How many weeks do Federal Civil Service Employees work a year.

A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays. That is 109 days off with pay, or almost 22 weeks out the year. I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby.

So much fail in this post so let's start at the beginning.

"A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays."

As another poster stated, you don't get both sick leave and maternity leave. The 13 days roll into the maternity leave.

And let's rationally think about this. If a women has been with the Federal Government for 15 years, they have likely passed the prime years for child birth. Many jobs with the federal government require or prefer bachelor degrees. So let's assume a woman graduates at the age of 22 and immediately starts working for the federal government (which is extremely rare). She would be 37 after 15 years of service. How many 37 year old women are starting to have kids? Not many.

"I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. "

Then collectively bargain for it. This is the most annoying thing about people. Instead of people saying "Wow, those are great benefits, we should all have those benefits" they say "I don't have those great benefits, they shouldn't either!" It's class warfare but it's a Civil War within the dying middle class that is perpetuating the "Race to the Bottom" that the rich want.

"Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby."

Most places (including the federal government) have paternity leave.

No place I know of give 12 weeks of paternity leave. 6 weeks, tops, and usually at reduced pay. If a 37 year old woman doesn't give birth, she still can get 12 paid weeks to take care of a sick relative, so that blows that argument.

I am salaried and don't belong to a Union, and wouldn't if I could. I have to work a certain number of days and pay taxes so Civil Service employees can get 20 weeks a year off with full pay. What really amuses me is the term used when there is a government shutdown or a snow alert. Non-Essential government employees get to stay at home with pay. If they are non-essential, why are they even employed.

I consider civil service employees overpaid part time employees with full time pay and benefits.

In case you are interested, I was one for three years and walked away from it in disgust.

More lies....no Civil Servant gets 20 weeks off a year with full pay

You are just making shit up now

At 30 years I received 7 weeks vacation + 60 hours of management time + one conference a year. AFTER 30 years.
I just gotta see a link on that one

Leave Information

"A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays."

As another poster stated, you don't get both sick leave and maternity leave. The 13 days roll into the maternity leave.

And let's rationally think about this. If a women has been with the Federal Government for 15 years, they have likely passed the prime years for child birth. Many jobs with the federal government require or prefer bachelor degrees. So let's assume a woman graduates at the age of 22 and immediately starts working for the federal government (which is extremely rare). She would be 37 after 15 years of service. How many 37 year old women are starting to have kids? Not many.

"I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. "

Then collectively bargain for it. This is the most annoying thing about people. Instead of people saying "Wow, those are great benefits, we should all have those benefits" they say "I don't have those great benefits, they shouldn't either!" It's class warfare but it's a Civil War within the dying middle class that is perpetuating the "Race to the Bottom" that the rich want.

"Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby."

No place I know of give 12 weeks of paternity leave. 6 weeks, tops, and usually at reduced pay. If a 37 year old woman doesn't give birth, she still can get 12 paid weeks to take care of a sick relative, so that blows that argument.

I am salaried and don't belong to a Union, and wouldn't if I could. I have to work a certain number of days and pay taxes so Civil Service employees can get 20 weeks a year off with full pay. What really amuses me is the term used when there is a government shutdown or a snow alert. Non-Essential government employees get to stay at home with pay. If they are non-essential, why are they even employed.

I consider civil service employees overpaid part time employees with full time pay and benefits.

In case you are interested, I was one for three years and walked away from it in disgust.

At 30 years I received 7 weeks vacation + 60 hours of management time + one conference a year. AFTER 30 years.

Leave Information

Note that is says unpaid leave for maternity

Leave Information

It does indeed.

Its always better to fact check these claims than to accept them on the word of a poster alone.

I too worked - briefly - in HR at a LE Agency. One major problem, supervisors who did not supervise. As a manager I made sure they did, and by supervising them, they learned supervision is an art, mostly carrot, but a bit of stick never hurt.

AG05 didn't mention FMLA, which is leave but unpaid.

All staff's sick leave was rolled over, and at retirement 240 hours would be applied to time in service if that much had been saved. Anymore would be lost.

