How far away is a faster than light quantum entangled internet, and what will it mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means Google will know your toilet paper purchase even before you eat that 6 hours in the sun deviled egg at your friends outdoor party.
It also means China can steal your data so fast that you'll wonder how info from your first flip phone got leaked into a fortune cookie 20 years later.
Actually the claim is that quantum processing could enable not hackable computing as trillions of operations could be done in a fraction of a second enabling encryption at least millions of times over what we have now. So you could have trillions of character encryption just to say Hi and the message could be received and returned from the edge of our solar system in less time than it takes for this to be sent

I like this explanation. My only concern is that what side effect or drawback would there be when you use trillions of bits of info to secure a one letter word? In my mind that is like saying, "I bought an Easter holiday card for my aunt and paid 17 billion dollars for it."

you said that you know what the future of quantum computing will be. That means that you believe that you know the future of science. This is clearly disorganized delusional thinking.

Quantum computing + artificial intelligence + cyborg science = T2"

You would have laughed at von braun when he wrote in his thesis that it should be possible to shoot to the moon...……..
Entanglement does not lead to communication faster than light. It is useful for creating unhackable communication, but only at light speed. Your cite never says it is faster than light. Only you seem to.

Otherwise in this paragraph you quoted....
"unhackable communication protocols that have long been pitched as one of the most useful applications of the technology."
...why don't they pitch faster than light rather than the unhackable. The reason is that it is not true.

The entanglement is simultaneous at both locations so that if there were no observer there could be no way to know which end was the sender. That means the only limitation is the speed of who sends the message.
The engineers working on a space based quantum internet do not share your negativity

It means Google will know your toilet paper purchase even before you eat that 6 hours in the sun deviled egg at your friends outdoor party.
It also means China can steal your data so fast that you'll wonder how info from your first flip phone got leaked into a fortune cookie 20 years later.
Actually the claim is that quantum processing could enable not hackable computing as trillions of operations could be done in a fraction of a second enabling encryption at least millions of times over what we have now. So you could have trillions of character encryption just to say Hi and the message could be received and returned from the edge of our solar system in less time than it takes for this to be sent

I like this explanation. My only concern is that what side effect or drawback would there be when you use trillions of bits of info to secure a one letter word? In my mind that is like saying, "I bought an Easter holiday card for my aunt and paid 17 billion dollars for it."
Actually the new quantum systems will be so much faster and use so many fewer wires that in theory at least it should be cheaper. You are equating bandwith and price, while this is somewhat true now it may well change just like cathode ray tubes went out with flatscreens that are both cheaper and clearer. Change can be both better faster and cheaper and often is

you said that you know what the future of quantum computing will be. That means that you believe that you know the future of science. This is clearly disorganized delusional thinking.

Quantum computing + artificial intelligence + cyborg science = T2"
I can not wait for a computer not programmed to do so ask, where do I go when I am off?

Engineers are trying to replicate human neural pathways with programming just because they can to see what happens

The entanglement is simultaneous at both locations so that if there were no observer there could be no way to know which end was the sender. That means the only limitation is the speed of who sends the message.
Yes the entanglement effect itself is bidirectional. But there would be a designated observer or some sort of receiver at one end. Otherwise secure communication makes no sense. Still, the information transfer is at light-speed.

The entangled state is instantaneous, but it is not possible to send information that way. The sender has no way of knowing what the current state is at his end. And he has no way to change the state in order to form a message. If he tries to do that, the entanglement would be broken.

Yes the entanglement effect itself is bidirectional. But there would be a designated observer or some sort of receiver at one end. Otherwise secure communication makes no sense. Still, the information transfer is at light-speed.

The entangled state is instantaneous, but it is not possible to send information that way. The sender has no way of knowing what the current state is at his end. And he has no way to change the state in order to form a message. If he tries to do that, the entanglement would be broken.
Dude they have already sent information, all you actually need to send information is a color or shape, the color or shape standing in for the 0/1 that composes core binary code.

This entangled image contains information in the image of Schrodinger's cat that was sent by entanglement
83007.jpg

Researchers in the field of quantum communication have recently made great strides, taking us closer to a perfectly secure method of communication.

For years, researchers struggled to find ways to amplify quantum signals, store large amounts of quantum data, and allow for more than two nodes in a quantum network. However, in the last two months, solutions to all three of these problems have been found using the bizarre properties of the quantum world, in particular quantum entanglement.

