Zone1 How Asian Artists Picture Jesus’ Birth From 1240 to Today

There ya go, He wasn't Asian.
Hazel. Approximately 5% of the world's population and 18% of people in the U.S. have hazel eyes, which are a mixture of green, orange, and gold. Hazel eyes are more common in North Africa, the Middle East, and Brazil, as well as in people of Spanish heritage.

Jesus was born in Asia. He was Asian. Yet the preponderance of Christian art that shows him at home in Europe has meant that he is embedded deeply in the popular imagination as Western.
Jesus was born in Asia. He was Asian. Yet the preponderance of Christian art that shows him at home in Europe has meant that he is embedded deeply in the popular imagination as Western.

The artists in this photo essay bring him back to Asia—but not to ancient Israel. They make the birth a local event, translating the story into their own cultural contexts. And so we see Jesus wearing, for example, the bone necklace of an Igorot chief (the Indigenous people of northern Luzon, Philippines) or greeted by water buffalo at a roadside pavilion in Thailand.

Some may object to depicting Jesus as anything other than a brown male born into a Jewish family in Bethlehem of Judea in the first century, believing that doing so undermines his historicity. But Christian artists who tackle the subject of the Incarnation are often aiming not at historical realism but at theological meaning.

Good lord, too funny.

The Nations’ Answer: Israel is in Asia
Geographically speaking, Israel is located in Asia, and more specifically in its section called the Middle East. While it’s a common international regional reference today, the term “Middle East” is a recent one (in the scope of history).

This is the problem with substituting the term "oriental" with the more broad term "Asian.". Jesus was certainly Asian, but not oriental
When you think about an Asian or oriental person you think mongoloid, not middle eastern semitic.

And that's the problem.
Indian.... Asian
Turks.... Asian
Russian.... Asian
Korean.... Asian
Jews... Asian
Jes' sayin'. When I see a person from the middle east, an Arab for example, I don't think, there goes an 'Asian'. I think, there goes one from the middle east,

Forum List

Back