How many weeks do Federal Civil Service Employees work a year.

Why is the OP so concerned about a 37 year old woman taking time off to have a baby?

A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays. That is 109 days off with pay, or almost 22 weeks out the year. I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby.

WRONG QUESTION.

The question should have been "how many weeks do taxpayers and producers must work to financially support Federal Civil Service Employees?
WTF? Check your grammar skills. You make no sense.

How many weeks do federal employees work a year?

For an employee with over 15 years experience

26 pay periods of 10 days= 260 days
Take away 26 vacation days, 10 holiday= 224 days
Works out to 224 days or 45 weeks

As a retired Federal employee -- and conservative -- who worked for the Federal Government for 38 years, let me comment on this.

First of all, although Feds get fairly generous annual and sick leave benefits, senior Feds generally don't take as much as they receive in a year. Why? Because Feds can accumulate and carry over all of their sick leave from year to year and can accumulate all their annual leave and carry over to the next year 240 hours.

A wise bureaucrat like myself saves it up. If you were under the old retirement system (few of us left working, though), your unused sick leave got added in monthly increments to your pension. That allowed me to add over a year of service to my pension.

And, for all Feds, unused annual leave is cashed out. Frankly, you need it to live on while OPM diddles with your final pension.

But to get back to the point about parental leave -- most Feds having babies are younger, with less years of service, earning fewer hours of annual leave per pay period. And they haven't had the time to accumulate large balances. Therefore, they have less to start with.

The problem comes in because previously employees could take advanced sick leave for certain conditions, including pregnancy and childbirth. The advanced sick leave carries over till it is paid back or the employee leaves government service, when it is taken out of the final check.

I had a slacker employee who took advanced sick leave for the birth of her one child. Thirteen years later, when she came under my supervision, she still had a negative sick leave balance. Why, you ask? Because the interim supervisors failed to follow the existing sick leave regulations and allowed her to take advanced sick leave for headaches, doctor's appointments, and routine issue.

And, every year she used her annual leave to take a vacation.

So Obama wants to make this sort of thing a regular occurrence?

It's bad enough he forced telework, which means the slackers are all at home doing personal business but if they are logged into their work email account, they can get paid.

Please don't get me started, I am so glad to be retired and out of this.

Don't forget telework, where you get to sit at home and get paid.

That is just poor supervision

Where I am, there are very strict rules for telework and most positions do not qualify.

Don't forget telework, where you get to sit at home and get paid.

That is just poor supervision

Where I am, there are very strict rules for telework and most positions do not qualify.

It's all poor supervision these days. The supervisors are so afraid of either the unions or EEO complaints that they cave. In this case, the employee was an active member of the union and had a friendship with the union president.

On telework, it used to be very limited and supervisor's discretion. But Obama forced agencies to allow virtually everyone to telework. To keep someone from being eligible to telework, the supervisor had to provide mega justification and most were denied.

To tell you how they valued telework -- when Snowmageddon occurred back in 2010 -- DC had like 2 feet of snow in three days or something like that -- the Federal Government was of course closed due to weather. However, I had to go into the office to complete preparations for the travel I was scheduled for the next week. It was not work I could do at home and for the trip to be successful, I had to go in. I braved it. It was just me and the guards.

After we were all back at work, I was in a meeting with the other HR policy leads (at the time, my job was HR policy lead for a bureau level). We were asked to provide examples of people who teleworked during Snowmageddon for OPM to use as examples and we were encouraged to recognize those people.

I went ballistic. I said I had busted my ass to come in and work and I wanted recognition since I had definitely gone above and beyond but I was told, no, they would only recognize the teleworkers.

I too worked - briefly - in HR at a LE Agency. One major problem, supervisors who did not supervise. As a manager I made sure they did, and by supervising them, they learned supervision is an art, mostly carrot, but a bit of stick never hurt.

AG05 didn't mention FMLA, which is leave but unpaid.

All staff's sick leave was rolled over, and at retirement 240 hours would be applied to time in service if that much had been saved. Anymore would be lost.

