imposed that have pushed gasoline prices up much higher than they were thought of being under Trump; have pushed gas past the $5/gallon pointing some parts of this state.

15¢/KWH adding up to $1.05/hour means that you're only “pumping” 7KWH in an hour. That's slightly more than the equivalent of a fifth of a gallon. So, almost five hours to “pump” the equivalent of a gallon. At least a few days to “pump” the equivalent of a full tank of gasoline—to achieve what those of us with conventional ICE-based cars can do in only a few minutes.

Can you understand why, for a very large portion of American motorists, electric cars will never be practical, at least not without some massive improvements in battery and charging technology way beyond what we have any rational cause to anticipate any time in the foreseeable future? It's not so much the cost of energy in dollars, but the aspect of a car that has to spend so much more time being charged, compared to how much time it can spend being driven.
LOL Apparently you cannot do simple math, Bobby baby. 2021 Tesla S long range gets about 100 miles per 28 kw/hr. That is less than $4.50 per 100 miles. A car getting 25 mpg will spend $13 to $17 dollars for those same 100 miles.

That seems like a very good measure of how undesirable a car is, that its owners are so quickly selling them into the used car market.

If a car is really good, and really desirable, then those who have them will be happy to hang on to them longer.
LOL OK, you sell your car and it takes 6 months before someone buys it. You sell another car, and it sells in 3 days. Which one was more desired. And you dare call others dumb.

Forum List

Back