How did you invest over the years.

Persistence Of Memory

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Since I have been in finance since Reagan was president, I know I'm not sophisticated enough to pick,predict and plan companies futures.

This is what I did. Since 1984 I have contributed my max to the 401 and the ROTH faithfully each month to this day. Also my wifes funds, the same amounts.

I have only used Fidelity Sector Mutual Funds. 90%of the max contri was put evenly in 4 sectors.

1-Technology Fund
2-Leisure fund
3- Biotechnology fund
4-Computers
Some fund names have changed over almost 40 yrs.
I have never made one trade since 1984 with that 90%

The 10% left over was my Drunken Sailor Fund. This was my race track all or nothing fund. 5% in 2 funds traded a million times in a totally blind guessing game of total nonsense. Anything from utilities (good choice) to Gold and Metals(Idiot choice). So I had fun with some of the stash. But throwing a dart blind folded at the newspaper is as reliable. Lol

Overall how do you think I did? Remember 90%of that dough has been parked and never moved. Oodles of cobwebs on them.

Never posted in this section

Moonglow

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I invested in cardboard futures it was rough but we finally overcame the plastic companies.
No really I invested in the old favs of the famiy. Oil and land.

Jimmy_Chitwood

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since I have been in finance since Reagan was president, I know I'm not sophisticated enough to pick,predict and plan companies futures.

This is what I did. Since 1984 I have contributed my max to the 401 and the ROTH faithfully each month to this day. Also my wifes funds, the same amounts.

I have only used Fidelity Sector Mutual Funds. 90%of the max contri was put evenly in 4 sectors.

1-Technology Fund
2-Leisure fund
3- Biotechnology fund
4-Computers

The 10% left over was my Drunken Sailor Fund. This was my race track all or nothing fund. 5% in 2 funds traded a million times in a totally blind guessing game of total nonsense. Anything from utilities (good choice) to Gold and Metals(Idiot choice). So I had fun with some of the stash. But throwing a dart blind folded at the newspaper is as reliable. Lol

Overall how do you think I did? Remember 90%of that dough has been parked and never moved. Oodles of cobwebs on them.

Fantastic with 2 / 3 in tech.

Great discipline.

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I invest in S&P 500 Index Funds

Other than that, I have two houses

xband

Gold Member
Reaction score

1-Technology Fund
2-Leisure fund
3- Biotechnology fund
4-Computers

I started investing in 2000 when 59 years old and got out in 2012 and retired, capital gains is a bitch.

Last edited:

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List