CDZ How Free Is Free Speech in America?

Is Speech Really Free In America?

• Yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

Not as long as there are people within the culture who want to exercise their own freedom of expression to literally punish you for your beliefs and to intimidate you from expressing them.

They're willing to use our own freedoms against us, which goes against the spirit of freedom of expression.

Last edited:
Depends on which side of the political spectrum you're on. Christian pastors are finding it more and more difficult to preach from the Bible for fear of being accused of a "hate crime" but if you're a far left liberal you can be as hateful towards Christians, Conservatives, and white males as you wish without fear of any consequences. A new trend IS emerging.

I have never had my free speech rights violated. Some of the crap I read on the Internet I really have to wonder if there is any limit to free speech. So yeah, I think it is pretty free.

I also don't understand the "PC" complaint. If you are being criticized for something you said doesn't that mean you had the right to say it in the first place and those you insult have the right to respond? No matter how idiotic?

There are some people that think that only their speech should be free. They say something offensive, and then play the victim when other people exercise their right of free speech to call them out.

Free speech is a thing of the past. And, especially since 9/11. You have to watch what you say or someone will be knocking on your door. Also, what you say on the internet is monitored by the fed. They have programs that detect certain words or phrases, which can put you on a list. No, there is no free speech.

I think there is free speech within limits. I will say that what has happened since 9/11, imo, is a lot of overkill, and a lot of freedoms have been undermined in ways that we still don't completely understand. The long term effects of our responses to 9/11 are still being determined.

I think there is free speech within limits. I will say that what has happened since 9/11, imo, is a lot of overkill, and a lot of freedoms have been undermined in ways that we still don't completely understand. The long term effects of our responses to 9/11 are still being determined.
We have lost a lot since 9/11. We have not gained anything from what we did as a response to that horrifying event.

Get a stars and stripes, then shout' "Death to America" whilst pissing on it, outside the white house.
That'll test your right to freedom of speech.

We have lost a lot since 9/11. We have not gained anything from what we did as a response to that horrifying event.

I totally agree. I don't feel like we are any safer, we've spent trillions of dollars, there have been major encroachments on civil liberties, we've allowed the militarization of local police departments, and for what?

I totally agree. I don't feel like we are any safer, we've spent trillions of dollars, there have been major encroachments on civil liberties, we've allowed the militarization of local police departments, and for what?
You are absolutely correct, I agree.

Thanks for the thanks, Sonny. I guess you're okay, even if you're a #bama fan. :)
Well, I was born and raised in Alabama. I now live in Georgia, but Alabama will always be home. Bama is not too bad. There are worse things one could root for. And, thank you also, it's much appreciated.

I have never had my free speech rights violated. Some of the crap I read on the Internet I really have to wonder if there is any limit to free speech. So yeah, I think it is pretty free.

I also don't understand the "PC" complaint. If you are being criticized for something you said doesn't that mean you had the right to say it in the first place and those you insult have the right to respond? No matter how idiotic?

Of course they have the right to respond. Public debate and discourse is critical to a free society and may be our greatest strength.

Do you feel it's within the spirit of freedom of expression that they also leverage their freedom of expression to punish you (such as damaging or destroying your career or your business) if you say something they don't like, and/or intimidate you from expressing your opinion in the future? Is that acceptable to you?

Not to me. Debate/discourse and punishment/intimidation are two entirely different things. Those who radicalize freedom of expression to punish and intimidate are liars and cowards.

The notion of free speech frames the relationship between the state and the individual, and not between two individuals. It also involves limits in regards to the sort of direct incitement that can cause immediate harm.

These principles have served us well and continue to serve us well no matter how people at the more extreme ends of the political spectrum might try to portray it.

Of course they have the right to respond. Public debate and discourse is critical to a free society and may be our greatest strength.

Do you feel it's within the spirit of freedom of expression that they also leverage their freedom of expression to punish you (such as damaging or destroying your career or your business) if you say something they don't like, and/or intimidate you from expressing your opinion in the future? Is that acceptable to you?

Not to me. Debate/discourse and punishment/intimidation are two entirely different things. Those who radicalize freedom of expression to punish and intimidate are liars and cowards.

What you have described IS the price of freedom of speech.

Let us use a really bad analogy, because I have little else. Say you piss off one of your clients and they start going around saying that mac is a POS who molests children and anyone who invests with mac supports pedophilia? This is so distorted and far from the truth that you know no one who knows you will take it seriously. But, you happen to notice a steep drop off in investments with you. What would you do?

What you have described IS the price of freedom of speech.

Let us use a really bad analogy, because I have little else. Say you piss off one of your clients and they start going around saying that mac is a POS who molests children and anyone who invests with mac supports pedophilia? This is so distorted and far from the truth that you know no one who knows you will take it seriously. But, you happen to notice a steep drop off in investments with you. What would you do?

That's libel, slander. That's not the same as some guy saying he doesn't to, for example, bake a cake for you because (bigoted excuse here). The only reason anyone would act on that, to leverage the law, would be to punish the guy and intimidate others from trying it. They were not harmed in any way, they just saw opportunity.

Again, there is a difference between debate/discourse and punishment/intimidation.

Forum List

Back