Houston Chronicle removes paywall for Bombshell Story on 400-page report finding Southern Baptist leaders routinely silenced sexual abuse survivors

Too bad they won't report on Hillary Clinton and her authorizing the whole Russia hoax... That needs to be outside the pay wall too...
Or Hunter Biden...or Bengazi...or The Covid hoax...or the vaccines...or corrupt congressmen...or Epstein...or or or or...

But o LAWD we got us a bad Christian Pastor!!

Free information for all!

Vile press...vile culture...

Or Hunter Biden...or Bengazi...or The Covid hoax...or the vaccines...or corrupt congressmen...or Epstein...or or or or...

But o LAWD we got us a bad Christian Pastor!!

Free information for all!

Vile press...vile culture...

No, not a bad pastor. What you have and you know this, is an organization that worked to cover up for bad pastor(s).

And that has been the main problem of the'' good ol boy'' system in SBC and other baptist groups and Independents. :thup: :thup:

Sadly it's a problem with many systems including the government but one would think more out of the church.

When I was a child, my grandmother's neighbor's daughter invited me to go to vacation Bible school at the local Baptist Church. It was fun. When my family moved to a small west Texas town, there were two churches: Catholic and Baptist. Mom picked the Baptist church. The minister there said that the Baptist church was formed at the time of Jesus and was not a protestant organization, but THE original Christian church. I didn't know what to think, but we were Presbyterians and guests in their church for the most part. Another of his sermons said that only Baptists would go to heaven, and that the Baptisms in all other churches were invalid, so we all got baptized by being dunked in a deep pool built inside the Baptist church because they think immersion is the only acceptable kind of baptism. A few months later we moved back home in Houston to be closer to my mother's family. Over the years, I thought about that and realized that God accepts all who love him, and our church chose a more sanitary method of sprinkling water that had ben blessed onto infants, children, and adults alike. Some people are elderly who are baptized, and it saves them the embarrassment of having to change clothes, wear a hospital gown for modesty, and choking on water. I really think God knows whether one has been baptized right or not. It's the loving heart that he sees of the person who is dedicating the rest of their life to his words that are found in the Bible's 66 books. Loving God is what feels happy about being a Christian. Jesus simplified the Old Testament in a way everybody could understand what God expects of his people. As God told Moses about who he is, he told Moses that his name was "I am who I am..." And he loves all of his children who accept God's leadership and decide to be his children by following Christ's footsteps and believe the Word from Genesis to Revelations. It's a pretty happy life that comes from the loving and merciful heart of God.

The 2.2 billion Christians in the world have more people than any other religion. America has 230 million Christians. How Many Christians Are In the World?

I pray for those churches that are dealing with sexual immorality. St. Paul wrote one of his epistles to a Christian community that was experiencing truly bad interpretations about morality. May they return to the warnings of Paul in the Bible about cleaning up their act. And may they be reconciled to the Lord's lovingkind ways and forgiveness.

When I was a child, my grandmother's neighbor's daughter invited me to go to vacation Bible school at the local Baptist Church. It was fun. When my family moved to a small west Texas town, there were two churches: Catholic and Baptist. Mom picked the Baptist church. The minister there said that the Baptist church was formed at the time of Jesus and was not a protestant organization, but THE original Christian church. I didn't know what to think, but we were Presbyterians and guests in their church for the most part. Another of his sermons said that only Baptists would go to heaven, and that the Baptisms in all other churches were invalid, so we all got baptized by being dunked in a deep pool built inside the Baptist church because they think immersion is the only acceptable kind of baptism. A few months later we moved back home in Houston to be closer to my mother's family. Over the years, I thought about that and realized that God accepts all who love him, and our church chose a more sanitary method of sprinkling water that had ben blessed onto infants, children, and adults alike. Some people are elderly who are baptized, and it saves them the embarrassment of having to change clothes, wear a hospital gown for modesty, and choking on water. I really think God knows whether one has been baptized right or not. It's the loving heart that he sees of the person who is dedicating the rest of their life to his words that are found in the Bible's 66 books. Loving God is what feels happy about being a Christian. Jesus simplified the Old Testament in a way everybody could understand what God expects of his people. As God told Moses about who he is, he told Moses that his name was "I am who I am..." And he loves all of his children who accept God's leadership and decide to be his children by following Christ's footsteps and believe the Word from Genesis to Revelations. It's a pretty happy life that comes from the loving and merciful heart of God.

The 2.2 billion Christians in the world have more people than any other religion. America has 230 million Christians. How Many Christians Are In the World?

I pray for those churches that are dealing with sexual immorality. St. Paul wrote one of his epistles to a Christian community that was experiencing truly bad interpretations about morality. May they return to the warnings of Paul in the Bible about cleaning up their act. And may they be reconciled to the Lord's lovingkind ways and forgiveness.

lol we attended Baptist churches, several of them , in West Texas and east Texas and south Texas, and I never once heard anything like that. AS for baptisms, yes they can get dramatic, but Baptists don't force it on babies, like other denominations; most of them are 'Free Will' types; you have to be old enough to be able to decide for yourself.

lol we attended Baptist churches, several of them , in West Texas and east Texas and south Texas, and I never once heard anything like that. AS for baptisms, yes they can get dramatic, but Baptists don't force it on babies, like other denominations, most of them are 'Free Will' types; you have to be old enough to be able to decide for yourself.
Yes, I heard what Mrs. buttress is saying, but it was from the Independent Baptist Preachers what some of us call hardshell baptist. Primitive baptist congregations tend to teach those things.

