Zone1 how many gods are there?

how many?

• Total voters
how many.?
In reality, or does that include the ones you worship?

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up

According to the Apostle Paul:

1 Corinthians 8:5-6
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

The Lord Jesus said the following:

John 10:34-36
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Psalms 82:1, 6
1 God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

In reality, or does that include the ones you worship?

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:

5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up
Even the 10 Commandments acknowledged the is more than one god.

How many gods are there?

According to the Hindus, as cited on page 50 of my Portable World Bible

HowManyGods.jpg

interesting!

It was one of my textbooks for a “Comparative Religions” class that I took in college, back in the 1980s. The class covered a wide range of different religions, and this book contains samplings of scriptures from many different religions. The instructress was rather obviously a Hindu, and much of her take was about how all the other religions derive from various aspects of Hinduism.

According to her, the Athanasian concept of a Trinity, as believed by most Christians, is derived from this Hindu teaching, but massively simplified therefrom. She taught us a word, “Kathenotheism” referring to a large number of gods, that somehow condense down to a smaller number, of gods, and ultimately down to one.

I have to say that I don't know how much credence, if any, to give to her various claims about how certain features of other seemingly unrelated religions were allegedly borrow from Hinduism. Clearly, she was a Hindu herself, and came at it with a strong bias toward Hinduism, and toward seeing Hinduism as being the root of other religions.

During the first few centuries after Christ, as the various factions argued and politiced and warred over two main competing theories as to how to resolve the biblical depiction of one, God, and also of three separate beings, with the Athanasian theory finally becoming dominant, I don't know if any of those involve din these debates and wars and politics ever read this passage from the Upanishads, or ever heard of the Hindu take on their hierarchy of gods.

Now, as a Mormon, I do not believe the Athanasian concept. What we believe is much closer to the other competing theory, called Arianism, which holds that the three members of the Godhead are three distinct and separate individuals, functioning in perfect unity as one Godhead. I don't know that our belief is exactly the same as Arianism, but it is certainly much closer than to Athanasianism.

If you ask one of us, we'll say that there is one God, but press harder, and we'll say there are three beings that somehow constitute this one God. I don't think many of us give much thought to trying to understand or explain how three individuals constitute one God, but we are clear that they are three distinct individuals; and not whatever the Athanasian Creed tries to describe.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back