Now that these hurdles have been overcome, quantum networks and even a quantum internet seem like real possibilities.

What is Quantum Entanglement?
Einstein referred to quantum entanglement as “spooky action at a distance,” and it is one of the strangest phenomenons in quantum mechanics.

Put simply, when two particles are allowed to interact in close proximity, they influence each other’s basic properties, such as their spin, polarization, momentum, etc. When these particles are separated, a change to one particle results in a corresponding change to the other at the exact same time. No matter the distance, the particles are intimately connected in a way that has to be fully explained.

For example, when electron A interacts with electron B, one will take on an up-spin state, while the other takes on a down-spin state. Any change in the spin of one instantaneously affects the spin of the other, regardless of distance. In fact, researchers have demonstrated this between entangled particles separated by over 1,200 kilometers.

How Does Quantum Communication Work?
Using the principle of entanglement, researchers have used entangled photons to transfer information between two nodes, in which the sender holds half of the entangled photons and the receiver holds the other half. Communication is made possible by the manipulation of the photons, resulting in an instantaneous change in the corresponding photons.

More specifically, each node of a quantum network consists of quantum processors, which rely on quantum bits, or qubits, instead of classical bits. Qubits can exist in multiple states, known as superposition, allowing them to perform multiple calculations at once, while traditional bits are confined to only a 0 or a 1, limiting them to one calculation at a time. When one quantum processor changes the states of its photons, the corresponding entangled photons are changed in the other quantum processor, thus transferring the necessary qubits.

One benefit of this is that it creates an unhackable system of communication, in that any attempt to eavesdrop or intercept the information would disentangle the particles. This would alter the message and make it immediately obvious that a hacking attempt had occurred.

Although current applications are still limited, it has been successfully used in quantum key distribution. It is also much faster than traditional methods of communication because entangled photons can transmit information instantaneously.

However, entanglement falls victim to decoupling and the no cloning theorem. Decoupling is the tendency for entangled particles to become disentangled due to interaction with their surroundings, while the no cloning theorem states that quantum states cannot be copied.

This makes long distance communication difficult, and, to overcome this, researchers have employed quantum repeaters. One or more of these is placed in between the sender and the receiver, and their purpose is to store photons that are entangled with the sender’s photons as well as photons that are entangled with the receiver’s photons. By performing an entanglement swap with a Bell state measurement, the photons of the sender and receiver can be entangled over longer distances.

Currently, several quantum repeaters are needed in even the most basic quantum networks, as they have numerous problems, although researchers have recently developed ingenious methods to overcome them

Dude they have already sent information, all you actually need to send information is a color or shape, the color or shape standing in for the 0/1 that composes core binary code.
Yes, yes. I already went through all of that before with Frannie.

The engineering staff knows that you are a fool, who has been left behind, you stay there with the little boys while the science staff moves on. I presume that you can comprehend that encryption keys must include the encryption and decryption sequences and a presumptive message in between, perhaps a raw monkey brain recipe.

Know your enemy....................well

CIAO

Physicists transmit data via Earth-to-space quantum entanglement

(Phys.org)—Two teams of researchers in China have advanced the distance that entangled particles can be used to send information, including encryption keys. In their papers, both uploaded to the arXiv preprint sever, the two groups outline their work and suggest their achievement represents an essential step toward the development of a global-scale quantum internet.

Quantum entanglement is the shared state of two separate particles—what happens to one happens to the other. Scientists have not yet figured out how this occurs, but they have learned how to create entangled particles on demand, typically by firing a laser through a crystal. As physicists learn more about entangled particles, they've designed more experiments to take advantage of their unique properties. One such area of research involves using them to build quantum networks. Such networks would be much faster than anything we have now, and they would also be much more secure because of the nature of entangled particles—disruptions to encryption keys, for example, could be instantly noted, allowing for prevention of hacking. In this new effort, the researchers have extended the entanglement distance of two particles—one on the surface of the Earth and the other in space, courtesy of a satellite. They have also shown that it is possible to send entangled encryption keys from a satellite to an Earth-based receiving station.

In the first experiment, the research team transferred the properties of an entangled particle housed in a facility in Tibet to its partner, which was beamed to a satellite passing overhead, far surpassing the distance record by other researchers. In this case, the information transfer occurred with photons that were approximately 500 to 1,400 kilometers apart, depending on the location of the satellite.

