How many weeks do Federal Civil Service Employees work a year.

A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays. That is 109 days off with pay, or almost 22 weeks out the year. I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby.

After 15 years of service, they get 26 days a year. And they only get the extra 60 days if they have a baby.

Or if they have to stay home to take care of a sick relative.

But its unpaid.

I will ask AmericanGirl05, but I thought I read it was paid leave.

I posted a link to federal employee benefits for of the federal employees of the 7th circuit court. It stated it was unpaid. That's assuming that the benefits for the 7th circuit are typical of federal employees.

It's only unpaid if the employee doesn't have sick or annual leave to cover it.

After 15 years of service, they get 26 days a year. And they only get the extra 60 days if they have a baby.

But its unpaid.

I posted a link to federal employee benefits for of the federal employees of the 7th circuit court. It stated it was unpaid. That's assuming that the benefits for the 7th circuit are typical of federal employees.

It's only unpaid if the employee doesn't have sick or annual leave to cover it.

Then you're burning vacation does and sick days. The 60 days of unpaid leave doesn't create any paid days off. It simply creates a 60 days time period you can be away with out professional consequence or sanction.

Is that correct?

Last edited:
A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays. That is 109 days off with pay, or almost 22 weeks out the year. I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby.

But its unpaid.

It can be paid, if the employee has sufficient annual and sick leave and qualifies for the advanced sick leave.

The only way the unpaid comes into play is if the employee can't qualify for the above.

Staying home for a sick relative is the same, If you have the leave, you are paid for that time.

Now, Obama wants to change this and make the unpaid, paid up to a point.

"The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:

see more at : Family and Medical Leave Act - Wage and Hour Division WHD - U.S. Department of Labor

Why are these people against women having time off to give birth???

In the real world many companies give a reasonable 6 weeks time off with either full or partial pay or birth. No one I know of is against time off for a woman giving birth. Why do you ask?

The OP is railing the federal government for give time off with pay for pregnant women.

The OP is railing the federal government for only required 30 weeks a year for 52 weeks a year pay, and twice as many weeks off for child birth or care for a sick relative as the industry standard is.
when i took off to care for my folks.....it came out of my annual leave or sick leave but i had a limit on time....after that it was leave without pay....

So much fail in this post so let's start at the beginning.

"A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays."

As another poster stated, you don't get both sick leave and maternity leave. The 13 days roll into the maternity leave.

And let's rationally think about this. If a women has been with the Federal Government for 15 years, they have likely passed the prime years for child birth. Many jobs with the federal government require or prefer bachelor degrees. So let's assume a woman graduates at the age of 22 and immediately starts working for the federal government (which is extremely rare). She would be 37 after 15 years of service. How many 37 year old women are starting to have kids? Not many.

"I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. "

Then collectively bargain for it. This is the most annoying thing about people. Instead of people saying "Wow, those are great benefits, we should all have those benefits" they say "I don't have those great benefits, they shouldn't either!" It's class warfare but it's a Civil War within the dying middle class that is perpetuating the "Race to the Bottom" that the rich want.

"Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby."

Most places (including the federal government) have paternity leave.

No place I know of give 12 weeks of paternity leave. 6 weeks, tops, and usually at reduced pay. If a 37 year old woman doesn't give birth, she still can get 12 paid weeks to take care of a sick relative, so that blows that argument.

I am salaried and don't belong to a Union, and wouldn't if I could. I have to work a certain number of days and pay taxes so Civil Service employees can get 20 weeks a year off with full pay. What really amuses me is the term used when there is a government shutdown or a snow alert. Non-Essential government employees get to stay at home with pay. If they are non-essential, why are they even employed.

I consider civil service employees overpaid part time employees with full time pay and benefits.

In case you are interested, I was one for three years and walked away from it in disgust.

More lies....no Civil Servant gets 20 weeks off a year with full pay

You are just making shit up now

At 30 years I received 7 weeks vacation + 60 hours of management time + one conference a year. AFTER 30 years.
I just gotta see a link on that one
at 30 years with the PO i was getting 5 weeks vac time and possibly could have 2 months in the bank if i was one of them guys who never took any vacation time....

So much fail in this post so let's start at the beginning.

"A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays."

As another poster stated, you don't get both sick leave and maternity leave. The 13 days roll into the maternity leave.

And let's rationally think about this. If a women has been with the Federal Government for 15 years, they have likely passed the prime years for child birth. Many jobs with the federal government require or prefer bachelor degrees. So let's assume a woman graduates at the age of 22 and immediately starts working for the federal government (which is extremely rare). She would be 37 after 15 years of service. How many 37 year old women are starting to have kids? Not many.

"I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. "

Then collectively bargain for it. This is the most annoying thing about people. Instead of people saying "Wow, those are great benefits, we should all have those benefits" they say "I don't have those great benefits, they shouldn't either!" It's class warfare but it's a Civil War within the dying middle class that is perpetuating the "Race to the Bottom" that the rich want.

"Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby."

Most places (including the federal government) have paternity leave.

No place I know of give 12 weeks of paternity leave. 6 weeks, tops, and usually at reduced pay. If a 37 year old woman doesn't give birth, she still can get 12 paid weeks to take care of a sick relative, so that blows that argument.

I am salaried and don't belong to a Union, and wouldn't if I could. I have to work a certain number of days and pay taxes so Civil Service employees can get 20 weeks a year off with full pay. What really amuses me is the term used when there is a government shutdown or a snow alert. Non-Essential government employees get to stay at home with pay. If they are non-essential, why are they even employed.

I consider civil service employees overpaid part time employees with full time pay and benefits.

In case you are interested, I was one for three years and walked away from it in disgust.

At 30 years I received 7 weeks vacation + 60 hours of management time + one conference a year. AFTER 30 years.
at 30 years with the PO i was getting 5 weeks vac time and possibly could have 2 months in the bank if i was one of them guys who never took any vacation time....
Never saw a federal employee get more than 26 days. Carryover is different

60 hrs of mgt time? What the hell is that?

Working for the government is much like the movie "Office Space" - you just work when you feel like it. President George W. Bush was the master:

George W. Bush's vacation time (grand total)

487 days at Camp David
490 days at Crawford Ranch
43 days at Kennebunkport Compound

Total: 1020 days, more than 1/3rd of his presidency. Bush set the record for most vacation time taken by president.

Carter took 79 days in 4 years.
Clinton took 152 days in 8 years.

Reagan took 335 days in 8 years.
Bush Sr. took 543 days in 4 years!

So much for the mythological Republican hard worth ethic.

The Out-of-Towner: While Bush vacationed, 9/11 warnings went unheard

George W. Bush is the vacation king of all presidents. He spent 2.8 years out of 8 years on vacation.

Managers did not get OT, instead we got 60 hours to use as we pleased.

Which agency?

yep in the PO we used to get 5 weeks annual after 15 years....

Working for the government is much like the movie "Office Space" - you just work when you feel like it. President George W. Bush was the master:

487 days at Camp David
490 days at Crawford Ranch
43 days at Kennebunkport Compound

Total: 1020 days, more than 1/3rd of his presidency. Bush set the record for most vacation time taken by president.

Carter took 79 days in 4 years.
Clinton took 152 days in 8 years.

Reagan took 335 days in 8 years.
Bush Sr. took 543 days in 4 years!

So much for the mythological Republican hard worth ethic.

The Out-of-Towner: While Bush vacationed, 9/11 warnings went unheard

George W. Bush is the vacation king of all presidents. He spent 2.8 years out of 8 years on vacation.
you just work when you feel like it?.....come on down to the PO Lakota and be a carrier....your attitude will change about that,i guarantee you...

same in the PO.....but they gave them bonuses....and some of them did not deserve it....

Which agency?

Too personal.

In the real world many companies give a reasonable 6 weeks time off with either full or partial pay or birth. No one I know of is against time off for a woman giving birth. Why do you ask?

The OP is railing the federal government for give time off with pay for pregnant women.

The OP is railing the federal government for only required 30 weeks a year for 52 weeks a year pay, and twice as many weeks off for child birth or care for a sick relative as the industry standard is.
when i took off to care for my folks.....it came out of my annual leave or sick leave but i had a limit on time....after that it was leave without pay....

I will admit I messed up in thinking it was in addition to annual or sick leave. I think there were provisions to advance leave when you didn't have any, and when I worked civil service there was a lot of abuse. Did you ever hear of basket leave?

I will admit I messed up in thinking it was in addition to annual or sick leave. I think there were provisions to advance leave when you didn't have any, and when I worked civil service there was a lot of abuse. Did you ever hear of basket leave?
no i havent....but each part of the country has their own terms for things though,so i may know it by another name....for example when a reserve helps a carrier out here and takes an hour off his route to carry, we call it a "cut"....back east its called a "swing"....

You can be advanced up to one years sick leave. If you don't pay back, it comes out of your final check or retirement.
Other employees are also allowed to donate their annual leave for you to use as sick leave. That is not paid back

Last edited:

You can be advanced up to one years sick leave. If you don't pay back, it comes out of your final check or retirement.
Other employees are also allowed to donate their annual leave for you to use as sick leave. That is no paid back

One minor exception -- if you retire on disability, you don't have to pay back any negative sick leave.

Any private sector job that does not provide paid sick leave and paid vacation is a scum bucket of a company who doesn't deserve good employees. Frankly I could care less if my tax dollars help some working family with some time off to raise their newborns. That viewpoint is anti family. Jeez if everything has to come down to the almighty dollar this country is in huge trouble.Other countries are far ahead of us in this respect.

Forum List

Back