Retirement was determined by years of service, times a factor of 3 (30 years x 3 = 90); so a person who worked 30 years would receive 90% of their final annual salary. If they didn't abuse their sick leave the factor would have been 30.50 x 3 to = 91.50% of their final year of compensation (the 3% reflects safety retirement, most civil service employees have a factor of 2 or 2.5 percent).

Hence, those who planned ahead understood the benefits of working in a defined benefit system. To bad CrusaderFrank wasn't smart enough and not is green with envy.

Under the Civil Service Retirement System, all unused sick leave was credited toward service. However, under the current Federal Employees Retirement System, no sick leave credit is given at retirement.

Your pensions were extremely generous. FERS has a Social Security component. CSRS does not. A CSRS employee may retire at age 55 if they have 30 years of service. That gives them a 56% pension. The pension increases 2% per year with each year of service.

FERS employees get 1% per year for each year of service. FERS get a match to their thrift plan. CSRS employees can contribute to the thrift plan but get no match.

Federal law enforcement pensions are more generous because they can retire with 20 years of service and have a forced mandatory age limit.

I am very happy I made the choice to have a Federal career because I have a wonderful retirement. I didn't choose a Federal career for the retirement benefits but now I am ecstatic.

Of course, I did have to eat a lot of shit.

I worked civil service for three years and quit. I envy you being able to eat a lot of shit since I was not able to handle the incompetence and gold bricking. I do not regret quitting for one minute since my 401K, IRA's and company pension exceed anything I would have got from civil service, and I didn't have to put up with the crap that I got at the civil service job.

Civil service pensions, for us long termers, are truly wonderful.

They won't be, for the new system (FERS) that started in 86.

But for us, nothing like that. My father worked for a Fortune 500 corporation and he didn't do anywhere near as well as we do. Nothing even close.

A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays. That is 109 days off with pay, or almost 22 weeks out the year. I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby.

The term is no longer "non-essential" which was a misnomer anyway. The standard used to be a lot looser but the Clinton people changed it to make it more strict so that when they shut down the government in their fight with Newt more people would be affected and POed. It hasn't been in anyone's best political interest to change it so there you have it.

The current definition is that the employees who have to report are required for the protection of life and property. That's most law enforcement (although not all) and the people who feed lab animals.

I too worked - briefly - in HR at a LE Agency. One major problem, supervisors who did not supervise. As a manager I made sure they did, and by supervising them, they learned supervision is an art, mostly carrot, but a bit of stick never hurt.

All staff's sick leave was rolled over, and at retirement 240 hours would be applied to time in service if that much had been saved. Anymore would be lost.

Retirement was determined by years of service, times a factor of 3 (30 years x 3 = 90); so a person who worked 30 years would receive 90% of their final annual salary. If they didn't abuse their sick leave the factor would have been 30.50 x 3 to = 91.50% of their final year of compensation (the 3% reflects safety retirement, most civil service employees have a factor of 2 or 2.5 percent).

Hence, those who planned ahead understood the benefits of working in a defined benefit system. To bad CrusaderFrank wasn't smart enough and not is green with envy.

Under the Civil Service Retirement System, all unused sick leave was credited toward service. However, under the current Federal Employees Retirement System, no sick leave credit is given at retirement.

Your pensions were extremely generous. FERS has a Social Security component. CSRS does not. A CSRS employee may retire at age 55 if they have 30 years of service. That gives them a 56% pension. The pension increases 2% per year with each year of service.

FERS employees get 1% per year for each year of service. FERS get a match to their thrift plan. CSRS employees can contribute to the thrift plan but get no match.

Federal law enforcement pensions are more generous because they can retire with 20 years of service and have a forced mandatory age limit.

I am very happy I made the choice to have a Federal career because I have a wonderful retirement. I didn't choose a Federal career for the retirement benefits but now I am ecstatic.

What I described is no longer the rule for new hires, and some changes were in the wind for those who expected what I received, thus a number left early and the brain drain commenced.

The Feds are experiencing an enormous brain drain. All of us oldies retired. Some because it was time, and others because the management and political leadership just suck. With the pay freeze, you made more retired. You at least got your cost of living.