In the second experiment, equipment aboard a satellite created a random string of numbers to represent an encryption key. The key was then beamed to an Earth station as part of an entangled photon stream that used polarization as a means of transmission security.

Last edited:
Wonderful...Faster than light internet...the ability to receive an insulting reply to a post I haven't even made yet...

Wonderful...Faster than light internet...the ability to receive an insulting reply to a post I haven't even made yet...
The really exciting thing about this concept for me is that there are so many differences between physical and software applications between new and old, that we are essentially back to when a 6-volt vacuum tube was a single circuit and that no one then could have imagined a Quintilian op per second machine as the Summit is now. Thus it is impossible to begin to comprehend how this will change computing or even what computing will mean one day

The engineering staff knows that you are a fool, who has been left behind, you stay there with the little boys while the science staff moves on. I presume that you can comprehend that encryption keys must include the encryption and decryption sequences and a presumptive message in between, perhaps a raw monkey brain recipe.

CIAO

I think he's ding's sock puppet.

CIAO

And to think when I was a kid the world was entirely without sock puppets

How did we live

CIAO

Funny. I’ve had conversations with Wuwei in the environmental forum. We didn’t agree on everything but I found he or she to be intelligent and respectful when we disagreed which is more than I can say about your behaviors when we disagree.

Funny. I’ve had conversations with Wuwei in the environmental forum. We didn’t agree on everything but I found he or she to be intelligent and respectful when we disagreed which is more than I can say about your behaviors when we disagree.

You're suppose to have a higher degree than Wuwei. I don't think he has one. Yet, he sounds like he knows more about science than you do. He doesn't talk about 15 gigatons of ice causing a waterworld. He doesn't talk about Noah's ancestors who knew how to sail and were asked by God to migrate across the seven continents. You didn't even know about the Tower of Babel. I suppose that is allegory to you, too. I can accept your long time science, but it's hard to do so when you mix it up with your using the Bible as reference. You had no clue what happened in Genesis 10 and you keep stating it is allegorical.

You're suppose to have a higher degree than Wuwei. I don't think he has one. Yet, he sounds like he knows more about science than you do. He doesn't talk about 15 gigatons of ice causing a waterworld. He doesn't talk about Noah's ancestors who knew how to sail and were asked by God to migrate across the seven continents. You didn't even know about the Tower of Babel. I suppose that is allegory to you, too. I can accept your long time science, but it's hard to do so when you mix it up with your using the Bible as reference. You had no clue what happened in Genesis 10 and you keep stating it is allegorical.
Why do you keep saying a water world? I’ve never said that. That’s what you think the flood account means. I have been extremely clear that the flood account is like any other flooding event. It rains, it floods then it runs off. The only difference is that this wasn’t an ordinary flood. Floods happened all around the globe because 1500 gigatons of water was added to the atmosphere. Specifically, the stratosphere. Which is what happens when an asteroid strike releases energy equivalent to 1500 gigatons of TNT in water or a glacier. In this case it was a glacier. Not to mention there appears to be a second impact site. So my explanation that the flood account captured a real event that occurred ~12,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age and caused a mini ice age is founded in science, logic and reason. No wonder you need to keep misstating it.

As for Wuwei I wouldn’t be surprised if he did have a background in science and even if he didn’t it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if he did know more about science than me. I would welcome honest conversations even if we disagreed. I can’t say the same thing about you though.

As for the Tower of Babel that is the allegorical account of the migration from Mesopotamia. So I know all about it. You are the one who does not realize the 1st 11 chapters detail the history that all nations share and were passed down orally from generation to generation for thousands of years because that is how ancient man passed down information, history and wisdom 6,000 years ago.

Why do you keep saying a water world? I’ve never said that.

You're the one who said 3.2 B years ago was the global flood. That's not what Ken Ham states. That's not what the Bible states. That's not what I state. Moreover, waterworld was discussed and it was pinpointed to 3.2 B years ago by the scientists -- Earth may have been a waterworld covered by global ocean 3.2 billion years ago, study suggests. OTOH, you provide no link for your Biblical interpretations nor any verse. You have no source. You provide no link to your claims.

As for your metaphor claim, you need to explain it. For example one day does not mean one day if you want to make it refer to long time. What does one day equal in your interpretation? With prophecies, one day doesn't mean one day. Thus, one can't use that in calculations in figuring out the events in prophecies. These have been discussed several times in R&E which you never partake.

