How many are collecting Govt paychecks doing nothing

There is nothing wrong with people working from home. It's healthier for the workers. Most people who do it like it alot more.

There is nothing wrong with people working from home. It's healthier for the workers. Most people who do it like it alot more.
True, but government workers should be representing us from neutral locations that we as taxpayer's can evaluate and assess for auditing purposes and transparency purposes if need be. No way should government employees be working from home. Private sector I say yes have at it, but government jobs furnished by we the taxpayer's "hell no".

To many shenanigans or possible hidden corruptions could be a foot. Look at the liberties Hillary was taking with her governmental home work, and then the violations presented concerning those liberties taken. Pfft. No telling what else is going on.

In the 1980's when the Federal budget was around 1.2 trillion dollars a year it was estimated around 25% was waste and corruption. When any cuts were made it was minor and not long lasting. We can only imagine what today's waste and corruption is on the size of the federal budget. And the deficits are mountainous currently compared to then which was considered high.

The Kensyian community organizer at least doubled that figure.

Whenever I hear this argument about working from home vs. working from a central location (office, warehouse, hospital, etc...) I always try to frame it from square one.

At some point, somewhere, someone “invented” the office. A business owner told a subordinate to come to this location and work on a common goal. As with nearly all human activity relative to work and commerce, it was done for a reason. Usually a need to have the labor near the assets and/or mis-trust that this person whom you hired to work with you would somehow take the assets for themselves if you allowed them to do the labor from their home.

Well, the assets today, are data and information. There isn’t a bunch of widgets laying around for someone to take home and sell out their back door.

So getting back to square one...if the business owners who “invented” the office could go back and do it all over again, would they do it the same way? By that I mean... outlay cash for a common space, pay taxes on said space, pay for inventory, pay for utilities on that space, partner/pay for some distribution channel (UPS, hire drivers), etc... Or would they have that done virtually to where their labor stays at their home, they simply act as the middle man between the wholesalers/manufacturers and their customers? I would think most (as of 2023) would do it exactly the same way instead of the arguably better model of not having an office. If you were to ask me the same question in 2043 when the “new” model is proven to be sound; I think the answer would change. There is no real reason to have an office outside of some level of security concerns or distrust. If it sounds like I’m discounting the reasons, I am not. Security concerns are very real. What is Judy doing with the data that comes across her screen? And the old saying of “building a better mousetrap” is true. No matter what safeguards you put into place to secure the data that Judy sees, it is possible she has a capability to manipulate that data of which you are unaware.

But for most applications, the virtual office is going to be the norm going forward. It makes too much sense from the stakeholder’s perspective. The owners don’t have to pay for this large gathering space, the employees don’t have to spend their capital on transit too and from this space, the bottom line becomes better for both parties... The downside though is human nature. If you want to be “invaluable” to the boss, you probably need to be in their line of sight pretty often.

Whenever I hear this argument about working from home vs. working from a central location (office, warehouse, hospital, etc...) I always try to frame it from square one.

At some point, somewhere, someone “invented” the office. A business owner told a subordinate to come to this location and work on a common goal. As with nearly all human activity relative to work and commerce, it was done for a reason. Usually a need to have the labor near the assets and/or mis-trust that this person whom you hired to work with you would somehow take the assets for themselves if you allowed them to do the labor from their home.

Well, the assets today, are data and information. There isn’t a bunch of widgets laying around for someone to take home and sell out their back door.

So getting back to square one...if the business owners who “invented” the office could go back and do it all over again, would they do it the same way? By that I mean... outlay cash for a common space, pay taxes on said space, pay for inventory, pay for utilities on that space, partner/pay for some distribution channel (UPS, hire drivers), etc... Or would they have that done virtually to where their labor stays at their home, they simply act as the middle man between the wholesalers/manufacturers and their customers? I would think most (as of 2023) would do it exactly the same way instead of the arguably better model of not having an office. If you were to ask me the same question in 2043 when the “new” model is proven to be sound; I think the answer would change. There is no real reason to have an office outside of some level of security concerns or distrust. If it sounds like I’m discounting the reasons, I am not. Security concerns are very real. What is Judy doing with the data that comes across her screen? And the old saying of “building a better mousetrap” is true. No matter what safeguards you put into place to secure the data that Judy sees, it is possible she has a capability to manipulate that data of which you are unaware.

But for most applications, the virtual office is going to be the norm going forward. It makes too much sense from the stakeholder’s perspective. The owners don’t have to pay for this large gathering space, the employees don’t have to spend their capital on transit too and from this space, the bottom line becomes better for both parties... The downside though is human nature. If you want to be “invaluable” to the boss, you probably need to be in their line of sight pretty often.
I worked from home for 10 years. The only problem was a few people didn't produce. They were moved back into the office. You have to be disciplined. The temptation is to stay in your Jammies and watch TV or do something else. You have to get dressed and remind yourself continually that this is the office.