It is a disaster but they won't admit it. Couple that with the fact that the Obama Administration has screwed up the recruitment and entry level hiring authorities and basically you get bad choices if you are even able to replace someone.
I am seeing better quality employees than at any time in my career. At one time we had to beg people to work for the government. They laughed at the salary and didn't consider the retirement system or job security to be such a big deal
But after being abused by the private sector and being laid off for no reason, they are begging for federal employment

Where do you work (type of agency is fine if you don't want to say) and do you work for an agency that is excepted service?

I worked civil service for three years and quit. I envy you being able to eat a lot of shit since I was not able to handle the incompetence and gold bricking. I do not regret quitting for one minute since my 401K, IRA's and company pension exceed anything I would have got from civil service, and I didn't have to put up with the crap that I got at the civil service job.

Civil service pensions, for us long termers, are truly wonderful.

They won't be, for the new system (FERS) that started in 86.

But for us, nothing like that. My father worked for a Fortune 500 corporation and he didn't do anywhere near as well as we do. Nothing even close.
People used to laugh at me for working for the government

Now they envy that pension

What I described is no longer the rule for new hires, and some changes were in the wind for those who expected what I received, thus a number left early and the brain drain commenced.

The Feds are experiencing an enormous brain drain. All of us oldies retired. Some because it was time, and others because the management and political leadership just suck. With the pay freeze, you made more retired. You at least got your cost of living.

It is a disaster but they won't admit it. Couple that with the fact that the Obama Administration has screwed up the recruitment and entry level hiring authorities and basically you get bad choices if you are even able to replace someone.
I am seeing better quality employees than at any time in my career. At one time we had to beg people to work for the government. They laughed at the salary and didn't consider the retirement system or job security to be such a big deal
But after being abused by the private sector and being laid off for no reason, they are begging for federal employment

Where do you work (type of agency is fine if you don't want to say) and do you work for an agency that is excepted service?

Retired DoD

Now working as a consultant.....oh......the good life

Leave Information

Employees may use a combination (or at least this WAS the rule) of their accrued annual and sick leave and if they qualify, they can be advanced sick leave of 240 hours. That's paid. Plus their FMLA unpaid entitlement.

Why?

Simply go to anyone of the nine bay area counties HR page and read the salary and benefits for LE managers. FYI, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, Napa, Sonoma or Marin.

Retired DoD

I'm not surprised you are getting good employees in the consulting business. OPM has ruined the recruiting for regular feds.

But I'm done. I have had it. I don't need to work and I'm happy just being a housewife these days.

After 15 years of service, they get 26 days a year. And they only get the extra 60 days if they have a baby.

Or if they have to stay home to take care of a sick relative.

After 15 years of service, they get 26 days a year. And they only get the extra 60 days if they have a baby.

Correct.

Caring for a sick child or relative is an acceptable use of sick leave

What is your point?

Retired DoD

I'm not surprised you are getting good employees in the consulting business. OPM has ruined the recruiting for regular feds.

But I'm done. I have had it. I don't need to work and I'm happy just being a housewife these days.
After over 35 years, I am seeing better quality engineers in the federal government than ever before. They get tired of the crappy treatment in the private sector

But its unpaid.

But its unpaid.

I will ask AmericanGirl05, but I thought I read it was paid leave.

Retired DoD

After over 35 years, I am seeing better quality engineers in the federal government than ever before. They get tired of the crappy treatment in the private sector

Engineers have a positive educational requirement. It's hard, these days, in fact, impossible, to recruit quality people for professional jobs that are managerial or administrative or even regulators.

But its unpaid.

I posted a link to federal employee benefits for of the federal employees of the 7th circuit court. It stated it was unpaid. That's assuming that the benefits for the 7th circuit are typical of federal employees.

But its unpaid.

It can be paid, if the employee has sufficient annual and sick leave and qualifies for the advanced sick leave.

The only way the unpaid comes into play is if the employee can't qualify for the above.

Staying home for a sick relative is the same, If you have the leave, you are paid for that time.

Now, Obama wants to change this and make the unpaid, paid up to a point.

Forum List

Back