lol we attended Baptist churches, several of them , in West Texas and east Texas and south Texas, and I never once heard anything like that. AS for baptisms, yes they can get dramatic, but Baptists don't force it on babies, like other denominations; most of them are 'Free Will' types; you have to be old enough to be able to decide for yourself.
I'm glad that doesn't exist in the Baptist Church any more. But what he said to his congregation left a mark on me. My mother's family came over here on the Mayflower. 2019, was our family's 400th anniversary here, and I had a 4-inch hardcover family history that is way too long to read, but two generations ago, we had 3 ministers and a boatload of school teachers in our immediate families past. I didn't care to think of the ministers of Gods' word in the family church as trashed people just because we came up through a different denomination whose hymnals share many of the same hymns, the same Bible, the same Apostles Creed, and led lives of helping others, teaching, and loving our dear God.

I'm so glad to hear from you that maybe the minister in that small town in 1957-8 just got it wrong in his otherwise enthusiasm for the Lord. Thanks for a comforting post.

I'm glad that doesn't exist in the Baptist Church any more. But what he said to his congregation left a mark on me. My mother's family came over here on the Mayflower. 2019, was our family's 400th anniversary here, and I had a 4-inch hardcover family history that is way too long to read, but two generations ago, we had 3 ministers and a boatload of school teachers in our immediate families past. I didn't care to think of the ministers of Gods' word in the family church as trashed people just because we came up through a different denomination whose hymnals share many of the same hymns, the same Bible, the same Apostles Creed, and led lives of helping others, teaching, and loving our dear God.

I'm so glad to hear from you that maybe the minister in that small town in 1957-8 just got it wrong in his otherwise enthusiasm for the Lord. Thanks for a comforting post.

Most Baptists are big on education and studying. Are you sure it was a real Baptist congregation? It doesn't sound like a pastor from any Baptist Seminary I've ever heard of, certainly not one educated at the Baptist college in Abilene.

The only Baptists I know who are famous is Billy Graham and Robert Jeffress. Jack Graham also televises his sermons on TV as well; don't know that he's 'famous' outside Baptists, though. Graham was a member of First Baptist Dallas, same church Jefress is head pastor of. They also sponsor a seminary there. Graham changed churches to a Baptist church in North Carolina when he was 90.

What's the Billy Graham Rule?

The Modesto Manifesto or Billy Graham rule is an extra-biblical Christian practice among men, in which they avoid spending time alone with women to whom they are not married.

Billy Graham rule - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Billy_Graham_rule

Smart man; nobody ever tried to blackmail him.

Most Baptists are big on education and studying. Are you sure it was a real Baptist congregation? It doesn't sound like a pastor from any Baptist Seminary I've ever heard of, certainly not one educated at the Baptist college in Abilene.
I was only 12 years old. Credentials didn't mean a thing to me. Staying with a church experience that said my ministerial grandparents who served people's ups and downs in a discreet and loving, Christ-like way wasn't possible for me. The town population including large ranches within a 40-mile diameter was around 300 people. The school was the community epicenter, the church only had 3 or 4 dozen people, and it was very small. Looking back, the pastor was single and in his mid-twenties. We lived there less than one year. It comforts me to know 63 years later that the Baptists elsewhere have never told people who were not completely immersed in water at baptism they were going to hell.

I was only 12 years old. Credentials didn't mean a thing to me. Staying with a church experience that said my ministerial grandparents who served people's ups and downs in a discreet and loving, Christ-like way wasn't possible for me. The town population including large ranches within a 40-mile diameter was around 300 people. The school was the community epicenter, the church only had 3 or 4 dozen people, and it was very small. Looking back, the pastor was single and in his mid-twenties. We lived there less than one year. It comforts me to know 63 years later that the Baptists elsewhere have never told people who were not completely immersed in water at baptism they were going to hell.

Many Baptists don't consider baptism as necessary for salvation, despite the name of their sect. Baptism is a practice, not a sacrament.

Emily Joy Allison, whose abuse story launched the #ChurchToo movement, said the sexual ethic preached in many conservative churches — and the shame and silence it breeds — are part of the problem. She argues that in her book, “#ChurchToo: How Purity Culture Upholds Abuse and How to Find Healing.”

Allison told The Associated Press that addressing abuse requires both a change in church policy and theology. But she knows the latter is unlikely in the SBC.

#ChurchToo revelations growing, years after movement began

Just like with the Maxwell trial I see the church engaged in a cover up here. They are pretending to come clean. You look at this list and it's not some secret list. It's a list of those who have been caught and prosecuted. Those who have done that are no secret.

The issue is the list of those who have not been caught and charged. That's the list they need to release. I will note, perhaps not initially to the public but most certainly to law enforcement with the reasons they are on that list.

'Scourge of sexual abuse': Southern Baptist list names 12 Ohio pastors

I've told the story before of the last church I ever attended. A deacon, who also owned the land the church sat on, had been there long enough to have molested three generations of girls. Everyone knew about him and yet no one ever said a word against him. This was the mid seventies a golden age for sex predators. It seemed like molesters were everywhere in my childhood church life and victims could be counted on to keep quiet.
Not uncommon.

Finally, the SBC has made some real Reform type changes a little too late for a lot of victims. The link is to an article by a well-known Pastor of the falling away of Pastors from Gods word.

Baptism isn't "sprinkling." The Baptists are right about this. If at all possible, a "Christian" must be BAPTIZED. Even Jesus was immersed.

Forum List

Back