Retirement was determined by years of service, times a factor of 3 (30 years x 3 = 90); so a person who worked 30 years would receive 90% of their final annual salary. If they didn't abuse their sick leave the factor would have been 30.50 x 3 to = 91.50% of their final year of compensation (the 3% reflects safety retirement, most civil service employees have a factor of 2 or 2.5 percent).

Hence, those who planned ahead understood the benefits of working in a defined benefit system. To bad CrusaderFrank wasn't smart enough and now is green with envy.

Last edited:
I too worked - briefly - in HR at a LE Agency. One major problem, supervisors who did not supervise. As a manager I made sure they did, and by supervising them, they learned supervision is an art, mostly carrot, but a bit of stick never hurt.

All staff's sick leave was rolled over, and at retirement 240 hours would be applied to time in service if that much had been saved. Anymore would be lost.

Retirement was determined by years of service, times a factor of 3 (30 years x 3 = 90); so a person who worked 30 years would receive 90% of their final annual salary. If they didn't abuse their sick leave the factor would have been 30.50 x 3 to = 91.50% of their final year of compensation (the 3% reflects safety retirement, most civil service employees have a factor of 2 or 2.5 percent).

Hence, those who planned ahead understood the benefits of working in a defined benefit system. To bad CrusaderFrank wasn't smart enough and not is green with envy.

Under the Civil Service Retirement System, all unused sick leave was credited toward service. However, under the current Federal Employees Retirement System, no sick leave credit is given at retirement.

Your pensions were extremely generous. FERS has a Social Security component. CSRS does not. A CSRS employee may retire at age 55 if they have 30 years of service. That gives them a 56% pension. The pension increases 2% per year with each year of service.

FERS employees get 1% per year for each year of service. FERS get a match to their thrift plan. CSRS employees can contribute to the thrift plan but get no match.

Federal law enforcement pensions are more generous because they can retire with 20 years of service and have a forced mandatory age limit.

I am very happy I made the choice to have a Federal career because I have a wonderful retirement. I didn't choose a Federal career for the retirement benefits but now I am ecstatic.

Of course, I did have to eat a lot of shit.

Hence, those who planned ahead understood the benefits of working in a defined benefit system. To bad CrusaderFrank wasn't smart enough and not is green with envy.

Under the Civil Service Retirement System, all unused sick leave was credited toward service. However, under the current Federal Employees Retirement System, no sick leave credit is given at retirement.

Your pensions were extremely generous. FERS has a Social Security component. CSRS does not. A CSRS employee may retire at age 55 if they have 30 years of service. That gives them a 56% pension. The pension increases 2% per year with each year of service.

FERS employees get 1% per year for each year of service. FERS get a match to their thrift plan. CSRS employees can contribute to the thrift plan but get no match.

Federal law enforcement pensions are more generous because they can retire with 20 years of service and have a forced mandatory age limit.

I am very happy I made the choice to have a Federal career because I have a wonderful retirement. I didn't choose a Federal career for the retirement benefits but now I am ecstatic.

What I described is no longer the rule for new hires, and some changes were in the wind for those who expected what I received, thus a number left early and the brain drain commenced.

What I described is no longer the rule for new hires, and some changes were in the wind for those who expected what I received, thus a number left early and the brain drain commenced.

The Feds are experiencing an enormous brain drain. All of us oldies retired. Some because it was time, and others because the management and political leadership just suck. With the pay freeze, you made more retired. You at least got your cost of living.

It is a disaster but they won't admit it. Couple that with the fact that the Obama Administration has screwed up the recruitment and entry level hiring authorities and basically you get bad choices if you are even able to replace someone.

A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays. That is 109 days off with pay, or almost 22 weeks out the year. I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby.

So much fail in this post so let's start at the beginning.

"A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays."

As another poster stated, you don't get both sick leave and maternity leave. The 13 days roll into the maternity leave.

And let's rationally think about this. If a women has been with the Federal Government for 15 years, they have likely passed the prime years for child birth. Many jobs with the federal government require or prefer bachelor degrees. So let's assume a woman graduates at the age of 22 and immediately starts working for the federal government (which is extremely rare). She would be 37 after 15 years of service. How many 37 year old women are starting to have kids? Not many.

