How can you not like Herman Cain?

I do like Cain. Very much.

Wouldn't hesitate to vote for him if he gets the nod.

Cain is a been there done that kinda guy. Good head for business and he knows how to get things done.

Rather lacking in the Foreign Affairs Dept but if he picks a good VP with FA cred and a savvy smart cabinet no reason he wouldn't make a fine POTUS.

Me too. There is something very straightforward about him that appeals to me.

you 2 aren't the only ones, here is a little clip of a focus group from after the tea party debate a while back

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no personal beef with Cain. Seems like a nice enough guy. But his plan to cut taxes on the wealthy and raise taxes on the poor is not a plan that will get our country going again.

Never saw that part of his plan. And what taxes do the poor pay exactly ? You mean the ones they are charged for ciggi's, soda, and beer ?

Never saw that part? It's the thrust of his plan! No taxes on investment income means a massive tax cut for the wealthy. A national sales tax means those people who have to spend all they earn pay a larger percentage of their income in taxes than a wealthy person who does not have to spend all he makes.

Not to mention, the overall plan encourages consumers to NOT spend money.

Cain's plan is basically the opposite of what we need right now.

It's relative. Wealthy are buying big ticket items. Yachts, jewelry, homes (more than one), expensive cars and electronics. More and bigger 9% items than what we might give. Look at the pot that is filled with that tax money, you'll see that a small percentage is paid by the lower and middle class, but the upper class pays a higher percentage if the kitty.

Last edited:
I like him. And I appreciate his boldness and honest answers during the debates. ( Let me add Newt in here too ) Unlike Romney, Perry and Bachmann who danced around with talking points.

Never saw that part of his plan. And what taxes do the poor pay exactly ? You mean the ones they are charged for ciggi's, soda, and beer ?

Never saw that part? It's the thrust of his plan! No taxes on investment income means a massive tax cut for the wealthy. A national sales tax means those people who have to spend all they earn pay a larger percentage of their income in taxes than a wealthy person who does not have to spend all he makes.

Cain plan is basically the opposite of what we need right now.

Can you explain how his plan does what you claim with a few specifics? Here is the plan for you.

999 | Herman Cain for President

Sure.

From his Phase I

Zero capital gains tax - The poor and middle class who own stocks tend to own them in retirement accounts where the gains grow tax free, so this doesn't really help them. It very much helps the mega wealthy who derive a large part of their income from capital gains.

Individual Flat Tax – 9% - As gets mentioned on here daily, almost half of all taxpayers pay zero in federal income taxes while paying (normally) 6.2% in payroll taxes. Cain would remove the payroll taxes while implementing his 9%, which would be a straight up increase in taxes for half of all taxpayers.

National Sales Tax – 9% - The big one. Since the working poor and most middle class families spend all they make, this tax will mean they are paying another 9% of their after tax income back into taxes. A wealthy family that does not spend all they make will not have to do this. They pay back in considerably less. Plus, this type of tax means you can lower your tax burden by NOT spending. The less you spend the less you are taxed. Lowering consumer spending is not what we need to get the economy going again.

Example 1 - Family of 4 making a household income of $40,000 would pay $3,600 in income taxes. They would then spend the remaining $36,400 by buying $33,400 in goods/services while paying $3,200 in taxes. This is all before state sales taxes, which would further reduce their buying power. They pay a total of $6,800 in federal taxes on $40,000 in income or 17%.

Example 2 - Family of 4 making a household income of $400,000, half from capital gains (dividends), would pay $0 on the $200,000 of capital gains and pay $18,000 on the other $200,000. They spend $150,000 in a year by buying $137,600 worth of goods/services and paying $12,400 in sales taxes. They pay a total of $30,400 in taxes on $400,000 worth of income or just 7.6%.

Last edited:
Look at the pot that is filled with that tax money, you'll see that a small percentage is paid by the lower and middle class, but the upper class pays a higher percentage if the kitty.
That should be obvious. If you make a higher percentage of total income you should naturally be paying a higher percentage of total taxes.

No Cain thread is complete without this..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjdHaMeiiQ]1986 Earl Scheib commercial - YouTube[/ame]

I have no personal beef with Cain. Seems like a nice enough guy. But his plan to cut taxes on the wealthy and raise taxes on the poor is not a plan that will get our country going again.

Cain's plan is basically the opposite of what we need right now.

So?

Cain plan is basically the opposite of what we need right now.

Can you explain how his plan does what you claim with a few specifics? Here is the plan for you.

Sure.

From his Phase I

Zero capital gains tax - The poor and middle class who own stocks tend to own them in retirement accounts where the gains grow tax free, so this doesn't really help them. It very much helps the mega wealthy who derive a large part of their income from capital gains.

Individual Flat Tax – 9% - As gets mentioned on here daily, almost half of all taxpayers pay zero in federal income taxes while paying (normally) 6.2% in payroll taxes. Cain would remove the payroll taxes while implementing his 9%, which would be a straight up increase in taxes for half of all taxpayers.

National Sales Tax – 9% - The big one. Since the working poor and most middle class families spend all they make, this tax will mean they are paying another 9% of their after tax income back into taxes. A wealthy family that does not spend all they make will not have to do this. They pay back in considerably less. Plus, this type of tax means you can lower your tax burden by NOT spending. The less you spend the less you are taxed. Lowering consumer spending is not what we need to get the economy going again.

Example 1 - Family of 4 making a household income of $40,000 would pay $3,600 in income taxes. They would then spend the remaining $36,400 by buying $33,400 in goods/services while paying $3,200 in taxes. This is all before state sales taxes, which would further reduce their buying power. They pay a total of $6,800 in federal taxes on $40,000 in income or 17%.

