How many right wingers vs left wingers on this forum?

Ray, You donā€™t believe that there are many ā€œmoderateā€ Democrats?

Honestly as a libertarian, itā€™s hard to tell what ā€œmoderateā€ means anymore, itā€™s become a pretty murky term to nail down, however I suspect that most partisans from either party consider themselves ā€œmoderateā€ in one way or another. The Overton Window has moved so much from where it was just a decade ago, that what we once believed as ā€œconservativeā€ core principles or ā€œliberalā€ core principles rarely seem to apply anymore.

Totally wrong. Conservatives are proud to be conservative and call themselves that. Even I don't support every Republican issue, but because I support most of them, I consider myself a right-wing conservative. It's the left that won't admit they are left, so they call themselves moderates when they don't support the entire Communist agenda.
Ray, you missed my point and my question, I didnā€™t ask whether you were proud to be call yourself a conservative, you obviously are and thatā€™s great. However the point was, how does the rank and file membership of the two parties see THEMSELVES with respect to ā€œmoderateā€, do they consider themselves more to the extreme or more to the center? Iā€™m guessing the average partisan tends toward the view him/her self more toward the center, i.e. Iā€™m moderate ā€œconservativeā€ , Iā€™m a moderate ā€œliberalā€, ā€œprogressiveā€ or whatever the heck those on the left are calling themselves these days.

You will quickly find 80 percent of the lefties all claim to be moderates.

You see them all over this forum. They claim they are moderates, who just happen to side with the Democrats over 90% of the time.

Honestly as a libertarian, itā€™s hard to tell what ā€œmoderateā€ means anymore, itā€™s become a pretty murky term to nail down, however I suspect that most partisans from either party consider themselves ā€œmoderateā€ in one way or another. The Overton Window has moved so much from where it was just a decade ago, that what we once believed as ā€œconservativeā€ core principles or ā€œliberalā€ core principles rarely seem to apply anymore.

The Democrats "official" platform has moved WAY further to the left over the past decade than the GOP has moved in any direction. Any Democrat who has views similar to a Joe Lieberman-type moderate is radically out of sync with the current Democrat platform, which is on a trajectory to move even further left based on its young leadership.
I donā€™t disagree, but isnā€™t a ā€œmoderateā€ determined by the middle ground of public opinion at any given point in time (aka ā€œThe Overton Windowā€) ? Where do Democrats and Republicans fall with respect to that?

Is Donald Trump ā€œfar rightā€ with respect to the center of public opinion today?
Is Joe Biden ā€œfar leftā€ with respect to the center of public opinion today?

Opinion polls seem to indicate that weā€™re by in large a ā€œcenter rightā€ country, but itā€™s relative, the ā€œcenterā€ seems to have moved to the left in the last few decades.

Without question the center has moved left in some respects. The way I'm looking at left and right is based on the definitions in political theory, applied to the policies being advanced by each party's elected leaders. That said, if you look at any poll on the approval rating of Congress, it's pretty clear there's a big disparity between the center of public opinion and the things our elected leaders are prioritizing

98 percent of people are center left and center right. The crazy 2 percent are the crybabies who make all the noise.

Ray, you missed my point and my question, I didnā€™t ask whether you were proud to be call yourself a conservative, you obviously are and thatā€™s great. However the point was, how does the rank and file membership of the two parties see THEMSELVES with respect to ā€œmoderateā€, do they consider themselves more to the extreme or more to the center? Iā€™m guessing the average partisan tends toward the view him/her self more toward the center, i.e. Iā€™m moderate ā€œconservativeā€ , Iā€™m a moderate ā€œliberalā€, ā€œprogressiveā€ or whatever the heck those on the left are calling themselves these days.

I'm actually 85% conservative and about 15% Libertarian, but I don't consider myself a libertarian because of their views of our military and illegal drug usage. I do like their less government stance as I am a less government conservative. I am not a moderate Republican either simply because I don't stand behind each and every one of their issues.

A moderate is a person who holds a political position around 50% on each side. The problem with the question in the OP is that we have people here who call themselves moderate when they mostly side with Democrat favored issues, so we will never really know who is left, right or moderate here.

This board is about 25% Leftwing, and 73% anti-Leftwing. There are maybe 2% who are actually conservatives.

You see them all over this forum. They claim they are moderates, who just happen to side with the Democrats over 90% of the time.

The Democrats "official" platform has moved WAY further to the left over the past decade than the GOP has moved in any direction. Any Democrat who has views similar to a Joe Lieberman-type moderate is radically out of sync with the current Democrat platform, which is on a trajectory to move even further left based on its young leadership.
I donā€™t disagree, but isnā€™t a ā€œmoderateā€ determined by the middle ground of public opinion at any given point in time (aka ā€œThe Overton Windowā€) ? Where do Democrats and Republicans fall with respect to that?