"I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. "

Then collectively bargain for it. This is the most annoying thing about people. Instead of people saying "Wow, those are great benefits, we should all have those benefits" they say "I don't have those great benefits, they shouldn't either!" It's class warfare but it's a Civil War within the dying middle class that is perpetuating the "Race to the Bottom" that the rich want.

"Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby."

Most places (including the federal government) have paternity leave.

No place I know of give 12 weeks of paternity leave. 6 weeks, tops, and usually at reduced pay. If a 37 year old woman doesn't give birth, she still can get 12 paid weeks to take care of a sick relative, so that blows that argument.

I am salaried and don't belong to a Union, and wouldn't if I could. I have to work a certain number of days and pay taxes so Civil Service employees can get 20 weeks a year off with full pay. What really amuses me is the term used when there is a government shutdown or a snow alert. Non-Essential government employees get to stay at home with pay. If they are non-essential, why are they even employed.

I consider civil service employees overpaid part time employees with full time pay and benefits.

In case you are interested, I was one for three years and walked away from it in disgust.

I worked civil service for three years and quit. I envy you being able to eat a lot of shit since I was not able to handle the incompetence and gold bricking. I do not regret quitting for one minute since my 401K, IRA's and company pension exceed anything I would have got from civil service, and I didn't have to put up with the crap that I got at the civil service job.

The Feds are experiencing an enormous brain drain. All of us oldies retired. Some because it was time, and others because the management and political leadership just suck. With the pay freeze, you made more retired. You at least got your cost of living.

It is a disaster but they won't admit it. Couple that with the fact that the Obama Administration has screwed up the recruitment and entry level hiring authorities and basically you get bad choices if you are even able to replace someone.
I am seeing better quality employees than at any time in my career. At one time we had to beg people to work for the government. They laughed at the salary and didn't consider the retirement system or job security to be such a big deal
But after being abused by the private sector and being laid off for no reason, they are begging for federal employment

"A Federal Civil Service woman who gives birth with 15 years service gets 26 days a year Annual leave, 13 days sick leave, 60 days off for the birth of a child and 10 Holidays."

As another poster stated, you don't get both sick leave and maternity leave. The 13 days roll into the maternity leave.

And let's rationally think about this. If a women has been with the Federal Government for 15 years, they have likely passed the prime years for child birth. Many jobs with the federal government require or prefer bachelor degrees. So let's assume a woman graduates at the age of 22 and immediately starts working for the federal government (which is extremely rare). She would be 37 after 15 years of service. How many 37 year old women are starting to have kids? Not many.

"I need a job where I get every weekend off and only have to work 30 weeks a year for a years pay. "

Then collectively bargain for it. This is the most annoying thing about people. Instead of people saying "Wow, those are great benefits, we should all have those benefits" they say "I don't have those great benefits, they shouldn't either!" It's class warfare but it's a Civil War within the dying middle class that is perpetuating the "Race to the Bottom" that the rich want.

"Since I am a man, I could get the 12 weeks off to take care of a sick relative since I can't have a baby."

No place I know of give 12 weeks of paternity leave. 6 weeks, tops, and usually at reduced pay. If a 37 year old woman doesn't give birth, she still can get 12 paid weeks to take care of a sick relative, so that blows that argument.

I am salaried and don't belong to a Union, and wouldn't if I could. I have to work a certain number of days and pay taxes so Civil Service employees can get 20 weeks a year off with full pay. What really amuses me is the term used when there is a government shutdown or a snow alert. Non-Essential government employees get to stay at home with pay. If they are non-essential, why are they even employed.

I consider civil service employees overpaid part time employees with full time pay and benefits.

In case you are interested, I was one for three years and walked away from it in disgust.

More lies....no Civil Servant gets 20 weeks off a year with full pay

You are just making shit up now

At 30 years I received 7 weeks vacation + 60 hours of management time + one conference a year. AFTER 30 years.

At 30 years I received 7 weeks vacation + 60 hours of management time + one conference a year. AFTER 30 years.
I just gotta see a link on that one

After 15 years of service, they get 26 days a year. And they only get the extra 60 days if they have a baby.

Forum List

Back