How can we fix all this biased media?

We really need to go back to a time when the news was boring and most people hated politicians regardless of party. Right now all this biased media has people rooting for their team(party) regardless of how bad it sucks. Can we make news non profit or something? We can’t continue like this.

The time you refer to was when news was a service. The networks were not trying to make a huge profit.

Then came the 24 hour news channels, and news became big business. And the media people figured out that we watch the news much more when we are scared. On 9/11 and 9/12, the number of people watching the news broke records. So the media people have figured out that if they scare us, they make more money.

We really need to go back to a time when the news was boring and most people hated politicians regardless of party. Right now all this biased media has people rooting for their team(party) regardless of how bad it sucks. Can we make news non profit or something? We can’t continue like this.

It is impossible to "fix" the media.

We are now two nations, figuratively speaking.

"Never the twain shall meet."

Cable TV and the internet have pretty much destroyed the media, because standards have been lowered so far by competition. I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle.

Just thinking out loud, we may need to have some kind of division/designation system, where certain standards need to be maintained for networks that describe themselves as "news". That makes me a little nervous, but we may reach that point.
Can we set a way of determining facts and give heavy fines for lies spewed?
Only if those reporting are forced to state what is objective truth and what is subjective opinion. We would end up with very short news stories and lengthy opinion pieces, kind of like FOX did early on.

Cable TV and the internet have pretty much destroyed the media, because standards have been lowered so far by competition. I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle.

Just thinking out loud, we may need to have some kind of division/designation system, where certain standards need to be maintained for networks that describe themselves as "news". That makes me a little nervous, but we may reach that point.
The "we" is the scary part. Not fond of the gubmit getting involved. One idea -- again, off the top of my head -- might be an industry-owned self-regulatory power, like the financial services industry has with FINRA. So standards can be created, maintained and enforced.

We are two nations according to the media. Not in real life. I have friends and family and neighbors from all over politics spectrum and have no interest in separating countries from them.

The "we" is the scary part. Not fond of the gubmit getting involved. One idea -- again, off the top of my head -- might be an industry-owned self-regulatory power, like the financial services industry has with FINRA. So standards can be created, maintained and enforced.

I like that idea. Any hope for it being accepted by the opposite ends of the two-party death pact?

Why would they ever go back to actual unbiased news now that they realize they have the power to control millions, and be paid millions for the pleasure...
I think they like the money. The control is iffy. I mean if they had it Trump wouldn’t have won the first time.
Nope, it is control. It has been like that for over a hundred years. A new outlet publishes the political leanings of its publisher. It was like that under the media barrons like Hearst and Pulitzer and it continues today with the likes of Murdoch (FOX), Dungey (ABC), Zuckerberg (FB), Zucker (CNN) and Dorsey (Twit).

We are two nations according to the media. Not in real life. I have friends and family and neighbors from all over politics spectrum and have no interest in separating countries from them.
That's exactly right. The country is varying shades of purple - there is no red or blue.

I like that idea. Any hope for it being accepted by the opposite ends of the two-party death pact?
Well, not that I can think of, but let's not forget who we're dealing with :laugh:

The problem is that all the other programming besides the news channels is really, really terrible. 1000 channels - and nothing good on.

Non-stop news editorializing is the most entertaining thing on T.V. - A whole lot of people who would otherwise be disinterested in politics are watching these news channels non-stop. Because everything else sucks.
Has it been determined to be more profitable?

Before Cable the networks didn't see news as a profit center but as a public service. The parties didn't start weaponizing it till the 90's and Fox began as the anti Clinton infotainment news network.

Turn off CNN PBS ABC NBC MSNBC CBS...for starters....

Learn to distinguish news from opinion?

Sports is regulated. WWE didn't want to be regulated as a sport so they called themselves sports entertainment.

News is somewhat regulated but not sure how it can be labeled News Entertainment but it should be.

Why would they ever go back to actual unbiased news now that they realize they have the power to control millions, and be paid millions for the pleasure...

The media or press has always been free to be bias, that is printed media. Networks were regulated when there were only three nationwide radio stations. Lawmakers realized how damaging to free speech it could be for a network to broadcast from a single political perspective 24/7. The TV Networks were also regulated under the Fairness Doctrine until the cable explosion when the sources of information became more eclectic. Even more so with the internet and web publishing.

America can't be fixed.

There is too much Left Wing filth in the country.

It can't be fixed at the ballot box and it can't be fixed through reform.

We need a real reset to restore the Constitution and Liberty.

America can't be fixed.

There is too much Left Wing filth in the country.

It can't be fixed at the ballot box and it can't be fixed through reform.

We need a real reset to restore the Constitution and Liberty.

We just have to recognize the real filth.......

For example, in late September 2019, 8 pm ET host Tucker Carlson mocked Smith for standing up for his friend and colleague Judge Andrew Napolitano after the judge was called a "fool" by one of Carlson's guests. The network's lack of a vocal defense for Smith following the incident bothered him and the whole episode factored into his decision to leave, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Executives at the network leaned on him to stay, but they were unsuccessful. Smith announced his departure on air, then exited the building immediately.

"I stuck with it for as long as I could," Smith said. "At some point, I realized I've reached a point of diminishing returns, and I left."

Smith told Amanpour that he continues to be disturbed by what is reported on Fox.

"I don't know how some people sleep at night," Smith said of the Fox News employees who knowingly spread falsehoods. "I know that there are a lot of people who have propagated the lies and who have pushed them forward over and over again who are smart enough and educated enough to know better."

Turn off Faux. It's bad news for America.

It's impossible to put the genie back into the bottle.

The only thing possible is to make laws to air political candidates equally.

Bill Clinton screwed us royally when he got rid of the Fairness Act, or whatever it was called.

We need a modern-day version of that. It's the only thing that can begin to bring any semblance of what you're talking about back.

We just have to recognize the real filth.......

For example, in late September 2019, 8 pm ET host Tucker Carlson mocked Smith for standing up for his friend and colleague Judge Andrew Napolitano after the judge was called a "fool" by one of Carlson's guests. The network's lack of a vocal defense for Smith following the incident bothered him and the whole episode factored into his decision to leave, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Executives at the network leaned on him to stay, but they were unsuccessful. Smith announced his departure on air, then exited the building immediately.

"I stuck with it for as long as I could," Smith said. "At some point, I realized I've reached a point of diminishing returns, and I left."

Smith told Amanpour that he continues to be disturbed by what is reported on Fox.

"I don't know how some people sleep at night," Smith said of the Fox News employees who knowingly spread falsehoods. "I know that there are a lot of people who have propagated the lies and who have pushed them forward over and over again who are smart enough and educated enough to know better."

Turn off Faux. It's bad news for America.
I saw this interview yesterday and meant to make a thread on it, but, oh well...!

Forum List

Back