I worked from home for 10 years. The only problem was a few people didn't produce. They were moved back into the office. You have to be disciplined. The temptation is to stay in your Jammies and watch TV or do something else. You have to get dressed and remind yourself continually that this is the office.
Yeah, on my side gig, I’m WFH a lot of the time as well.

But anyone who pretends that they had the same discipline at home as they do at the office is not being truthful.

The overlaying problem is placing too many expectations on people. Be productive we scream. Be on time. Do this do that. What? 3 weeks vacation why that's too much. Then we wonder why people hate their lives. Then we want them having and raising kids too?

But anyone who pretends that they had the same discipline at home as they do at the office is not being truthful.

One does not need the same discipline at home, they need a different sort of discipline.

Take my brother for example...My brother is an architect, he has been working from home since COVID. He moved once they made them remote a hour north of the city they were in and has 10 acres now. He works, does stuff on the land, does more work....rinse and repeat. When his employer tried to make him come back to the office he said he would leave the firm, so they asked if they could ship his chair to him and gave him a raise to keep him from leaving.

They get more work out of him now as the time he would have spent commuting he often spends working.

Remote work for the most part should be be hourly based, it should be based upon doing the job. Far too many people conflate time being at work as working, but often the two are not the same.

What is Judy doing with the data that comes across her screen? And the old saying of “building a better mousetrap” is true. No matter what safeguards you put into place to secure the data that Judy sees, it is possible she has a capability to manipulate that data of which you are unaware.

Same holds true if she is in the office or at home.

The downside though is human nature. If you want to be “invaluable” to the boss, you probably need to be in their line of sight pretty often.

This is a management problem, poor managers equate face time with hard work and very often those that push to have the most face time with their boss are doing so to cover up their poor work ethic.

yes, I know you think he was prefect in every way and worthy of worship.

I will never agree with you on that
Figures you would pounce on the "perfect" word when you responded, but no their isn't anyone perfect no not one, but Trump makes Biden look like a complete dumb ace when it comes to comparing intellects between the two. You know it to be true, but of course you choose to be blind because you want to be an agitator... 😂

One does not need the same discipline at home, they need a different sort of discipline.

Take my brother for example...My brother is an architect, he has been working from home since COVID. He moved once they made them remote a hour north of the city they were in and has 10 acres now. He works, does stuff on the land, does more work....rinse and repeat. When his employer tried to make him come back to the office he said he would leave the firm, so they asked if they could ship his chair to him and gave him a raise to keep him from leaving.

They get more work out of him now as the time he would have spent commuting he often spends working.

Remote work for the most part should be be hourly based, it should be based upon doing the job. Far too many people conflate time being at work as working, but often the two are not the same.
Remote work should be performance based and not hourly.

Hourly ? Are you kidding me, talk about taking advantage of the the situation if one is that kind of person or if their company doesn't truly understand the time completion of each project or the multiple job assignments given to complete. Talk about everyone having to be on board with doing the right thing in a trusting united way.

Certain trade fields have a caliber of talents that are worked by a higher standard of character's, so in those fields trust can be easier to achieve, but government work should be at a government facility, and not performed at private residences.

Figures you would pounce on the "perfect" word when you responded, but no their isn't anyone perfect no not one, but Trump makes Biden look like a complete dumb ace when it comes to comparing intellects between the two. You know it to be true, but of course you choose to be blind because you want to be an agitator... 😂

arguing over who is the better POTUS between Trump and Biden is like fighting over which was the better NFL QB, Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell

Remote work should be performance based and not hourly.

Hourly ? Are you kidding me, talk about taking advantage of the the situation if one is that kind of person or if their company doesn't truly understand the time completion of each project or the multiple job assignments given to complete. Talk about everyone having to be on board with doing the right thing in a trusting united way.

Certain trade fields have a caliber of talents that are worked by a higher standard of character's, so in those fields trust can be easier to achieve, but government work should be at a government facility, and not performed at private residences.

Given your very low view of Fed Govt workers, do you really think they are any more dedicated while in the office than if they are at home?

He fixed the veteran's administration for the veteran's, when administration after administration kicked that can down the road. Hell you being a veteran, you should know that, but you deny anything relating to Trump because of your biases.

Being a veteran I know that the VA Choice program which is what Trump claimed credit for was actually a law passed and signed by Obama in 2014.

WW

This is a management problem, poor managers equate face time with hard work and very often those that push to have the most face time with their boss are doing so to cover up their poor work ethic.
True, true and true. My point on this was that the office was created because we sold physical products--widgets. The folks in the front office had to be there because there wasn't telecommunications, computerized inventories, etc... Now there is. A guy in New Delhi knows if your inventory has bought something out of your inventory (theoretically) before someone on the shop floor does. If the office had never been "invented", I doubt anyone would be saying, "Gee whiz, we need to have everyone in the same place."

Forum List

Back