How many years would it take to mine enough lithium to make enough batteries to replace all of the internal combustion engines in the world?

To recap... The current rate of mining lithium is 100,000 metric tons per year. The amount of lithium needed to replace all internal combustion engines is 17,712,640 metric tons. So the number of years to mine enough lithium to replace all internal combustion engines is 177 years (17,712,640 metric tons divided by 100,000 metric tons per year).

Any questions?

I can't believe it took me this long to run you off. I must be slipping.

You haven't run me off despite your non-stop trolling and creepy behavior. I was talking in terms of the world. The world is moving on. You are the past.

I've forgotten more technology in my 37 years as a practicing engineer than you ever knew.

It's one thing to be an engineer. It's quite another to move the technology forward. I have little doubt you were fine sitting the rigs. Doesn't mean you have a clue how technology develops.

I think my only point is that it takes 8 cubic miles of water and 17 trillion kg of lithium every 7 to 10 years to replace our present fossil fuel use in internal combustion engines which is 177 times more lithium than they mined in 2021.

You really should learn the history of petroleum as an example. Prior to the 1850's petroleum was literally dug out of the ground. Then they developed wells and pumping technology. NOT OVERNIGHT. That's the part you don't seem to understand.

And even then it took a LONG TIME to figure out how to isolate the cut of the raw crude that would be useful in automobiles. And do you think they just went DIRECTLY to catalytic cracking? No that took until 1937.

I won't stress your limited chemistry knowledge but how "economical" do you think cracking petroleum was before catalysis?

For someone who claims all this technical knowledge you seem to have no real ability to apply beyond whatever specific issue you had to deal with on your particular wells.

Like I said, you don't have sufficient view of the technology or even of the history of your own field to make any meaningful comments here.

You are stuck in the past and apparently you always will be.

To recap... The current rate of mining lithium is 100,000 metric tons per year. The amount of lithium needed to replace all internal combustion engines is 17,712,640 metric tons. So the number of years to mine enough lithium to replace all internal combustion engines is 177 years (17,712,640 metric tons divided by 100,000 metric tons per year).

Any questions?

What a STUPID concept you propose. You have hypothesized the wholesale replacement of an old technology instantaneously.

It's like you have been asleep the last 50 or so years.

What a moron.

What a STUPID concept you propose. You have hypothesized the wholesale replacement of an old technology instantaneously.

What a moron.
Well a 177 years is sure past what the LIBS claim as the timeline for the Earth being destroyed by combustible engines.

You haven't run me off despite your non-stop trolling and creepy behavior. I was talking in terms of the world. The world is moving on. You are the past. It's one thing to be an engineer. It's quite another to move the technology forward. I have little doubt you were fine sitting the rigs. Doesn't mean you have a clue how technology develops. You really should learn the history of petroleum as an example. Prior to the 1850's petroleum was literally dug out of the ground. Then they developed wells and pumping technology. NOT OVERNIGHT. That's the part you don't seem to understand. And even then it took a LONG TIME to figure out how to isolate the cut of the raw crude that would be useful in automobiles. And do you think they just went DIRECTLY to catalytic cracking? No that took until 1937. I won't stress your limited chemistry knowledge but how "economical" do you think cracking petroleum was before catalysis? For someone who claims all this technical knowledge you seem to have no real ability to apply beyond whatever specific issue you had to deal with on your particular wells. Like I said, you don't have sufficient view of the technology or even of the history of your own field to make any meaningful comments here. You are stuck in the past and apparently you always will be.
That's nice. That post didn't get you any closer to 18 trillion kg of lithium every 7 years.

What a moron.
No actually you need to get to that level and then reproduce it every 7 to 10 years. It's unachievable. It'll never happen.

Well a 177 years is sure past what the LIBS claim as the timeline for the Earth being destroyed by combustible engines.

It's also a bullshit estimate. It assumes we will wholesale replace all ICE vehicles immediately. It's what people who don't want to have an honest discussion about real-world technological development do.

Yeah, replacing EVERY SINGLE CAR CURRENTLY ON THE ROAD will require a large amount of Li.

But it's completely irrational and total BS to assume that technology will not advance in any meaningful way between now and when that happens.

That's why I keep bringing up the inconvenient truth of how ICE vehicles came to the fore. They took a long time to supplant all the horses.

The real problem also is that some folks don't like science and don't believe science when it says something. So they can "ignore" what the professionals say is a serious issue that needs to be addressed quickly.

That's nice. That post didn't get you any closer to 18 trillion kg of lithium every 7 years.

You don't know much about batteries do you? You think Li is the only game in town?

I LOVE how you simply ignored the post which showed the dramatic increase in energy density for Li batteries. It's thrilling to see morons with severe confirmation bias try to tell people how technology operates.

LOL.

You seem to be wrong as usual.
But your trolling game is on point.
reeling in PV system.gif

You don't know much about batteries do you? You think Li is the only game in town?

I LOVE how you simply ignored the post which showed the dramatic increase in energy density for Li batteries. It's thrilling to see morons with severe confirmation bias try to tell people how technology operates.

LOL.
They all suffer the same fate. Low energy density. That's what makes replacing 65 million barrels of gasoline and diesel impossible. Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere. The climate isn't going to change anymore than it usually does. It's all politics.

If that's how you want to see it but that won't get you any closer to reaching your Utopian vision. It can't be done.

Hahahaha! I see what you did there. Perhaps you are playing a more subtle game of irony here.

An engineer who doesn't believe technology can advance. I am starting to get it now. I wish I would have realized you aren't being serious earlier.

They all suffer the same fate. Low energy density. That's what makes replacing 65 million barrels of gasoline and diesel impossible. Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere. The climate isn't going to change anymore than it usually does. It's all politics.

Like I said, I'm getting your joke now. LOL.

A lot of other folks might assume you are serious, but that's only because you are doing such a good job trying to sound like this.

Forum List

Back