Example 2 - Family of 4 making a household income of $400,000, half from capital gains (dividends), would pay $0 on the $200,000 of capital gains and pay $18,000 on the other $200,000. They spend $150,000 in a year by buying $137,600 worth of goods/services and paying $12,400 in sales taxes. They pay a total of $30,400 in taxes on $400,000 worth of income or just 7.6%.

Thanks for your well thought out response!

Under the Bush Tax rates that we have right now you are right, the poor (well people under ~30k/year) have to pay zero percent federal income tax and under cain's plan every american would have some "Skin in the game (to quote obama)".

They also don't have to pay any national sales tax at the moment. So, if i think of it like that, you are right some of the poor who don't pay anything now will have to pay some.

I still support the idea behind the 9-9-9 plan in light of this. I feel that taxes should be uniform amongst all citizens.

I just ran across a cain ad about the plan, its interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IuiEmXoBhI]9-9-9: A Vision for Economic Growth - YouTube[/ame]

Under the Bush Tax rates that we have right now you are right, the poor (well people under ~30k/year) have to pay zero percent federal income tax and under cain's plan every american would have some "Skin in the game (to quote obama)".
Just because someone pays no federal income taxes does not mean they have no skin in the game. "Conservatives" like to conveniently forget about payroll taxes, which all workers pay, and the poor and middle class get hit harder than the wealthy.

They also don't have to pay any national sales tax at the moment. So, if i think of it like that, you are right some of the poor who don't pay anything now will have to pay some.
It's not just "some". When you live paycheck to paycheck and someone taxes your spending it affects everything you earn.

I still support the idea behind the 9-9-9 plan in light of this. I feel that taxes should be uniform amongst all citizens.
But Cain's plan won't make it uniform. As I just showed you, it is weighted so that the poor and middle class pay a higher percentage than the wealthy. "Conservatives" complain about the "unfair" system we have no, but Cain's is just as unbalanced, only the other way. Why no outrage over his plan then?

Just because someone pays no federal income taxes does not mean they have no skin in the game. "Conservatives" like to conveniently forget about payroll taxes, which all workers pay, and the poor and middle class get hit harder than the wealthy.

It's not just "some". When you live paycheck to paycheck and someone taxes your spending it affects everything you earn.

But Cain's plan won't make it uniform. As I just showed you, it is weighted so that the poor and middle class pay a higher percentage than the wealthy. "Conservatives" complain about the "unfair" system we have no, but Cain's is just as unbalanced, only the other way. Why no outrage over his plan then?

well with the payroll tax being eliminated for a 9% income tax then the increase on the poor isn't 9% its 2.8%, which isn't as bad.

How is everyone having to pay 9% income tax, with no exeptions, not an equal burden? Everyone pays the same exact percent of their income in taxes. You need to elaborate on this more, and if you can help it don't multi-quote me that way, just number the paragraphs or something it makes quoting back get all messy.

well with the payroll tax being eliminated for a 9% income tax then the increase on the poor isn't 9% its 2.8%, which isn't as bad.
Tell that to a single mom making $25,000 a year.

How is everyone having to pay 9% income tax, with no exeptions, not an equal burden? Everyone pays the same exact percent of their income in taxes. You need to elaborate on this more, and if you can help it don't multi-quote me that way, just number the paragraphs or something it makes quoting back get all messy.
I already showed it, but will again.

Example 1 - Single man making $40,000 a year from his job pays $3,600 in income taxes.
Example 2 - Single man making $40,000 in dividends from stocks given to him by his parents pays $0 in income taxes.

That's Cain's plan.

Sure.

From his Phase I

Thanks for your well thought out response!

I just ran across a cain ad about the plan, its interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IuiEmXoBhI]9-9-9: A Vision for Economic Growth - YouTube[/ame]

As of 11:41 AM the company I worked for went under, and I am officially unemployed. I still like 9%9%9%.

Tell that to a single mom making $25,000 a year.

I already showed it, but will again.

Example 1 - Single man making $40,000 a year from his job pays $3,600 in income taxes.
Example 2 - Single man making $40,000 in dividends from stocks given to him by his parents pays $0 in income taxes.

That's Cain's plan.

So you support an inheritance tax...because that money wasn't tax enough when the guy was alive? Anyway, you must also then support a tax on anything that guy making $40k bequeaths to his child. Sounds like you also support a cap gains tax, despite that the money used to invest was already taxed.

I have a better idea than all these taxes. Stop spending so much. Simple but effective.

So you support an inheritance tax...because that money wasn't tax enough when the guy was alive? Anyway, you must also then support a tax on anything that guy making $40k bequeaths to his child. Sounds like you also support a cap gains tax, despite that the money used to invest was already taxed.

I support an inheritance tax because I don't think my tax dollars should be used to transfer wealth from a rich guy to his kids. If he wants it transferred, make him take responsibility himself. Make him pay for it.

I support a tax on capital gains because the GAIN is what we're discussing and NOT the money used to get that gain. If you earned it, you pay your fair share just like the rest of us.

Cain is the man!!! I hope he wins the Presidency.

Liberals are shaking in their high-heels... LOL!

Who is Cain?

Nice guy but he has no chance...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLLqB6EvaI]Who is Herman Cain? - YouTube[/ame]

sorry im the youtube king today :p I like video.

Oh I know who Cain is... he is that guy that has half of the understand that Ron Paul does of the economy the constitution, about a hundredth the understanding of foreign policy compared to Ron Paul and about 1/10th the supporters... Yes, we must elect Cain lol.

Question: Cain, where do you stand on foreign policy?
Cain: I do not have an answer for you at this time, give me until next debate so I can read up and answer the question then…

Not so shocking Cain’s answer will be whatever people wanted to hear the most.

Forum List

Back