How many weeks do Federal Civil Service Employees work a year.

How many weeks do federal employees work a year?

For an employee with over 15 years experience

26 pay periods of 10 days= 260 days
Take away 26 vacation days, 10 holiday= 224 days
Works out to 224 days or 45 weeks

Don't forget telework, where you get to sit at home and get paid.

That is just poor supervision

Where I am, there are very strict rules for telework and most positions do not qualify.

It's all poor supervision these days. The supervisors are so afraid of either the unions or EEO complaints that they cave. In this case, the employee was an active member of the union and had a friendship with the union president.

What do they care? The supervisor still gets the same pay, regardless.

On telework, it used to be very limited and supervisor's discretion. But Obama forced agencies to allow virtually everyone to telework. To keep someone from being eligible to telework, the supervisor had to provide mega justification and most were denied.

To tell you how they valued telework -- when Snowmageddon occurred back in 2010 -- DC had like 2 feet of snow in three days or something like that -- the Federal Government was of course closed due to weather. However, I had to go into the office to complete preparations for the travel I was scheduled for the next week. It was not work I could do at home and for the trip to be successful, I had to go in. I braved it. It was just me and the guards.

After we were all back at work, I was in a meeting with the other HR policy leads (at the time, my job was HR policy lead for a bureau level). We were asked to provide examples of people who teleworked during Snowmageddon for OPM to use as examples and we were encouraged to recognize those people.

I went ballistic. I said I had busted my ass to come in and work and I wanted recognition since I had definitely gone above and beyond but I was told, no, they would only recognize the teleworkers.

Yeah, sounds about right!

How many weeks do federal employees work a year?

For an employee with over 15 years experience

26 pay periods of 10 days= 260 days
Take away 26 vacation days, 10 holiday= 224 days
Works out to 224 days or 45 weeks

Don't forget telework, where you get to sit at home and get paid.

That is just poor supervision

Where I am, there are very strict rules for telework and most positions do not qualify.

It's all poor supervision these days. The supervisors are so afraid of either the unions or EEO complaints that they cave. In this case, the employee was an active member of the union and had a friendship with the union president.

What do they care? The supervisor still gets the same pay, regardless.

On telework, it used to be very limited and supervisor's discretion. But Obama forced agencies to allow virtually everyone to telework. To keep someone from being eligible to telework, the supervisor had to provide mega justification and most were denied.

To tell you how they valued telework -- when Snowmageddon occurred back in 2010 -- DC had like 2 feet of snow in three days or something like that -- the Federal Government was of course closed due to weather. However, I had to go into the office to complete preparations for the travel I was scheduled for the next week. It was not work I could do at home and for the trip to be successful, I had to go in. I braved it. It was just me and the guards.

After we were all back at work, I was in a meeting with the other HR policy leads (at the time, my job was HR policy lead for a bureau level). We were asked to provide examples of people who teleworked during Snowmageddon for OPM to use as examples and we were encouraged to recognize those people.

I went ballistic. I said I had busted my ass to come in and work and I wanted recognition since I had definitely gone above and beyond but I was told, no, they would only recognize the teleworkers.

Yeah, sounds about right!

Why do the supervisors care about union complaints and EEO complaints?

Because their bonuses can be affected. In the case of the Senior Executive Service, they are specifically rated on their EEO record. SES bonuses, as you could see from the GSA and IRS controversies, are extremely generous, geometrically disproportionate to the remainder of the Federal civil service, including the GS-15s one level below them.

In case of GS-15 and GS-14 supervisors, it can affect not just their bonus but any ability to advance beyond their current position. They might even be reassigned out of supervision involuntarily.

And it doesn't matter whether the complaints are well founded or not. Their mere existence is enough.

I had an employee accuse me of being racist because instead of reporting at her stated duty hour of 6:30 AM, she was regularly seen not showing up till 9:30 AM (of course, she still left at 2:30 PM and didn't take leave), and, at MY supervisor's request, simply inquired as to whether she needed to change her duty hours.

No, I mean why does he care if they guy "teleworks" by doing nothing...he still gets paid. (Actually, it seems like he has an INCENTIVE to let them do that.)

No, I mean why does he care if they guy "teleworks" by doing nothing...he still gets paid. (Actually, it seems like he has an INCENTIVE to let them do that.)

The reason the Obama Administration wanted to highlight the people who teleworked was because they, like people who have never had a real job or managed people, wanted to push this benighted and ridiculous initiative.

I figured something like that...but my point is a SUPERVISOR now has an INCENTIVE to let them do that. Basically: he has an incentive to reward fraud!

I figured something like that...but my point is a SUPERVISOR now has an INCENTIVE to let them do that. Basically: he has an incentive to reward fraud!

Oh, yeah.

Not to mention the fact that work is not getting done. The supervisor is responsible for the work but is powerless to get it done.

Why are these people against women having time off to give birth???

Conservatives....Get back to work bitch
Have babies on your own time
Nope, not an honest bone in your entire body is there...

Dude..seriously...you've been here five years, and you are just NOW realizing that?!

Do you need more coffee, perhaps?

Where have Republicans supported either sick leave or paid maternity leave?

Just look at how they attacked Obama for suggesting it

Any private sector job that does not provide paid sick leave and paid vacation is a scum bucket of a company who doesn't deserve good employees. Frankly I could care less if my tax dollars help some working family with some time off to raise their newborns. That viewpoint is anti family. Jeez if everything has to come down to the almighty dollar this country is in huge trouble.Other countries are far ahead of us in this respect.

May I suggest that you move to one of those countries that are far ahead of us.

Any private sector job that does not provide paid sick leave and paid vacation is a scum bucket of a company who doesn't deserve good employees. Frankly I could care less if my tax dollars help some working family with some time off to raise their newborns. That viewpoint is anti family. Jeez if everything has to come down to the almighty dollar this country is in huge trouble.Other countries are far ahead of us in this respect.

May I suggest that you move to one of those countries that are far ahead of us.

Better yet, we can encourage our country to have more concern for our workers

The rest of the world realizes that workers have lives

Forum List

Back