How can we fix all this biased media?

We really need to go back to a time when the news was boring and most people hated politicians regardless of party. Right now all this biased media has people rooting for their team(party) regardless of how bad it sucks. Can we make news non profit or something? We can’t continue like this.
We need to get over our fixation on news as entertainment.
Is there a legal way to force it to be boring?

We really need to go back to a time when the news was boring and most people hated politicians regardless of party. Right now all this biased media has people rooting for their team(party) regardless of how bad it sucks. Can we make news non profit or something? We can’t continue like this.

The problem is that all the other programming besides the news channels is really, really terrible. 1000 channels - and nothing good on.

Non-stop news editorializing is the most entertaining thing on T.V. - A whole lot of people who would otherwise be disinterested in politics are watching these news channels non-stop. Because everything else sucks.
Has it been determined to be more profitable?

There are too many competing media services and channels. They have to compete for the best shows - that drives the price charged for the shows up and most stations can only afford mediocre programming.

You have to subscribe to about 20 different services if you want good programming.
Why 20? 10 won't do?

I get mine from insider industry sources. True news. Boring but need it for my job.

Turn off CNN PBS ABC NBC MSNBC CBS...for starters....

I can see the day where drastically different weather forecasts will be the norm based on political party.
We already get different search engine results based on where the search originates from. The AI doesn't care if the link goes to the truth or not, it's only programmed to give you what is most likely to keep your eye on the page as long as possible, which helps explain why stalwarts of the opposing political parties think the other guys are insane. They couldn't think the way they do if they read the same things we read. The truth is, they're NOT reading the same things, and it's not necessarily because they're looking for confirmation bias, it's because they're being given different things to read.
Those search results are predicated on your bias. The data they keep on you goes into your little profile. The problem is that there is factual reporting if you want it or if you can filter out the little biases. Some sources are just outright lies. If a source tells you all dems are satan worshipping pedos then you have a problem. Its not factual or even a little bias. Its just an outright lie.

The biggest problem with media, especially social media, is it gives credibility to extremism, conspiracy theories, lies and the call for violence. Credibility and a reach they do not deserve and have never had in the our past media. The 21st century media has benefited extremism on both sides of the political spectrum more than anyone else. The voice of moderation is being drowned out in today's media.
Media tends to reflect the educated population more than the uneducated population. But the uneducated is receiving plenty of media that fit's their mentality led by Fox news and Mad magazine.

Turn off CNN PBS ABC NBC MSNBC CBS...for starters....
But not fox right? I’ve turned them off and don’t even have cable now. I don’t know I see people following...

Returning to constitutionally limited government would help. If the power of the federal government is limited, most people won't care who's in charge because it won't matter than much. The more power government has, the more people will fight to control it.

Do you think that there's a correlation between the News we receive and the 12 Federal Reserve banking districts?

Now you want an objective media--where were your complaints for the last four years?

Cable TV and the internet have pretty much destroyed the media, because standards have been lowered so far by competition. I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle.

Just thinking out loud, we may need to have some kind of division/designation system, where certain standards need to be maintained for networks that describe themselves as "news". That makes me a little nervous, but we may reach that point.

Returning to constitutionally limited government would help. If the power of the federal government is limited, most people won't care who's in charge because it won't matter than much. The more power government has, the more people will fight to control it.
Good point. But it seems they just make up shit. The parties don’t control abortions, but it’s political.

Now you want an objective media--where were your complaints for the last four years?
I’ve not been a fan for sometime.

Why would they ever go back to actual unbiased news now that they realize they have the power to control millions, and be paid millions for the pleasure...
I think they like the money. The control is iffy. I mean if they had it Trump wouldn’t have won the first time.

The first amendment was not supposed to be sensationalized.

Cable TV and the internet have pretty much destroyed the media, because standards have been lowered so far by competition. I don't think you can put that genie back in the bottle.

Just thinking out loud, we may need to have some kind of division/designation system, where certain standards need to be maintained for networks that describe themselves as "news". That makes me a little nervous, but we may reach that point.
Can we set a way of determining facts and give heavy fines for lies spewed?

Can we set a way of determining facts and give heavy fines for lies spewed?

That gets tricky politically. There's a reason Orwell posited the "Ministry of Truth".

I can see the day where drastically different weather forecasts will be the norm based on political party.
We already get different search engine results based on where the search originates from. The AI doesn't care if the link goes to the truth or not, it's only programmed to give you what is most likely to keep your eye on the page as long as possible, which helps explain why stalwarts of the opposing political parties think the other guys are insane. They couldn't think the way they do if they read the same things we read. The truth is, they're NOT reading the same things, and it's not necessarily because they're looking for confirmation bias, it's because they're being given different things to read.
Those search results are predicated on your bias. The data they keep on you goes into your little profile. The problem is that there is factual reporting if you want it or if you can filter out the little biases. Some sources are just outright lies. If a source tells you all dems are satan worshipping pedos then you have a problem. Its not factual or even a little bias. Its just an outright lie.
It goes by your profile, yes, but also by where you live. If you Google say, police brutality, from New York City and from rural Alabama, your search results will be different because the AI assumes you hold similar views to those who live in your area and will serve you a list of links that it thinks you will agree with. And as for truth, that literally doesn't matter. Remember the basketball player who looked stupid for saying he believed the earth was flat? He searched for something related to the subject and the AI, knowing that there was a fair amount on activity on the flat-earth subject, fed him a bunch of links that ended up with him believing it. All designed to keep his eyes on the page as long as possible. Best thing to do? Find pundits on both sides of the aisle and read what they have to say about a subject. At first, you'll wonder if they're even describing the same thing, but you'll gain a perspective you never thought you would.

Forum List

Back