Is Donald Trump ā€œfar rightā€ with respect to the center of public opinion today?

Opinion polls seem to indicate that weā€™re by in large a ā€œcenter rightā€ country, but itā€™s relative, the ā€œcenterā€ seems to have moved to the left in the last few decades.

Without question the center has moved left in some respects. The way I'm looking at left and right is based on the definitions in political theory, applied to the policies being advanced by each party's elected leaders. That said, if you look at any poll on the approval rating of Congress, it's pretty clear there's a big disparity between the center of public opinion and the things our elected leaders are prioritizing
Thatā€™s a great point, it does seem that our Congress Critters in the aggregate are WAY out of touch with the average Americans sense of priorities, which seems odd in our highly focused grouped political system.

I'm actually 85% conservative and about 15% Libertarian, but I don't consider myself a libertarian because of their views of our military and illegal drug usage. I do like their less government stance as I am a less government conservative. I am not a moderate Republican either simply because I don't stand behind each and every one of their issues.

A moderate is a person who holds a political position around 50% on each side. The problem with the question in the OP is that we have people here who call themselves moderate when they mostly side with Democrat favored issues, so we will never really know who is left, right or moderate here.
Cool, but again, can one also be a Democrat and a ā€œmoderateā€? After all ā€œmoderateā€ isnā€™t a partisan label, itā€™s a relative measurement of distance from the center of public opinion.

Iā€™m philosophically a libertarian and student of the Austrian School (i.e. WAY outside the center), so itā€™s difficult for me to determine where the center actually lies at any given time, even when I try to play devils advocate from a pragmatic point of view, itā€™s still murky.

Anyhow, thanks for your insights Ray.

Thatā€™s a great point, it does seem that our Congress Critters in the aggregate are WAY out of touch with the average Americans sense of priorities, which seems odd in our highly focused grouped political system.

Bound to happen when your pool of potential focus group participants consists of the Washington D.C. area.

Last edited:
NightFox Moderate people couldn't justify the communist and corrupt behavior of the current dem administration. How could they justify Bribe taking and senility?
Dunno, but then again I have no idea how partisans justify all the duplicity and corruption going on in the two political crime families and why anybody in their right mind would literally worship politicians in the way many partisans do.

The whole ā€œlesser of two evilsā€ political system we have adopted is completely insane, which explains why so many of the people that get elected by it are completely insane.

Bound to happen when your pool of potential focus group participants consists of the Washington D.C. area.
Then how do these dickweeds keep getting elected using completely focused grouped, empty arguments? Apparently those D.C. focus groups are pretty good at telling politicians what the people outside of D.C. want to hear.

Apparently those D.C. focus groups are pretty good at telling politicians what the people outside of D.C. want to hear.
Yes, like "we are going to make your healthcare affordable and you can't be turned down for a preexisting condition".

And "we've got a plan to vaccinate everyone".

And "I won't waste over $100 million playing golf and bilking taxpayers".

Things like that.

Apparently those D.C. focus groups are pretty good at telling politicians what the people outside of D.C. want to hear.
Yes, like "we are going to make your healthcare affordable and you can't be turned down for a preexisting condition".

And "we've got a plan to vaccinate everyone".

And "I won't waste over $100 million playing golf and bilking taxpayers".

Things like that.
Uh-huh, tell people what they want to hear whether itā€™s actually the truth or not, things like that, obviously the focused group bullshit line worked on you.

You donā€™t want to hear the truth, all you want is slogans and bullshit that feed your confirmation bias and what better way to do that than FOCUS GROUPS? they help politicians figure out which lies are the most palatable.

Then how do these dickweeds keep getting elected using completely focused grouped, empty arguments? Apparently those D.C. focus groups are pretty good at telling politicians what the people outside of D.C. want to hear.

I don't know if they're actually doing that, or it's just that the candidates for federal political offices are generally piss poor and seem to be getting worse, attracting people with a predilection for dishonesty and motivation to become wealthy...a bad combination for that type of work...and basically leaving us with a bunch of clones that differ only by who is less shitty.

In all seriousness, money from special interest groups and lobbyists is the primary reason the priorities of our elected representatives are so out of touch with the priorities of their constituents. And that needs to be reigned in and ended if things are ever going to get better. If holding congressional office stops becoming a ticket to the millionaires club, we're more likely to end up with people who have a genuine interest in representing the interests of their constituents and the betterment of the country overall.

Forum List

Back