How can anyone interpret all the begots in Genesis 10, for example, as metaphor? Instead, I provided you prophecies where metaphor is used such as the narrow gate and door. Also, pre-Tribulation, mid-Tribulation, and post-Tribulation was presented to you, but it seems to go over your head :aug08_031:

I have been extremely clear that the flood account is like any other flooding event. It rains, it floods then it runs off. The only difference is that this wasn’t an ordinary flood. Floods happened all around the globe because 1500 gigatons of water was added to the atmosphere. Specifically, the stratosphere. Which is what happens when an asteroid strike releases energy equivalent to 1500 gigatons of TNT in water or a glacier. In this case it was a glacier. Not to mention there appears to be a second impact site. So my explanation that the flood account captured a real event that occurred ~12,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age and caused a mini ice age is founded in science, logic and reason. No wonder you need to keep misstating it.

:link:. There is no 15 gigatons of water added to the stratosphere in the Bible, so where do you get that? Now, you've changed 3.2 B years ago to about 12K years ago.

Bottom line is you're not very convincing even though you think you have been clear. Who has agreed with your findings?

Why do you keep saying a water world? I’ve never said that.

You're the one who said 3.2 B years ago was the global flood. That's not what Ken Ham states. That's not what the Bible states. That's not what I state. Moreover, waterworld was discussed and it was pinpointed to 3.2 B years ago by the scientists -- Earth may have been a waterworld covered by global ocean 3.2 billion years ago, study suggests. OTOH, you provide no link for your Biblical interpretations nor any verse. You have no source. You provide no link to your claims.

As for your metaphor claim, you need to explain it. For example one day does not mean one day if you want to make it refer to long time. What does one day equal in your interpretation? With prophecies, one day doesn't mean one day. Thus, one can't use that in calculations of the prophecies.

How can anyone interpret all the begots in Genesis 10, for example, as metaphor? Instead, I provided you prophecies where metaphor is used such as the narrow gate and door. Also, pre-Tribulation, mid-Tribulation, and post-Tribulation was presented to you, but it seems to go over your head :aug08_031:

I have been extremely clear that the flood account is like any other flooding event. It rains, it floods then it runs off. The only difference is that this wasn’t an ordinary flood. Floods happened all around the globe because 1500 gigatons of water was added to the atmosphere. Specifically, the stratosphere. Which is what happens when an asteroid strike releases energy equivalent to 1500 gigatons of TNT in water or a glacier. In this case it was a glacier. Not to mention there appears to be a second impact site. So my explanation that the flood account captured a real event that occurred ~12,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age and caused a mini ice age is founded in science, logic and reason. No wonder you need to keep misstating it.

:link:. There is no 15 gigatons of water added to the stratosphere in the Bible, so where do you get that? Now, you've changed 3.2 B years ago to about 12K years ago.

Bottom line is you're not very convincing even though you think you have been clear. Who has agreed with your findings?
No. I did not say I said the account in Genisis was based on an event 3 billion years ago. It was based on an event from 12,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age; the Hiawatha asteroid impact in Greenland.

You are confusing me with someone else. Please stop misstating my argument.

There is no 15 gigatons of water added to the stratosphere in the Bible, so where do you get that? Now, you've changed 3.2 B years ago to about 12K years ago.
The Bible speaks of rain for 40 days and 40 nights. It’s an allegorical account of a historical event. The account was passed down orally from generation to generation for thousands of years. It’s not a science journal. It’s how ancient men passed down important information, history, knowledge and wisdom.

I never changed anything. I even created a thread on this in the science forum. My position has never changed. You are confusing me with someone else.

There is no 15 gigatons of water added to the stratosphere in the Bible, so where do you get that? Now, you've changed 3.2 B years ago to about 12K years ago.
The Bible speaks of rain for 40 days and 40 nights. It’s an allegorical account of a historical event. The account was passed down orally from generation to generation for thousands of years. It’s not a science journal. It’s how ancient men passed down important information, history, knowledge and wisdom.

I never changed anything. I even created a thread on this in the science forum. My position has never changed. You are confusing me with someone else.

I asked you where do you get this and still no answer.

If it's allegorical, then how long does 40 days and 40 nights represent to you? If you are correct, then I should be able to use it for other calculations in Genesis, too. Where in your history book does it say the account was passed down orally? Are you referring to the many myths from around the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back